The IFB Fair Compensation Manifesto

We are Independent Fashion Bloggers. We may blog professionally. We may blog as a hobby. We have built our influence and trust with our readers over time. Our skills have enabled us to grow our communities, and provide content for our readers to enjoy.

As fashion blogging has hit the mainstream, we fashion bloggers have been approached by a growing number of companies asking for all types of coverage and advice on how to navigate the new media. In many instances companies have enabled bloggers to provide content that they could not ordinarily cover on our own, and to which we are grateful. It has helped the medium grow and gain more credibility. However, there have also been a growing number of proposals from companies disguised as opportunities that do not add editorial value to our blogs, nor do they present any real benefit to us at all.

We understand the difference between editorial, news and promotional content.  We do believe in helping our friends, our community, each other. However, we also recognize the difference between good will and companies profiting off our work.

We believe we should be fairly compensated for promotional work, for providing material to be sold by a third party, for sharing our knowledge to companies who will profit from that said knowledge.

We believe we should be fairly compensated if we are asked to do the following things:

• Asked to write a post that is clearly promotional, NOT editorial… even if our readers might benefit
  • Asked to make specific endorsements to increase sales and/or for promotions with specific terms
  • Asked to publish specific text or specific links in a post during a specific time frame
  • Asked for anything that will be sold for money ie – photos for book
  • Asked for expert in-depth opinion about products or services
  • Asked for contacts, specialized lists of bloggers that might help a brand

The above items do not fall into the category of gifting products for potential editorial coverage. When a blogger is given something with the demand to post in a specific time frame, any coverage is no longer editorial but promotional.

We value our work, our talent, our time, and our influence.

We ask for fair compensation because we believe this will help establish the medium of blogging as a whole, establish credibility, and instill a sense of professionalism in our trade. Fair compensation will provide a greater service to companies, to our readers and to ourselves in the long run.

Thank you.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If you would like a badge for your blog, the html code is below the badge.

Please RT this post to show solidarity.

About The Author

Profile photo of Jennine Jacob

1. precilla

Bravo! I will defiantly putt the badge on my website.

I really appreciate what you are doing for the blogging community. It’s great that us bloggers are supporting each other in any way we can.

take care!

x pris

2. La Carmina

Well said. It’s important to put our foot down, especially now with the FTC regulations. Know your worth, bloggers!

3. Mikelle S

I love this manifesto! I’ve retweeted and considered making a page on my blog specifically for it lol. I’m about to grab the badge as well :)

4. Nicky

I just added the badge and want to say a big thank you. Hopefully now people will know immediately that I’m not a push over!! and if they don’t they soon will……

5. keren B

I totally agree! Blogging its not easy and should take more seriously because we are the voice of the costumers..

Keren B

6. julia

YES! Thank you! The only way it will get better in this regard for ALL of us, is if we all abide by this – thanks Jennine!

7. x Corrine/Frock & Roll x

Hear, hear! Not only did I almost sprain my neck from nodding so vigorously to this, but I actually sent the link to this piece to someone who e-mailed me today: their e-mail address said that their name was ‘Sarah’ but they signed off as ‘Papia’, and she contacted me to inform me that she worked for a team of ”talented copywriters” who would be more than happy to write ”an informative article from a range of topics” for Frock & Roll in exchange for a permanent link to their website. Um, NO. I hope she/he/they/it enjoys the read as much as I did! 😀

8. LuceBuona

L O V E it!!!
    Thanks for posting it! I´ll ad the banner to my blog and re-twit the article!!! 😀

Yeiii! Let´s stand united fashion bloggers!

9. Krista

If only… I’d be rich! … THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for writing this. I will be displaying it at Style Epiphany. Perfection.

10. Lem

Just found this, and it is awesome! I’d say it applies to all sorts of blogging, as well.

11. Mimi

This is awesome!

I just put the badge onto my blog. However, the HTML code given does not work with Blogger apparently, but I tweaked it and all’s good. If anybody needs help putting it onto their blog (or maybe it’s just me?) don’t hesitate to ask.

Peace.

12. Marusya V

Great manifesto! Hope posting a badge on my blog will reduce the number of ‘attacks’ by brands trying to get in for free…
    Thank you lovelies!
    xox

13. Profile photo of Maria Alyssa
    Maria Alyssa

this is awesome. I’ve been a member of IFB for almost 2 years now and I just discovered this. I will definitely RT this post and post the badge on my blog :). BRAVO!

14. Mary

I know I am late to this, but wanted to comment.

Just yesterday, I received emails from two different brands. One wanted me to do a product review (the free product would be my compensation) and they were letting me have complete editorial control over what was in the post. They would provide hi-res pics of the product I chose to use in addition to my own pictures (which is greatly appreciated since my pictures aren’t always top notch). But they specifically said I don’t have to use them, but they are there if I need them in case I can’t do pictures of my own. The second was for promotional content, but worded in such a way as if I was super lucky to be “invited” to share this exclusive launch. A press release would be provided to me to include in my post. In other words, none of the words in the post would be my own. Since this is the very first time I have been contacted by ANY brand for my blog, I have to admit I was tempted to automatically say yes.

Then I found this post. THANK YOU. I accepted the first offer as it was clear that they were just getting their name out there through honest reviews. But I emailed the second brand back and asked them about compensation since this was strictly promotional content rather than editorial. The email response basically said “we aren’t looking to exchange monetary/product payment since this is an exclusive launch.” The guy continued to try and convince me of how lucky I was to be included in this…as though that justified using my time and blog space to advertise for them. It was actually kind of insulting. You can’t take out ad space in newspapers, magazines, or anything of the sort without paying for it. So why should I do it for free? I emailed him back and politely declined. I thanked him for the opportunity and told him to keep me in mind should we both be able to benefit from future launches. Let me tell you…it was HARD to do. My excitement over being contacted by brands almost won out. But I want to be looked at as a professional, not a giddy little kid. I want to be taken seriously, not taken advantage of.

Bottom line, if not for this post, I would have allowed myself to be used. And not just by this one brand, but potentially others as well. I cannot thank you enough for helping me see the value of my time and my work. I have put up the badge on my blog to remind future potential contacts that I am worthy of compensation for the work they want me to do.