How to Write an Awesome Social Media Bio

160 characters or less. That’s all the space you have to convince the world at large to follow you and your brilliant tweets, instagram pictures and other various steams of your digital life. If you think it’s not important – take a second to reflect on the times you’ve decided not to follow someone back because they don’t have a bio, or because their bio makes no sense to you. I know I’m guilty of that offense! So what can you do to make your bio cause people to fall over themselves in their rush to follow you?

Tips for writing a good twitter or instagram bio

Easy, use our simple formula.

IFB’s Formula for Writing the Perfect Bio

Who You Are + What You Do + A Peek of Personality

Yup. It’s that easy. Need an example? Let’s start with my bio:

Girl who loves blogging, fashion, photography, Hogwarts, sharks & high heels. Digital Strategist for @_IFB. Boating enthusiast.

Here’s what you get from that – I’m a girl. I like blogging, I work at IFB, appreciate a nautical lifestyle and fashion, I’m also a Harry Potter fan. So – if you follow me you’ll get a little taste of all of that.

Here are a few more of our favorite social media bios… how’s yours doing? Let us know in the comments!

[portfolio_slideshow]

About The Author

Profile photo of crissie.fuller

1. Kelsey

Awesome tips!! People should definitely take note. (Not me so much since I am one of the featured bios ) … haha. But really, your bio makes all the difference on twitter!

2. Célèste

Thanks for all the tips and the great examples. I gave mine the once over and it now says, “Personal style blogger, craftress, photographer, foodie, aesthete, auntie, and lover of all things mint green”

3. Sentha

Help me with my bio:
    Lover of A-to-Z and aim to compile every ‘footprint’ she made in her life. Cyclist wannabe. Random thoughts. ** LIVE TODAY ** 😀

I also like discussing about gadget and self-development. How to add it in 160 charcs? :(

• Itsme

You’ve probably done it by now, and im VERY late, but here are my suggestions :D. you could write “me” or “likes”, something along the lines of that, and list gadget and self-development. You could also move the “cyclist wannabe” into the list. Hope I helped. :)

4. chelsea

Great tips! really helpful! …..
    but what if this is all a little too mainstream for my liking. I want my bio to be different, funky and out there! something that you don’t see everyday and gets followers intrigued about me! at the momment my INSTAGRAM says “Hakuna Matata” which is the saying from the movie “Lion King” which means no worries for the rest of your days. I also saw something like this “save the drama from the lama and meet my pet monkey” I know it doesn’t make sense but it is very outgoing and interesting in a way. I don’t want to give away too much information about me Becasue I will let my pictures do the talking! thanks! much appreciated! please help!

5. Sallie

This reeaaly helped me! I read mine usually and think mine sounds dorkish. Hope for me yet, lol.

6. lucy

mine is:
    ~see that blue button, yeaa id tap that!
    ~laughing at my own jokes,cause yaa,you know im funny
    ~i’m lovin it

7. summer

My bio: I love ass and nirvana. I have no shame in embarressing myself. Outspoken and I just dont give a fuck. My best hobbys are eating and sleeping. I say nipples alot.

8. adriana

alright heres mines hope it helps:

Im adriana(emoji:star)
    real girls arent perfect,perfect girls arent real(emoji:ok)
    real eyes,realize,real lies (emoji:clapping)

emoji=the iphone faces

9. Casey

Mine: CVHS freshman, track, 15, passionate, lover of all things lipstick, majoring in procrastination, former princess, current crazy cat lady.

10. Angelica

yeah it really helped a lot mine is:
    Half human half mermaid, Hates peoples but loves God + 15 yrs. of existence.

11. Mayra Munoz

FOLLOW ME ON IG: @UglyyMayra
    Facebook: Odhed Munoz
    Twitter : @UglyyMayra

12. Ayman

Mine says my name at the top then the actual bio says
    I’m ready for the world.
    Is the world ready for me?

13. Madi

you are
    the only
    exception.❥

^^thats mine cause I didn’t know what to put and I kind of wanted a tumblr bio any suggestions?

14. Cecelia

14 years young
    ƒ⚙ᑕƘ ᗩ ƒᗩƘƎ ƒЯᎥƎИᎠ ᏔℍƎЯƎ У⚙υЯ ЯƎᗩℓ ƒЯᎥƎИᎠᔕ ᗩ✞
    Love my babes 😉

15. __hey_its_jess__

LOTR Nerd, Freckle-Face, Diagnosed With “Unabletotakeagoodselfieitis”, Untourtured Young Artist, And Lover of All Sparkles and Rainbows.

Thanks!!!

16. Charlie

Mine on Instagram is : insert meaningful crap about life here
    Lol it’s weird ino my IG is charlie2k13xox

17. Nil

Here is mine !:) what do u think?!
    *an architecture student who loves photography ,painting (mostly animals),horse riding and also “Delores” (my 2yr iguana)

18. KailiAnn

Mine is:
    KailiAnn(:

#⃣5⃣0⃣
    Być liderem. . .
    **insert inspirational quote here**
    十Psalm 37:5十
    Just watch me.

19. relatable_posts11

I have a relatable posts account on Instagram, and I’m having a really hard time coming up with a bio. I only have 150 characters. I want it to be funny and amusing. My account is a anonymous, so I don’t want to give specific things about myself like my gender or age. Help!

20. Brianna

My bio-

Just a tumblr addicted violinist who fails at math and likes to think she’s a shadowhunter. Cats and books and string instruments make me happy.

21. Lila ellefson

I Need you to give me a idea my bio is

Swiggity swag I’m fab
    (Heart)Chase(heart)

22. Ang c

you can say …
    some of my favorite things are…..,……,and ……(a singer, food , place you like) ..I also ____(draw,sing,run,ect) an activity u like

23. shaney

Hey i really need help with mine!!
    I’m 21 and live in london. I love LOTR/poetry/reading/taking pics.
    I want to write something fun and witty, but can’t think of anything!
    Help!

24. Lauren

If you don’t know what to put, you could quote your favorite song cuz it’s kinda artsy. I changed, but mine was:

25. Arden

hey!
    another suggestion is; at the top of your bio you could say:
    how to lose weight on Instagram? beee active

26. Chloe

Hi,

Great tips although I can’t see the slide show! Anyone else having this problem? Would be really useful to see the examples if possible?

Thanks,
    Chloe

27. Firdos

i think its good :)

Please guys follow me on Instagram: “firdosalisha” – and i follow back thanks <3