The one, single, solitary thing I struggle the most with when it comes to blogging – I mean the absolute most – is how to stay interesting. Everyday I wonder: What makes my blog any more readable than another? What can I say, what can I wear, what can I do on social media that will make my point of view worth paying attention to? Sometimes I just feel like I’m in a rut of sameness.
So, how do you differentiate yourself? There’s no proven formula, but I believe what makes a blogger unique comes as much from who they are inside as what they wear outside. If you can create an enticing visual representation of yourself through your blog, that showcases both your inner and outer beauty – that’s really all you could hope for, right? When we’re all wearing clothes and all talking about trends, it can be difficult to feel like you’re special. The sameness can be so stiffling. In a word, everything becomes rather blah.
You’re anything but blah - so show it! Here are IFB’s top tips to avoid being a blah-ger:
- Tell your readers a story. Take a few cues from this amazing post on Copyblogger that’s all about the magic of Downton Abbey. With seriously addictive plotlines and characters we can all relate to, this show has become a sensation. You, too, can be a sensation.
- Avoid re-publishing others’ photos when you can – save that for Pinterest!
- Incorporate some video into a post every now and then – IFB think’s it’s the next big thing… Whether it’s a 360 degree view of an outfit, a haul video or an inteview – spice things up with another media source.
- Shop at thrift, consignment and vintage stores to show off your style with pieces no one else has! Showcase them with vivid photographs and style them with modern pieces from your closet. This is something that a lot of people do, but always looks fresh because the vintage pieces are usually one-of-a-kind!
- Be a real personality on Twitter. Be silly, be opinionated, be smart. Share links & entertain your followers. (Here’s my more comprehensive post on being a social (media) butterfly.)
- Don’t recycle other blogs’ DIY projects. Channel your inner Martha and make what you want.
- When you make a photo collage, add your own special touches like graphics, numbers, arrows and descriptive text. Picnik.com is a great place to start (though they are shuttering in April, so hurry!)
- Try adding one post a week that’s totally different than what you usually publish. Highlight another facet of your life, your interests and your hobbies. Are you a musician? Can you cook? Do you work out a lot or play sports? Is your husband or boyfriend a fascinating human? Do you have a pet? Showcase another side of yourself that makes you different.
- Relate an outfit post to something completely seperate from fashion. Think about works of art, meals, architecture, design, interiors, animals, exotic travels – anything that can add variety and depth of thought to your style posts.
- Use photo-sharing social media apps to give your readers and followers a glimpse into your daily life. While it’s true that many, many bloggers do this, it’s a successful venture because everyone’s life is different!
How do you stay unique and special in this crazy community of ours? What do you think makes your blog special? Share your insights in the comments!