IFB’s Favorite In-Browser Photo Editing Tools
By: Taylor Davies

digital photography

digital photography

It’s sort of a running joke in the IFB headquarters that I’m woefully behind the rest of the team when it comes to photo editing. At one time in my life, years ago, I could use the remedial tools in Photoshop to dodge and burn and adjust my levels, but that knowledge has since disappeared, along with my understanding of algebra and chemistry.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that as a fashion and/or personal style blogger, knowing how to edit, improve and enhance your images is essential. Even the best photographer and the best model (you) can use the aid of a little doctoring to bring out the best in your photographs.

Naturally, it’s only fitting that for my rare contribution to our ‘Tech Tuesday’ posts is sort of the cheater version. Due to my beginner status in photo editing, I’ve turned to more intuitive, less technically demanding tools for improving my blog images. I used to rely only on the minimal editing program in iPhoto, but quickly became a fan of Picnik.com when my 2004 Mac began its slow demise. Picnik is now defunct, so I’ve adopted PicMonkey.com as my go-to editor.

For everyone from the beginners and the advanced bloggers and photographers out there, you can get great results with in-browser photo editors. Here are a few of the best ones, per our experience:

• PicMonkey: From adding Instagram-like filters to deleting blemishes, adding text and frames to more advanced edits like clone stamping, you can do almost anything with this site. Re-size images, create collages, make yourself look 25% thinner. Really – it’s all there, directions included.
  • Pixlr: Pixlr is about as close to Photoshop for free on the Internet as it gets. We wrote a comprehensive review of Pixlr in the fall, which gives a smart assessment of how to make this editor work for you and your blog.
  • Splashup: When you visit Splashup, clicking on “jump right in” opens a new window where you can upload an image and begin editing. You can save your works-in-progress once you sign up, and access them to make improvements anytime. We also like that you can directly share your Splashup image on Flickr, Facebook, or Picasa.
  • FotoFlexer: FotoFlexer requires no login or sign-up to get started, you can immediately upload a photo from your desktop, PhotoBucket, Facebook, Picasa or (eek) MySpace and edit away. You can make classic adjustments as well as decorate, add effects, distort and “beautify” your image.
  • Aviary: Aviary has a whole suite of editing tools, and you can easily create an account by linking up to one of your already established social media accounts. The editing tools can be a tad tricky, and the aesthetics of the window are sort of archaic, but it gets the job done. The downfall here comes in saving the image, which requires uploading it to Aviary’s cloud, but you can then grab the embed code to put the image directly on your blog. Not ideal, to be sure.

Comments

1. Avatar of Amanda
    Amanda says:

I loveeee PicMonkey! saves me when ps don’t work (:

2. ilvana says:

I’m useing a PicMonkey and pictures are perfect!

3. Ashley says:

I adore using PicMonkey to edit my pictures!

4. Jen says:

my go to is ipiccy.com…. it has everything you need for color editing etc

5. Avatar of Kholá
    Kholá says:

PicMonkey, where have you been all my life?! Well, at least all my blogging career. ;-)

6. Aimée says:

Ohhhhh I’m definitely looking into these!!! Thanks!

7. Avatar of Evamaria
    Evamaria says:

I’ve been using PicMonkey as long as piknic stopped working. It’s really easy to work with and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results!

- http://despite-the-style.blogspot.com/

8. Rhea says:

This is great to know but I’ve been using befunky.com to edit my photos but now I will try these other sites. Thanks for sharing.

9. Tanja says:

there’s also a good one called ipiccy.com! I always edit my pictures with it :)

10. Avatar of Jazmine McPhee

I love PicMonkey for my photos.

11. I am so trying these for twitter and brand blog posts…I love photoshop and illustrator but sometimes I need a quick fix! Has anyone ever used Peacock Feathers curve by Julia Trotti???

12. Toi says:

I like using Pixlr Express..but I will definitely check out some of these other tools.

13. Sydne says:

How am I just hearing about PicMonkey?! I just played around with it for an hour and am now obsessed. Thank you so much!

14. Sandra says:

PicMonkey all the way! I love all of the new features they introduce!

15. Katie Stuart says:

I used to use Picnik as well, and then I found ipiccy, which is basically the same. I’ll have to check out pixlr though!
    Are there any sites for doing layouts besides Polyvore?

16. Avatar of THATS GRYT
    THATS GRYT says:

After switching my platform from a PC to Mac, I was kind of worried that I wouldn’t be able to do the things I used to on my PC with photoshop-and it costs quite a bit to just buy one for a Mac. But I discovered pixlr, while it doesn’t have all the features I am used to in photoshop. It does gets the job done when it comes to changing tones and editing colors.

17. Avatar of Sheryl Blasnik

I paid to use CF/X Collage software after Picnik went out…. Did not know about PicMonkey.

They do have many options to create collages.

Sheryl Blasnik
    Fashion Development Group

18. Avatar of TheAsiaMonique

PicMonkey is pretty awesome. When Picnik fazed out, I was editing with Phototoaster from my phone, but I’ve been using http://www.befunky.com which has some of the best vintage and insta filters!

19. Avatar of Christina Noir

This has been really useful, cuz this is the first time I’ve heard of picmonkey and I just checked it out and love it!!.

20. Avatar of Przemek
    Przemek says:

Thanks for tips! I will definitely use this sites :)

21. kitty says:

yeah, picmonkey is a wonderful software , i have used before. but recently i found a free online photo editor software named Fotor, it’s really amazing, you can have try, http://www.fotor.com/, i hope you will like it !

Trackbacks for this post