11 Quick Grammar Refreshers For Fashion Bloggers
By: Taylor Davies

shutterstock_96203960

The grammar on you’re blog is more important then you think. The affects of being lose with you’re blogs editing and how you right will effect how it’s received by literally everyone.

Yikes. That was painful to do. Most likely you’re not making this many grammar errors in one post (let alone one sentence!) but we all slip up from time to time, and truthfully – there are a few rules that trip up even the most seasoned of IFB editors. (I’m notorious for misusing “its” and “it’s.”)

To refresh your elementary school and middle school teachings, we’ve taken some of the most common grammar errors in the English language and put them into hypothetical sentences a fashion blogger might use. Trust us, this will be more fun than Googling their, there and they’re!

11 Grammar Tips For Fashion Bloggers

Then vs. Than

• Use “then” to talk about things that happen in succession.
    • I’m going to upload and edit this picture to Instagram, then tweet it to my followers.
  • Use “than” to compare one thing to another.
    • I have uploaded more Instagram photos than any blogger I know.

Your vs. You’re

• “Your” is possessive; use it to indicate something that belongs to someone.
    • I think your topknot looks amazing in that photo.
  • “You’re” is a conjunction of you and are.
    • You’re going to love my site’s new redesign!

Its vs. It’s

• Use “its” when speaking in the possessive.
    • You could say that the gold detailing on that bag is its best feature.
  • “It’s” is the conjunction for “it is.”
    • Are you sure it’s okay if I borrow your Celine luggage tote to go camping this weekend?

Affect vs. Effect

• “Affect” means to influence or produce a reaction, and is almost always a verb.
    • I hope that my lack of posting doesn’t affect my traffic too much.
  • “Effect” is the resulting thing that comes from the affecting agent, and describes the outcome. It’s usually a noun.
    • My post on “How To Wear Denim Shorts” had a huge effect on my traffic yesterday.

Loose vs. Lose

• “Loose” means not tight or free from constraint.
    • These boyfriend jeans are very loose on my waist, which is nice.
  • “Lose” means to fail to keep, win or make something (like money, for example.)
    • You might lose a lot of readers if you only wear those boyfriend jeans on your blog.

Literally vs. Figuratively

• “Literally” means really or actually, in the strictest sense of the word.
    • I literally fainted when she told me that Anna Wintour reads my blog.
  • “Figuratively” refers to something metaphorical or analogous (like “virtually”).
    • Figuratively speaking, I would sell my soul for the new Raf Simons collection for Dior Couture.

Lay vs. Lie

• “Lay” is a transitiveverb, meaning it requires a direct subject and one or more objects. Its present tense is “lay” and its past tense is “laid.”
    • To get a great image, I’m going to lay my jewelry out on the counter to photograph it.
    • I laid all my jewelery out on the counter to photograph it yesterday.
  • “Lie” is an intransitiveverb, which means it needs no object. Its present tense is “lie” and its past tense is “lay.”
    • The heart of my personal style lies somewhere between masculine and feminine influences.
    • My love for fashion lay dormant until I started reading my mom’s old issues of Vogue.

Which vs. That

• “That” is a restrictive pronoun, meaning it is vital to the noun to which it’s referring.
    • I won’t buy any handbags that aren’t made in the United States.
  • “Which” introduces a relative clause and allows qualifiers that may not be essential (it qualifies). However, it has a flexible meaning, and can often be used to introduce a restrictive clause.
    • I read her blog sporadically, which is to say hardly ever.
    • This handbag, which was made in the United States, is 100 percent cotton.

Envy vs. Jealousy

• “Envy” is about longing for someone’s good fortune and coveting that which belongs to someone else.
    • I really envy her ability to whip out three blog posts a day and still have time to work out and raise a family.
  • “Jealousy” is more about a fear of rivalry, and implies a sense of competition.
    • I think she’s jealous that I won the Bloglovin’ Award because she wasn’t even nominated.

Few vs. Less

• Use “few” or “fewer” when referring to things you can quantify.
    • There were fewer than 3 comments on her post about how much she likes boot-leg jeans.
    • There are very few reasons that capri pants should ever come back into fashion.
  • Use “less” when the situation is hypothetical.
    • Unfortunately, I am much less inspired to blog now than I was two years ago.

*If you’re looking for a more expansive but easy-to-digest guide to proper grammar, we’ll point you to the classic -  The Elements of Style, by William Strunk, Jr. and E. B. White.

Comments

1. Avatar of savvynista
    savvynista says:

It’s refreshing to see I’m not the only grammar police out there. Not only do I read grammar mishaps, I see spelling errors constantly like “definately” or “defiantly” instead of the correct spelling “definitely”. Thanks for the post! – M

2. Di says:

Can anyone spot an error in this article? (Hint: It’s repeated twice.) ;)

• Di says:

I just found another. So, two separate errors. I really, really enjoy reading IFB, I think that an article on grammar, especially, should be appropriately copyedited.

• Di says:

Whoops! “*BUT I think…” See, the errors are catching, are contagious! :)

I found a period inside a parenthesis that should have been outside but that’s it. There are some commas that I wouldn’t have used, but I don’t think they are necessarily wrong.

3. Avatar of Becky Bedbug
    Becky Bedbug says:

Yes! As a teacher, I am absolutely obsessed with correct grammar. It pains me to see it used so… creatively by some bloggers. Incorrect apostrophes are my biggest pet peeve. The one that annoys me the most is 50′s, 60′s and so on. It makes me cringe! Defiantly also annoys me. I think its rise is due to Google Chrome autocorrect and the misspelling “definatly”.

A fantastic article, although I’d argue that the envy/jealousy example is more a matter of semantics than of correct grammar.

Just about to agree. The envy/jealousy thing is actually technically correct, but I think there’s a semantic and colloquial acceptance that allows them to be used interchangeably.

4. “how you right…”

victor john penner

5. Avatar of Sarah's Real Life

Yay for grammar! I’m a big grammar nerd, so I loved this article, although I suppose it’s really aimed at people who AREN’T grammar nerds, because they’re the ones who would need to study these rules. :)

I especially love that “lie/lay” was covered and explained well. I think those are two of the most misunderstood verbs in the English language, even among well-educated people. I hear journalists misuse “lay” on the news all the time. I mean come on! It’s your JOB to write and speak correctly.

Sarah’s Real Life

6. Jade says:

Wow that first paragraph was painful to read!! And I didn’t even realise the difference between “fewer” and “less” so thank you :-)

7. This is a great guide!

I’m not exactly a slouch in the grammar department professionally, since I’m a writer by profession. However, my writing style is far more relaxed on my blog. I suppose it’s a bit easier professionally when I’ve got an editor who will catch any mistakes I’ve missed while proofreading, but on the blog, I am my own editor. I need to work on raising my standards in the blogging department so that it better represents my writing abilities. You never know who might come calling, right?

8. Avatar of AnthonyCarmen

This is a great post! I think grammar is super important on a blog. I cringe when I’m trying to read pages that are just full of messy sentences! :)

9. a great stuff in your blog

10. Avatar of alicia // river city chic

this is great. i know i’ve committed a few grammar mistakes here and there, but i personally cannot stand when a blog is full of typos and grammar mistakes. for me, the copy of the blog is just as important as the visual elements!

11. Jessie says:

I recommend the AP Style Book. It’s what all journalism students learn to be versed in and a lot of the lessons you wrote about were in my J101 class back in college. It’s a must-have for any serious writer writing for media and is the standard. Great refresher!

12. Avatar of Onianwah
    Barbara says:

Love, love, love. I love this post. And yes that first paragraph was painful, lol.
    It is always such a surprise to know that when typing a post, some of these seeming easy grammar rules are difficult to remember.
    Barbara