How To Cover NYFW…When You Are Not There
By:

ames

This post is by Tierra, The Fashion Techie
Note from Editor:
This can also be applied to any other city’s fashion week as well!

New York Fashion Week (NYFW) is the one event that every fashion blogger wants to go to. Some fashion bloggers are lucky. Either they live in New York, work for fashion pr firms, get sponsorships to fly out to NYFW, get cool tech products to test out; and some receive invites to the hottest events. But, everyone isn’t that lucky. Some of us can’t make it for many reasons, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t cover the event.

Here are a few tips to help you cover NYFW on your blog without being there.

Partner With Other Fashion Bloggers

One way to cover NYFW without being in attendance is to partner with bloggers who will be there. Finding out who is going and who isn’t may require a little detective work, but once you figure it out you can offer a partnership. Even though they may be covering the event for their own blog, many fashion bloggers want to reach a larger audience while they are there.

Guest posting is a great way to keep your readers in the know. Find out who is going and offer them the opportunity to post a guest post to your blog. I suggest finding more than one blogger to partner with. That way, you have a guest post from someone at NYFW throughout the entire event.

Online Events & Updates

This year online events were everywhere. Everything from live Twittering to live video updates.  Style Coalition has an amazing program called Inside The Tents. These group of fashion bloggers update Twitter during NYFW using the hashtag #nyfw. They also produce live videos and provide up to the minute interviews. This tool alone will keep you in the know so you can write about NYFW on your blog. Another great resource is fashionweeknyc, a tweeter with over 6,000 followers who updates constantly during NYFW. With a little research you can a number of live Twitter parties, FB events and live video.

Press Releases

Press releases can be a bloggers best friend, especially if you know where to look. RSS feeds are the best way to keep up to date with NYFW press releases. PRWeb, and other sources, provide you with RSS feeds for different categories, including fashion. During and before NYFW, there are tons of press releases about upcoming shows, celebrities, swag bags and more. RSS feeds can bring that information directly to you so you don’t have to look for it.

Live Interviews

Technology is amazing. Through the use of Twitter, Skype, Text messaging and podcasts, you can actually interview people during fashion week, after fashion week or before fashion week. The NYFW Schedule is posted online for you to find out exactly who is showing when. We all know getting an interview Carolina Herrera may be impossible, but what about those doing hair, dressing assistants, interns, makeup, etc? These people are usually forgotten, but they not only know the inside scoop, but would love to be interviewed and featured on your blog. Also, remember, everyone doesn’t show in the tents. When I had the opportunity to go to NYFW, the majority of shows where in boutiques and art galleries….that’s where many find amazing undiscovered talents.

Engage Readers

Citizen journalism is powerful, ask CNN. It’s an amazing tool to get readers involved. Reach out to your readers and find out which ones are going to NYFW or live in NY and offer citizen journalism assignments. They can cover the events for you while competing for a prize. The best journalist could win products from one of your sponsors, a gift bag or a gift certificate.

Online Radio

If you are really feeling committed to covering NYFW, you can start an online radio show. Blog Talk Radio is a great free tool and you’d be surprised the number of people that will be interested in being on a radio show. Get your schedule together now and line up guests; it could be an incredible opportunity.

Hire Someone

So, if you have a little money on the side, you may consider hiring someone to cover NYFW for you. You could pay them per article and require them to live in NY and they must already be going to NYFW. It’s a great way for fashion interns, college students and aspiring designers to make a little extra money on the side. If you start now, you can provide them with media credentials to certain events and line up interviews and assignments for them to cover.

These are only a few ideas and opportunities. Don’t let the fact that you can’t be at NYFW stop you from providing coverage that your readers expect. Get involved, research and get out there.

Comments

1. WendyB says:

And I’ll add “Don’t post 100,000 runway shots you ‘borrow’ from style.com without any meaningful commentary because WendyB doesn’t want to see the same boring shizz on every blog.”
    .-= WendyB´s last blog ..Seeing Blue =-.

lol.. I totally agree. Posting tons of images is not covering fashion week! ;) thxs wendy

• A-fucking-men to that. I think if you don’t go to it and if nobody covers it for you IN PERSON, then don’t cover it. Either take a week off blogging, or find some really amazing stuff to talk about that has NOTHING to do with NYFW (or any FW you are not going to). And please, please please, no pseudo analysis of the shows with masses of photos borrowed from Style.com. If I want to read a show analysis and see the photos, I will go DIRECTLY to Style.com.
      .-= Mademoiselle Robot´s last blog ..Quick & Easy Vintage Curls tutorial =-.

• lol! I hope that my post did encourage those that do decide to cover it without being there to get original content. I absolutely hate those who just post images during fw w/o any inside scoop or interviews. But I agree.. if you can’t put in the work to get original interviews, hire someone or get guest bloggers to post original content.. not just reposing.. don’t do it. Just let it go. ;)

• Ashley says:

This thread brings up some pretty interesting points. Personally, I think it’s great when bloggers provide an analysis of their favorite shows. I understand Mme. Robot’s point in saying that she’d rather read Style.com but to become a fashion writer on a site like that takes practice and time spent cultivating a strong perspective and that’s what many really amazing bloggers are using their sites for. Let’s not be too harsh or closed off to them! It’s kind of amazing the insight and critiques that you can get from emerging writers when things like sponsorship, ads, and designer relations aren’t in the mix. After all, many people in the industry have been arguing that Style.com and WWD are getting soft on designers… Just a thought.

2. Thanks so much for this post! I have always shied away from covering fashion weeks, and runway fashion in general because it all seems so overwhelming and distant. I will definitely be putting some of these ideas into motion though.
    .-= Rosie Unknown´s last blog ..What I Wore: Maybe Vintage =-.

3. Avatar of Julia Dinardo
    Julia says:

What an excellent article! You really ran the gamut with great ideas on ways to cover NYFW from afar – Bravo!
    I will be covering NYFW again, and if anyone wants to use my existing posts as a guest post or re-post, just let me know!
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Susan Farber Picadilly Handbag Giveaway =-.

4. IdilVice says:

These are some great tips for fashion bloggers! But why stuck up the channels with duplicate images and text? For personal and professional enjoyment there is still nothing better than to attend the shows yourself though. You’ll add that personal touch to your unique report. It will make you stand out. You don’t have to cover all FW everywhere in the world, right?
    .-= IdilVice´s last blog ..elvis herselvis =-.

• One thing for certain, everyone hates duplicate content!! I hate it myself. Unfortunately, the fact still remains that some just can’t make it but want to be involved. Hopefully they take a unique strategy to reporting if they choose to do so.

• roni says:

to be quite honest, not everyone sees fashion the same. A runway show I may take as boring, someone else might like the accessories or hair. I don’t mind people reposting as long as it’s personal!

5. Sandra says:

amen WendyB.

6. liz says:

yeah…I am guilty..but it wasn’t for fashion week or for anything at all and during a random month… I just love Gareth Pugh’s collection!…lesson learned. : )

7. Ondo Lady says:

This is great advice and quite timely as I am going to be doing to be referencing NY Fashion Week when it is on. I don’t really cover catwalk shows as I like to leave that to the big boys like style.com and Vogue as well as other fashion bloggers who do it so well. I like to write about the fashion industry from a pop cultural point of view so you have given me quite a few tips to follow up. Thanks a lot. Also I agree with Wendy B; seeing lots of blogs posting the same image after image from the shows is oh so boring. Be brave and create some original content.
    .-= Ondo Lady´s last blog ..My Space – JJ Miller from This Little Lady Went to London =-.

8. This is very interesting commentary :) I’ve been to a few fashion weeks but not for the past few season but I still feel I should give it a tiny bit of coverage on my blog. Also, I really don’t mind getting a post or two on some people’s take on the recent shows, etc – I have also been know to pick a few (but only a few) favorites pieces from shows that I like and do a collage, or similar (yes, sometimes even with images from style.com).

THAT BEING SAID… I totally I get what others are saying here and it does get old really quickly especially if you only do FW related posts for the whole FW OR you don’t have anything interesting to add. At least mix it up and/or keep it concise when you do cover it. Anyway, interesting article, thanks!
    .-= meg, reckless daughter´s last blog ..red legs =-.

9. I think it’s really powerful that every1 here is finally standing up against duplicate content online! It’s a powerful message that needs to be repeated over and over again.

10. Jen says:

I agree on the dupe content conversation we have goin on here! I actually took a break from reading blogs during FW last time b/c it was either the same stuff on every blog OR just posting & reposting of runway photos. I became bored and uninterested – those are not feelings I want to associate w/ FW :(

Don’t worry – those feelings didn’t last too long…

11. Very informative article. But I don’t think anyone should “fake it” when it comes to reporting. Be sure to quote your source, and don’t write a report “as if” you were there. It’s a bad thing !!!
    .-= Alison Blackman´s last blog ..M-A-C- In The Studio Items Help You Ring In A New Year =-.

• No one should “fake it” . This is about covering when you can’t attend……not pretending you are there and covering it. lol, lying about where you are is silly. Having guest posts, interviews and journalist is a great way to diversify content, if it’s unique. Magazines can’t be everywhere..they send journalist out to write unique posts….same concept here.

12. Heather says:

This is good to know. But I agree with Mme. Robot, if you can’t actually be there at the event, don’t cover it….. Not being there defeats the purpose, so why bother. That’s how I do it, when I can’t attend an event, I don’t cover it….. I may have the flyer up in my “events” page, but that’s about it.

13. Ashley says:

Wow, this thread brings up some pretty interesting points. Personally, I think it’s great when bloggers provide an analysis of their favorite shows. I understand Mme. Robot’s point in saying that she’d rather read Style.com but to become a fashion writer on a site like that takes practice and time spent cultivating a strong perspective and that’s what many really amazing bloggers are using their sites for. Let’s not be too harsh or closed off to them! It’s kind of amazing the insight and critiques that you can get from emerging writers when things like sponsorship, ads, and designer relations aren’t in the mix. After all, many people in the industry have been arguing that Style.com and WWD are getting soft on designers… Just a thought.

14. kelsi says:

I am one of those who will post catwalk images of shows, if I’m not in attendance, but certainly not every show, and rows & rows of images with no text, usually just a round up of my favourite looks over the week in collage style with my own op-ed commentary.

Is this something that is generally frowned upon? I’m curious because I enjoy doing it and giving my opinion/perspective.

But I agree, nothing replaces being there, original pictures and original commentary, but I also don’t want to ignore the fact it’s happening.
    .-= kelsi´s last blog ..Bargain Hunter: NYX Cosmetics Dollar Sale =-.

• I think blogging is about inspiration and if you have your favorite shows and you want to post images from them, I think it’s great. However, I do think that some people have overdone it and just post just to be posting. Your readers know you and you know your blog, and as long as you are happy with what you are posting and you feel that what you are posting is inline with your blogs mission, i think that’s what makes an astounding fashion blogger.

There are definitely 2 sides to this argument. Some bloggers may feel that if don’t have the privilege to be there then that means you can’t post about it. I think that’s crazy…buts that my opinion.

15. sara says:

Practical & informative stuff – I am heading to NYFW if anyone needs a partner/guest posting, may also be doing a few shows at London Fashion week too….

16. Amazing post. It is hard to get the true feel of fashion week without being there; but by staying up on information from a handful of reliable sources, it’s easy to proffer enough knowledge to your readers, and make it sound as if you were sitting front row center!! :)
    .-= Cafe Fashionista´s last blog ..Style Secrets: Cowboy Boots Made Classy =-.

17. Pam says:

Good article but my comment is directed to some of the other bloggers who left a response.
    Why not just post pictures from Style.com if that’s what someone wants to post on their blog. Not everyone is looking to get something out of blogging – we don’t all want to sell something, become a stylist or a fashion journalist. Some of us do it as a means of referencing what inspires us at the time and as a way to compare likes/dislikes with friends. If someone else comes across your blog and wants to add a comment, then all the better. I myself will probably be going to style.com straight from writing this comment. Although my friends are a stylish bunch they don’t delve so deeply into fashion as I do, therefor they can pick up snippets from my blog and if something catches their attention then they can look at a blog by someone who might have experienced it first hand. I think there is far too much snobbery with blogging now – who gives a fuck what people post about. If what you see on a certain blog isn’t good enough for you then click away from it.

• Tony Wang says:

Amen Pam – I agree completely.

Blogging is a personal exercise for many people. Scaring them off with strong criticisms of their content is not the point of a blogging community. Being critical is fine, but reading people say how much they hate the content just comes off as being a tad too strong. We’re not all here to make a living from blogging, some bloggers genuinely enjoy adding their own commentary on already reported content.

Trackbacks for this post

1. The Fashion Techie » IFB – How To Cover NYFW When You Are Not There
  2. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | Independent Fashion Bloggers
  3. Links à la Mode: Style: An Introspective Approach | THE COVETED
  4. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup – Alice in Stilettos
  5. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup
  6. M.I.S.S On Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | M.I.S.S.
  7. Links à la mode – 14th January 2010 | // Fade to #C5C5C5
  8. IFB Links a la Mode Jan 14th « A Dress and A Bike
  9. IFB’s Links à la Mode: January 14, 2010 | Cool Mama Style
  10. Links à la Mode for week of January 14th, 2010 « White Rabbit
  11. Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | TheWorkingWardrobe.com
  12. Links a la Mode for January 15, 2010 | Unfunded
  13. Links à La Mode: Style, An Introspective Approach | Bonne Vie
  14. Links à la Mode | DailyDivaDish
  15. stylishkidsinriot.com hearts fashion, music, party, lifestyle on the cutting edge » Blog Archive » (Guide) How to sneak into a Runway Show
  16. Getting ready to blog about Fashion Week | Style Sample Magazine.com