What’s so great about Gravatars?
By: Ashley Robison

2340569137_c3a4d0cc76_b

2340569137_c3a4d0cc76_b

This post is by the lovely Ashe Mischief!

Wait–what? What is a gravatar?

A gravatar is a globally recognized avatar: a image that is connected with your email address. This follows you around the web and shows up next to comments on all blogs & websites that are gravatar-friendly. (Mostly WordPress sites and forums) You can see them in action on dramatis personae and even here on IFB. If you go to any post with comments, you will see that some users have a small picture of themselves or representing their brand next to the comment– that’s their gravatar. Signing up for a gravatar is super easy, and I consider it a must for bloggers!

Gravatars are a simple tool that really can impact your blogging experience. They are a great way to identify yourself & set yourself apart from other bloggers. When 10,000 bloggers have the word “Style” in their name, how do you distinguish yourself from the others? A gravatar means easier identification for other readers & bloggers, and it’s a great way to infuse more of your own personality in to your web presence without any work. Recognition & building relationships with other bloggers becomes as easy as 1-2-3 with the help of a gravatar.

So, now that I’ve signed up, how should I choose a gravatar?

Everyone’s mileage may vary on this, but this is what I try to do myself and find easiest as a blogger:

• Consider using the same image for Twitter & your Gravatar
  • Use an image that is identifiable with the design of your website
  • Use yourself–nothing is more memorable on the anonymous internet than a smiling face!

The nice thing about gravatars is that they’re not permanent. You can change them as regularly as you change your header, your twitter icon, or your personal hair color. But if you can at least keep them all consistent with one another, than you’ve given yourself a little bit of branding that can go a long way!

Image by le vent le cri / CC BY 2.0

Comments

1. This is a very simple but helpful post. I just recently got my own gravatar, after being sick & tired of seeing a blank box next to my name when I comment on others’ blogs. & I’m very glad that I figured out how to make one. I think it’s more personal when you know who you’re talking to.
    .-= Ev`Yan || apricot tea.´s last blog ..apricot’s closet: stripes & drop-crotch pants. =-.

2. eyeliah says:

yes, I have been loving mine. Same image as twitter and flickr too. :-) Also can sign up multiple emails for the same image. And lol, I do have ‘style’ in my site name.

3. Avatar of Jennine Jacob
    Jennine says:

thanks for writing this ashe!
    it took me forever to get my gravitar, i knew about it but somehow i resisted thinking it would be one more thing to maintain, but once i got it… it’s made my community participation a much nicer experience.

4. Jessica says:

Love it, thanks! I’m all for anything that helps with personalization and branding.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..And the award goes to….. =-.

5. I signed up for a gravatar at Jenniene’s suggestion, and I’m so pleased I did. It’s a GREAT idea, and I had no idea it existed before I joined IFB.
    .-= Icy @ Indivdiual Chic´s last blog ..Shop on-line – EziBuy review =-.

6. Julia says:

I think gravatars are a great way to get to know your readers- great post!
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..LizClaiborneNewYork’s Channel =-.

7. Hannah says:

thanks heaps for that post, at the risk of sounding like an idiot i’ve been wondering how to do it for a while!
    .-= Hannah´s last blog ..How To: Black Lipstick (did I really put this on??) =-.

8. Sinta says:

Very helpful! I’ve used gravatars for years. Now I wish I could remember how to change it ^_^ Lol.
    .-= Sinta´s last blog ..Hello, Max Azria =-.

9. Sheena says:

Great post. I’ve been meaning to get a gravatar for the longest time and I plan on signing up for one soon.
    .-= Sheena´s last blog ..Breathtaking: Alaïa F/W 09 =-.

10. Great post gal! I’m loving my gravatar!
    .-= Fajr | Stylish Thought´s last blog ..Style Inspiration: Dirty Diana =-.

11. Ok, I’m off to get my gravatar. This is exactly the type of information that I LOVE to receive by you talented and savvy blog gals. Thank you!
    xo,
    Fabbulous Finds Gal

.-= Fabulous Finds Gal´s last blog ..Chic Camping in France at the Les Ormes Campground~ "Thank God for the Country" by Mrs. Major Arnold =-.

12. A gravatar? I guess I’ll have to check it out!
    .-= MY Fashion Frenzy´s last blog ..Betsey Johnson Speaks About the ‘Retiring’ Rumors =-.

13. Avatar of Ashley Robison
    AsheMischief says:

Ev’Yan, thank you! Sometimes it seems like we’re all looking for big changes to make our presence known, but little things are just as useful!

Eyeliah, I think you’re a perfect example of a blogger whose use of “style” + a gravatar keeps you memorable & personable through your web presence! There are a couple of other ladies who are in a similar position, and I really think it’s because of the name + image that separates them from so many others…

Hannah, Sheena, Jessica, Fab Fashion Finds & My Fashion Frenzy, I’m SO glad that I could help! It was a completely daunting thing to me at one point, & once I actually did it I was like, “WHA? It’s that easy!?”

Jennine, Icy, Julia, Fajr, I’m glad to hear others echoing the love I share with gravatars!
    .-= AsheMischief´s last blog ..The Wholestyle Manifesto =-.

14. M says:

arghh it never ends! so much to learn….tnx such a useful post
    .-= M´s last blog ..Beatriz Camacho @ Colombiamoda July 2009 =-.

15. M–there definitely is a lot to learn– but you have all the time in the world! (And for easy things like this, it’s nothing!)
    .-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..A Taste of Two Loves =-.

16. I signed up earlier today, and really like it. It’s simple to do and is a really good thing to have.

Florrie x
    .-= Intrinsically Florrie´s last blog ..Earring Anniversary =-.

Trackbacks for this post

1. Links à la Mode: Beauty, Style, & the Blogospher | THE COVETED
  2. Bonne Vie - Links à la Mode
  3. Links à la Mode: Beauty, Style, & the Blogosphere | The Demoiselles
  4. Pie à la Mode via Links à la Mode! « Piewacket
  5. Links à la Mode: IFB Beauty, Style & Fashion Bloggers | Meilily
  6. IFB Presents: Links a la Mode | dramatis personae
  7. Links A La Mode: Beauty, Style, & the Blogosphere | ClandestineChic
  8. Links a la Mode: Beauty, Style & the Blogosphere
  9. Links à la Mode –
  10. Links à la Mode | Broke & Beautiful
  11. Links a la Mode « Saved For Best
  12. Cosmetics Makeup Skincare blog » Blog Archive » Independent Fashion Bloggers Presents: Links à la Mode
  13. Independent Fashion Bloggers Presents: Links à la Mode - Get the freshest news and videos here… - SarSar
  14. Style Symmetry » Links à la Mode: IFB Weekly Roundup