Boy oh boy IFB community! My post last week on 20 Signs You're A Real Fashion Blogger stirred up a lot of heated conversation in the comments (we're up to 94 and counting). It seems the majority of you found the post humorous and easy to relate to, but a significant (and vocal) part of our readers were deeply concerned that the list reinforced a stereotype about fashion bloggers and didn't represent the goals and mission of IFB. To those of you who are upset – I hear you. And that's what today's post is about. I want to talk a little more about this and open up the conversation further.
The post was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek but also pretty realistic list of qualities that many fashion bloggers possess. Do they all apply to everyone? Of course not. Should everything I write be taken completely seriously? I sure hope not. (Remember this and this?) For my part, I want to keep the content of IFB helpful, informative but also fun to read. That's just my style: I like to find humor in what we do, and if I can make you smile a little and recognize something ridiculous that we bloggers might have in common – I want to share it!
So on that note, I hope that those of you who were offended by the post can forgive me. I won't apologize for writing it because I stand behind it's message, but I want to be clear that I understand where your concern comes from and reassure you that IFB will always continue to bring our community support, advice and legitimately useful posts on a regular basis.
For your re-c0nsideration, 20 MORE signs you're a Real Fashion Blogger:
- You know what SEO stands for, and it matters to you. A lot.
- Forget new purchases, you shop your closet better than Barney's when you need a new outfit post
- You set aside at least an hour a day to attend to your blog, whether its maintenance, comments, photos, or posting…
- You leave sincere and thoughtful comments on your favorite blogs
- You've been introduced to someone with, “This is my friend so-and-so, you know, the one with the blog.”
- You never ask people to follow you on Twitter or in another blog's comments – you know they'll come around on their own.
- Tumblr is one of your favorite places to find outfit inspiration
- You can't go more than a few hours without checking your Pinterest page to see what's been added to your feed
- You've woken up in bed from a late night of blogging spooning your laptop – more than once.
- An outfit doesn't feel complete to you without just the right shade of nail polish
- Your friends totally know that look in your eye when you're about to ask them to take your picture – alone. Looking into the distance. With a hand on your hip.
- Your computer-based multi-tasking abilities are unparalleled. At any given time you might be reading a post in your RSS feed, tweeting about it, updating your blogroll, listening to music and working on an expense report for work – while eating a turkey sandwich.
- The term “fail whale” is in your regular lexicon.
- You have a hard time talking to people who don't get social media
- Any post worth doing – is worth doing well. Period.
- HTML For Dummies is on your holiday wish list this year
- Your internet browser's bookmark toolbar includes both your ‘clip to Polyvore' tool and your ‘pin it' tool
- You just don't feel productive unless you have at least 7 tabs open on Firefox or Safari
- You're excited to have a little time off around the holidays because it will give you more free time to work on your site and put some posts in the bank for the next crazy work/school week
- Your blog is the manifestation of the best, most beautiful, talented, fashionable and smart version of yourself
So what do you think of this list? Is it accurate? Do you prefer this one or last weeks? Did you seriously fall asleep spooning your laptop last night like I did?
[Photo by Nando Alvarez (outside #IFBcon)]