What Do Demographics Tell Us About Social Media?
By: Chelsea Burcz

Social Media imitating real life

Is social media starting to imitate real life? Recently, the BBC reported that 90% of US traffic on Pinterest are white, and that Tumblr had a higher than average percentage of Asian American users.

On the other hand, the Hispanic and African American population combined claim 30% of Twitter’s user base — which makes sense considering that the actual population of the United States has somewhat similar statistics.

“The Internet mirrors and magnifies everyday life. All of the divisions that exist in every day life, including those by race and class, actually re-emerge online,” Microsoft researcher Danah Boyd said.

So the question emerges — is social media replicating real life populations in the United States? Or are certain races clinging to certain types of social media?

Comments

1. Cynthia says:

I guess I need to give my Asian card back because I don’t use my Tumblr very much. My Pinterest on the other hand…

2. Candy Carver says:

I had no idea that social media had tendencies like that. I use tweeter way more than any of the other options because I like quick and easy!

3. Ally says:

I guess I’m different from the demographics! I use my tumblr far more often than my Pintrest. To answer your question, I would say both. Maybe Asian American bloggers were introduced to Tumblr before Pintrest and have remained loyal – who knows.

4. Crystin says:

I have definitely noticed more black people on twitter than pinterest and tumblr. I don’t know what it is, but there’s seems to be a gravitation towards twitter.

5. Monica says:

This is really interesting, and creepily accurate. There’re exceptions obviously (I’m black and I’m in tumblr ALL the time, but I just got a twitter a few months ago and I forget about it) but this actually matches my friends and I. :) bizzare

6. lola999 says:

Social media doesn’t imitate life unless a race card comes up with every app you use. In fact, that is the beauty of social media: you use what you love regardless of race, gender, social class and background.

And honestly, don’t need an analysis of who uses what. i don’t care and we shouldn’t care.

Some things I don’t want to know.

7. This insight is very interesting. As a 2nd generation Canadian of Jamaican heritage, the idea of a social media elite sprung into my mind. As a blogger, author and entrepreneur, I look forward to seeing how this trend evolves.

8. Amber says:

Interesting because I notice A TON of black people on Tumblr. I guess it depends on who you are following :)