Bigger, Better, Bolder: Commenting 101
By: Taylor Davies

commenting_ladies

By Taylor Davies

This is the eighth post in a very exciting series we’re bringing to you on IFB in anticipation of the upcoming #IFBcon. Each day in the month of August, we’ll have a different post designed to help your blog become – you guessed it – bigger, better and bolder.

Love the post! Follow me back!  – www.myblogrules.wordpress.com

Cool Shoes! Check out my blog!  – www.imannoying.blogspot.com

Are you cringing yet? We all get a little peeved of comments like these on our blogs, but why do we keep seeing them!? It’s time we came together as a community and made a pact to stop the lame comments!

Though we posted earlier today about Commenting Karma, we thought it would be prudent to revisit some of the basic points of etiquette and effectiveness when it comes to leaving comments on other blogs. Like so many of the topics we cover, from social media to posting formats, pages, widgets and design, there are no hard and fast rules. We can only use our common sense, personal preferences and previous examples of success to guide us.

On that note, lets swirl those three ideas together and try to hash out some guidelines for leaving comments.

• Read the entire post. We can’t tell you how many comments we’ve read (here and beyond) that make it so blatantly clear that the person didn’t bother to digest the whole article. When you jump the gun like this, you can end up making an irrelevant remark that doesn’t make sense and can make you look foolish.
  • Use full sentences. If you can read them, you can write them. (Right?) A full sentence (or more!) shows consideration, thoughtfulness and that you are not a spammy robot.
  • Make a point. It sounds simplistic, but hear us out. When you leave a comment, even if it’s to let a personal style blogger know that you really love a particular outfit – round out your appreciation with a little why. Why do you like this outfit? Why does this post resonate with you? Why do you agree or disagree with the blogger?
  • Length = strength. Not too long and not too short, but how do you know what that looks like? Say everything you want to say, but don’t write a novel. Your comment is more likely to be read and appreciated if it’s in a digestible format. If you have more than a paragraph or two to say, why not write an entire post on your own site? That’s a sure sign you have a passionate opinion on the topic at hand.
  • Be genuine for the win. Whether you agree or disagree, like or dislike the post you’re commenting on, be real.
  • Be constructive, not destructive. Speaking of being genuine, please use your best judgement. If you have a strongly dissenting opinion, either keep it to yourself, or share it in a way that’s thoughtful and respectful. There’s nothing to be gained from being rude, mean, insensitive, patronizing or just incredibly offensive.
  • If you’re going to leave your blog URL, have a reason. Leaving your URL is a touchy subject when it comes to commenting. It can be a huge turn-off, but if done right, like in Jessie’s case with The Wall Street Journal, it’s a great way to attract new readers. Perhaps you have written a similar (or opposing) post on your blog you can link to.
  • Read your comment before sharing it. It can’t hurt. Check for spelling, grammar and type-os.

It should be noted that the comments left on the “Commenting Karma” post are some of the most well-written and thoughtful ones we’ve seen on IFB in a while – go figure!

What’s your commenting style? How do you leave your URL without seeming like you’re fishing for traffic? Leave your best tips in the comments (with thoughtful, full sentences of course)!

Digital fashion

To get your tickets, head to the Eventbrite page and buy either:

Regular One-Day Pass: $125

Regular Two-Day Pass: $185

Corporate/Non-IFB Member Tickets: $600

Comments

1. Excellent points, all of them! I especially like the point about reading the entire article. And your point about explaining why you like a certain outfit or post is great. I admit, I’ve been guilty of just saying I like something but not saying why. I’m going to work on that!

As for leaving the blog URL, don’t most comment forms have a space for it? That’s where I always put mine instead of in the body of the comment itself.

2. Kira says:

This should be mandatory reading for all blog commenters! Please please PLEASE don’t put your blog url as a “signature” in your comment – there’s a box for that, use it!

• JW Ashley says:

I use my general website URL in the comments. But what if I want to link them to a specific article. Is it a bad idea then?

taylordavies says:

Hi JW Ashley, I think that if you want to leave a specific URL in the comment (if the post has a very relevant relationship to the post you’re commenting on) that’s fine! Just say why :) Thanks!

• Call me M says:

I totally agree with Kira! That’s what I always say, but they keep doing it!

• Jenny says:

I know this is an old post, but new to me. I would like to throw out there why someone like me would leave a link in the comment. If I am commenting and the comment form automatically fills in with my blogger information, that links to my communal blog. But if I’m visiting and commenting from my personal blog, which is a blog with its own feel and focus, I leave that link in the comments.

3. MsK says:

Great post! I just recently noticed an increase in the “love it – follow me back” comments. I do not mind commenters leaving their blog URL though. If it is a thoughtful comment, I am very much inclined to check-out their blog, too.
    I am also guilty of not always explaining why I like a post. Usually it is a time issue and if I am browsing in my lunch break, I sometimes feel it is better to leave a short “OMG, awesome dress” instead of no comment at all. No?

4. Avatar of Miranda
    Miranda says:

THANK YOU for this article! You bring up so many points that I think about when reading blog comments. I can’t tell you how many comments I’ve seen on other blogs that are completely irrelevant to the post. For instance – I once read a blog post where someone had pictures of them in a trendy dress style and the post explained why the style DIDN’T work for them – but about half the comments on it said “cute dress!” Seriously, people?

In regards to leaving your URL – there’s generally a box for that which will be linked to your name. No need to leave it as the signature as well. It doesn’t really bother me when people do it, but I personally choose not to.

5. Jenny says:

Great post and I agree with (most) of your points. I completely agree that it’s very frustrating to get the “like your post, follow me then I’ll follow you” comments. I’d rather have 10 followers who actually read my blog than 100 who don’t.

I think being genuine is the number 1 most important point because it is so easy to see through those comments that are just there for self promotion. Also, being constructive is extremely important. You should never leave a comment saying something that you wouldn’t say in person. The anonymity of the Internet makes it way too easy to criticize and be mean.

I personally don’t think there is anything wrong with leaving your URL on every comment, as long as it’s not proceeded by “follow me” or that you don’t leave 3 of the same link (obvious self promotion). I look at it almost like an e-mail signature. It’s an easy way to identify you. I actually like when people leave their link because it makes it really easy for me to visit their blog. Plus, I really appreciate their support for leaving the comment, so the least I could do is provide a site for their link, but again, only if it is a genuine comment.

My advice would be to think about the types of comments that you like receiving the most, and keep that in mind when you’re leaving them for others.

xo Jenny

6. Avatar of emilyjenny
    emilyjenny says:

I agree and disagree with this article. I love the point about actually READING the blog post because writing is one of my favorite things to do and I feel as though no one really reads what I have to say.

I see how it can be annoying leaving your url but I spent YEARS commenting blogs with no url signature and probably got only 3 or 4 people to view my blog from the hundreds I commented on. People are more likely to follow you and check your blog out with a simple url attached…its just easier.

Emily Jenny

7. Andrea says:

“If you’re going to leave your blog URL, have a reason” THANK YOU FOR THAT ONE! As a reader, its the most awkard thing to see when you scroll down the comments and all you see are urls for no reason. I think it hurts more than what it helps.

• Hua Jing Li says:

I totally agree with you Andrea. My blog use be on Blogger, which meant there were alot of people writing ‘I love your shoes’ then leaving their link. Nowadays my blog is on WordPress there is alot less of it, because it takes a little more effort write a comment and fill our your details. Though I get less comments, I’m glad because I know the comments are genuine.

I do also agree that we should be able to constructively write criticisms. This isn’t to say we should be mean, but it would definitely benefit Bloggers on how to improve. Again, it just feels that there is too much fake niceness, bloggers commenting for you to check their blog out, rather than engaging in your actual post.

• N. N. says:

Since I’m very opinionated person who likes to discus about everything & sometimes I have more to say about something so it wouldn’t make sense to leave it as comment., I’ve decided to start blogging However, I do link it to a specific blog so that you could find it if you’re interested about subject. Besides, it is possible to find the writer since the name & picture are linked to their profile so I don’t see the point into leaving URL unless it refers to your post where it can be found your opinion/comment.

8. Avatar of jesuisley
    jesuisley says:

It kind of drives me crazy when people leave their URL in comments. on my blog. I use Disqus for my commenting system for a reason–it links to your profile so it shows your blog, the communities you comment on, your Twitter; it can show you everything. I am not blog famous, so I try to reply to every comment as well as visit the blog of the person that commented. I might not follow it, but checking it out at the least seems to be common courtesy.

9. Avatar of Susann Akers
    Susann Akers says:

I am new to IFB and I find the demands for follow backs a bit disconcerting.

“I follow you – now you follow me and then I go and check that you did follow me!” Bizarre !

I think the challenge with comments (particularly on IFB I think )is that so many blogs seem to be full of very large photos of models, its hard enough to find the commenting box let alone think of something radical and interesting to say. I really try hard to think of something different to say other than ” this is really cool ” or ” that top is totally hot”.

A lot of bloggers just post loads of pictures and very little text. Often there is no explanation as to what I am supposed to be looking or commenting on. To be honest, after looking at blog after blog full of pictures of half starved catwalk models, I get a bit bored, Sorry.

I see no problem with leaving URLs . I dont see anything wrong with positive self promotion.

Just my opinion for any one who wants to leave a comment

Susann xx

Ashley GaGa says:

You took every last word out of my mouth!
      The whole “follow for follow” culture is quite annoying and rather disingenuous.
      And I see models all the time in Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. I want a blog to be unique and give me something I don’t receive from a magazine.

Well said, Susann. And since you have no problem with me signing off with my URL, I’ll do so now.

All the best,
      Ashley GaGa

Corleen says:

Hi Susan
      I agree with you on the ifb community. I’m very new and most of the people who message me are asking me to follow them. There have only been 1 or 2 that seem interested in making a real connection or have something to say.
      Part of the reason I joined ifb and started blogging was to make friends with similar interests. Hope that part is still coming….

When I get messages that are “follow for a follow” I get a little frustrated and I immediately delete them. I do this because, I am interested in making real connections with bloggers and not bloggers who are just “follower collectors”. I think that this post should be a must read for everyone before they start on IFB.

MsK_NY says:

I agree! I feel like I should post this link as answer to all the “follow me then I will follow-you” messages I am receiving. But I guess that would be considered rude ;-)

10. Avatar of moiminnie
    moiminnie says:

I commented earlier on the post about Jessie and her Wall Street Journal story and I kind of feel guilty for just having the need to say something about this post as well! Not only do I read whole posts, I also read other comments as well. Maybe someone already pointed out what I was going to say so there’s no need in cluttering someone’s post with fifty “I agree!” comments without explanation. I have to disagree with Kira here though. When commenting I always leave my blog url as a signature, because it makes it easier for people to reach you if they have something personal to say about your comment. In this fast-paced era, I don’t think anyone wants to click 5 times just to get to someone’s blog link.
    So here goes:

Yours truly,

emilyjenny says:

Completely Agree with you MoiMinnie…I have always commented but noticed that the only way people actually look at your blog is with a url signature. I dont beg for followers but it just makes it more likely that they will atleast look at your blog.

11. JW Ashley says:

Cool photo-art! I do cool art, too. Check out my blog… Just kidding! I am glad you’ve posted this. We comment on blogs that we like to enter the discussion, to show support, etc., but sometimes we do want to draw some attention to ourselves. I agree that to comment solely for the sake of increasing our own blog traffic is a bad move–people can tell what motivates you. And with blogging, I find you get as much as you give. Still, it’s normal, I think to want to draw some attention to yourself. Commenting anonymously or without leaving links (or even without some slow and eventual increase in traffic) can leave bloggers feeling like the invisible, unpopular, and unlikable friend in the group. You know the one: the girl who has to holler to get heard. Or simply mumbles something she knows no one is listening to anyway. Still, I think you have to be careful, and most importantly–as you say–genuine. I do want to add a question for you and others: What is the etiquette for leaving your personal info when you are commenting on emotional posts? In the last few weeks, two of the blogs I read had some deeply emotional content. One was discussing a doctor’s visit for her daughter who has a disease. The other was The other was discussing a recent recurrence of depression. Importantly, these blogs are normally about writing, publishing, etc. These are not diary blogs. It felt so awkward to enter in my website. But I noticed that almost all other commenters added their website–not just their basic information. What you you (all) have done?

12. Avatar of FallForFall
    FallForFall says:

My “commenting rules” are pretty similar to these, but mines are unwritten. Actually reading yours reminds me of how important it is. I highly dislike those comments that are oh-so-obvious scroll down + copy/paste. I hardly ever go to visit blogs of persons who left them.
    This is very useful post and I hope more people will consider applying those rules to their comments.

13. I hate putting my url in my actual coment rather than just having it linked to my name – but often when I try to comment on certain blogs, there’s no name/url option, and I dont want to sign in with an old wordpress account that I never update, check or use. So if its a blog without the name/url function, I understand it. I wish everyone had the name/url function activated – is there a reason people choose not to??

Aside from this, here are a few things I’m personally not a fan of :
    1. A blog’s url left MULTIPLE times in the comment. There’s never any reason for that. It comes off as spammy. I think as a rule you should aim to have your actual comment BIGGER than your url.

2. “Follow me?” “Maybe we could follow eachother?” . I don’t understand this – following blogs is about being interested and wanting the updates, not just a mutual exchange of “follower for follower”. I’d rather have 5 interested followers than 100 that followed because I followed them. Its awkward- people Will check out your site, and they Will follow if the want to – they don’t need to be sheparded* into it.

*I stared at this word for too long, changed it multiple times & am now unsure if sheparded is a word , or if it is, if its the correct spelling. Anyone know?

• Call me M says:

I do this too! I never leave my blog’s URL on my comments expect when there’s not the Name/URL option activated by the blogger. Then I have to sign in with a “fake” wordpress.com ID I’ve created for this exact purpose, and leave my “real” blog’s URL on the comment text.
      I don’t like it, and I would prefer it to be a Name/URL option available, but I’ve noticed that very few clicked the link to my actual blog, when I was commenting with my other ID (which unfortunately doesn’t automatically redirects to my blog).
      The reason most bloggers do this, is because they want to avoid spam/anonymous comments. And the Name/URL option is connected with the Anonymous one, as I’ve heard.
      I totally agree with everything you said on your comment!
      And I’m so sorry for the huge reply!

14. Avatar of savvynista
    savvynista says:

Thanks for reiterating comment etiquette and I do agree on most points except the URL signature. I see I’m not the only one who’s on the fence about this one as I read through the comments. I don’t get annoyed with people leaving their URL in the comment box. To me it’s like leaving your signature in an email and it makes it visibly easier to go to someone’s blog if I want to know more about them. Thanks for the article!
    xo, M

15. Great post! Follow?
    smalltownfabulous.blogspot.com

No! I’m kidding! Seriously though, I’ve been getting a lot of these comments, and like the others have said, they’re very annoying.

Usually what I do is I edit the comment if they don’t follow me. Is that strange? “Cute dress! Follow for follow? http://www.crappyblog.blogspot.com” becomes “Cute dress!”. If they do follow me, I usually thank them for complimenting my dress and say that I’ll check theirs out.

I edit the link out because I just don’t think they should be able to advertise on my blog for free, if that makes any sense?

I leave the link that goes with the name though.

• Ana says:

Oooh, I like the editing bit.
      I’m not approaching it from the advertising perspective, but I get it.
      It’s amazing how some bigger blogs’ comment sections deteriorate into the commenting equivalent of a spam-filled inbox if they do allow comments with links in the body, and how polite, though-out and less crowded those sections are if they don’t, even though the blog is equally popular.
      As far as link following is concerned, it’s easier for me to read 10 good comments and then follow 10 links, than read a 100 “omg, cute FOLLOW LINK” – then I just scroll down and click none.

Hmm I don’t know how I feel about the editing others’ comments thing. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s cool to leave a 2-word comment with a link or one that asks follow-for-follow. However, the blogging world is supposed to be about people opening up their lives to others and letting their readers do the same. I feel like taking out the parts of a comment you don’t like – and keeping what you do like – is censorship and is inappropriate unless you’re taking out something truly offensive.
      It would be better to just delete the comment altogether. OR do what I did once when someone left me a comment that invited me to follow her blog and instructed me to notify her once I followed and then she would follow me back…I just replied to the comment with something like, “I would rather you follow my blog because you want to, but thank you for leaving your link. I will check it out sometime.”

• Tammy Jones says:

I totally agree with your comment, Sarah. I don’t agree with editing another’s comments. You need to set up standards for your blog and then stick to it. The comment is either in or out.

I don’t mind the mindless comments because they are easy to skip over–don’t forget that those people are actually going to your site and for the professional bloggers (of which I am not) I suspect traffic is what you want to attract and increase revenue for your advertising.

I love the comments that are well thought out, and that someone has taken the time to write, but as I new blogger, I’m not so fussy about what type of comment it is at this point. :-)

Just my 2 cents…
        Tammy of “Walking in Pretty Shoes”

16. Shubhi says:

I think one must give a personal touch to every comment, as mentioned. “Good Bag!!!” just doesn’t cut it. As for Leaving Blog URLs, I think it is the easiest way for a blogger to find you IN CASE she wants to; There should be no attached ‘please visit me’s. Your blog is your identity in this virtual world, and a single discreet blog signature is just fine.
    In fact, many bloggers urge you to leave a link in their comment windows!

Shubhi’s Revels!

17. Avatar of Wonderful and Marvelous

Personally I have to say that the comments I get on my blog posts usually put a smile on my face (maybe except for the one-word + url comments, you mentioned…) and so that’s what I aim for when commenting on other blogs. In my opinion most of the time comments are what keep bloggers going and the idea that I can put a smile on their face while they are reading mine makes me feel really good. :)
    xo Andrea
    Wonderful and Marvelous

18. Melanie says:

Love this! I wanna say the depth of a comment is super important to me…but it should be important to everyone– the commenter AND the recipient. I always make sure that I make sure I can place myself into their situation in one way or another. I also like to get comments like that, too. Receiving “Cute shoes!” comments don’t encourage me to check out your blog!

19. silvia says:

I completely agree with this points. However, I have made some experimenting and research of my own regarding this.
    In some communities…like let’s say Chicisimo.com where having people follow you and like your outfits is key, I have personally traced a few accounts that managed to gain more than 300 fans in one week just by leaving comments to each new account of the “Follow me, I’ll follow back” kind.
    I have then tried myself leaving just nice supportive comments to some accounts and “Follow me I’ll follow back” comments to other accounts. Guess which ones reciprocated?
    So my real dilema is, if everyone is annoyed by these comments, why do you think that this strategy is working?

• Ana says:

They work because they are v 1 4 g r a / Nigerian prince / EAT AT BIG CHAIN EAT EAT EAT bilboard equivalent. If they send out a 100, many will think it’s just more ad clutter, but 3 (or 13) will respond.
      I think you just have to decide if you’re a Big Chain spam or a boutique and plan your strategy accordingly – I know where I like to hang out, so I try to create that for others.
      (And you just got yourself a bookmark.)

20. Ana says:

This article couldn’t have come at a better time – I’ve noticed a resurgence of those “so cute spammercomment.blogspot.com” / “too bad spammercomment.blogspot.com” comments lately.

The blog it links to might be a really good one, but it just soured because of comments like those. As you said, a huge, huge turn-off, which is a shame.

(I’ve got to ask: if you want to make a pact/take a stance against this, why do you allow it on this site?)

21. Avatar of Kristian
    Kristian says:

Very well thought out piece and even though some of this seems obvious, its clear that to many its not, if the spam amounts are any indication.

I’ve gone back and forth about whether to leave a URL in a comment. I recently read something though that seems to have clarified my own stance for me. I use blogger for my platform and the comment automatically links my name to my blogger profile; its easy to get to contact info and/or my blog, if anyone wanted to. However, this person pointed out that DISQUS comments do not do this. They link to a history of your commenting instead. Likewise, I don’t have accounts for some other sites/commenting platforms. So it makes sense then to leave a URL unobtrusively at the bottom (no three of the same links or “follow me!” pleas).

I find the full sentences rule to be a good one too, though one I sometimes break. To be fair, for many fashion blogs it IS about the images and outfits etc. Sometimes all you really want to say is that the outfit is cute (and, to be fair, that might have been the purpose of the post was to show a cute outfit.). But, it isn’t that much harder to make a full sentence to say that. I’ll have to get better about that!

22. Alexa says:

I have to agree with moiminnie. I’ve personally never bothered clicking 5 times to find someones blog from a comments section! Additionally, I have issues posting my link when I am on blogger because I am logged into an account that is linked to my youtube, whilst my blog is a purchased domain that is used on wordpress. In other words, it’s less of a hassel to just post my url as part of my signature. I also don’t mind when people do it on my blog either.
    However, I do agree that comments left should have substance. I hate seeing long written posts with thoughtless comments and urls at the bottom of the page.

Alexa
    Stealing-beauty.com

23. Avatar of THATS GRYT
    THATS GRYT says:

This post is a must-read for every blogger, and I hope that those that are new to blogging or is just starting would be able to find this article. To be honest, I used to be one of the commenters that would leave their URL in the comment posts but I no longer do that. I figured if someone is really interested in what I had said, they would just click on my name to be directed to my blog. As for as “follow for follow” or “check out my blog”, I avoid that at all costs.

24. Kate says:

I wholeheartedly agree with all of these points, and will also add the “mediocre comment” to the list of annoying comments! I’ve gotten comments that say things like “Your shoes are okay, I guess.” or “This isn’t my style, but your shirt is pretty nice.” – if you think whatever I’ve done is “okay, you guess” why the heck are you taking the time to leave a comment?

And yes, I purposely don’t visit any blogs that ask me to visit them or follow them. Leave a nice comment that’s more than 3 words long and that doesn’t self promote, and I’ll almost always check you out!

25. Bianca says:

Thank you so much for this blogpost – it’s blogging gold and helps all of us fellow bloggers and readers! I love reading posts that effective helps improve my blog. How should I promote my blog without being annoying about it? For me it’s a tricky task. Please help!

26. I do not include my blog url on comments. I do visit all the blogs that comment on my posts, and I have never had to click more than twice to find their blogs.

I’m not sure how to respond to “Follow for follow” bloggers, especially the ones that say “follow me and send me an email and I will follow you back.”

If you are interested in following my blog, I hope you will follow me instead of waiting until I follow you back.

27. Avatar of Maya
    Maya B says:

I love this post to bits and pieces! To be honest I haven’t gotten many truly genuine comments on my blog yet. I even got some that just read ‘great’ or ‘great post – link’ lately. I’m like oh wow and I felt sad when no-one commented but this is even worse. I know I’m fairly new and I just don’t have lots of traffic yet but I try to leave honest and true comments on other sites, I just wish karma would do the same for me too.

And I have to disagree about not including your url behind your name, ever since I’ve done it I got actual traffic through some comments that I wrote on people’s blogs. Before I got zero traffic through commenting. I know I hate the link including you write nothing about the blogpost itself but when you leave a hearty comment I just want them to know where to find me too in an easy matter. Hope not too many people disagree with me on that matter.

Just wish I’d get more actual readers on my blog soon, it’s quite upsetting half of my commenters are just people looking for an increase in their own numbers.

Maya (archistas.com)

28. Avatar of Ms Duran
    Ms Duran says:

I recently updated my IFB profile to match my blog, and was surprised at the amount of “Welcome” messages I was receiving. Some of them even seemed well-meaning; “Welcome to IFB, you’ll meet great people and find great resources” but quickly deteriorate into a list of EVERY place a blogger exists on the internet. I’ve received duplicate messages from the same user, and even messages addressed to different users; the result of a failed copy/paste!

No matter how you cut it, the copy/paste strategy is mostly a waste of time, many of those bloggers lose steam and fade out quite quickly because they are too busy playing the numbers game to produce engaging content. My strategy is to read a few posts before deciding to jump in, and reviewing the previous comments to avoid redundancy (ironically, as many of the comments above mentioned). The key is to filter out those ingenuous folk and interact with those who are actually interested in what you have to say. On the topic of censorship, it’s really up to the blogger what they allow on their page, but if a message offers no substance, I agree with @spharrell that it’s better to delete them entirely.

As far as link signatures, I opt to leave a formatted URL (instead of a plain URL) at the end of my comment if a field for a link is not provided. It’s easy to access, and otherwise unobtrusive.

29. Resa says:

This post is so necessary and a must read for all bloggers especially newbies. So many key points have been highlighted, as someone quite new to the whole blogging scene, i assumed that leaving your blog address in the comments was a standard because almost every blog i read had it. It’s great to have a forumn like this where ideas & tips can be shared.

30. Avatar of Khadijat Yussuff

I admit that when I started blogging about two months ago, I had pretty grandiose plans of being a famous fashion icon and travelling the world because everyone would want my opinion on this, that, and the other in the fashion industry. And I’ve quickly come back down to earth. Because of the whole follow-for-follow culture, I’ve realized that more followers doesn’t necessarily mean better content. In fact, I remember receiving one message from a fellow blogger on IFB who never asked me to follow her. She simply said that she had checked out my blog, and she appreciated the effort I put into the writing. And ever since then, I realized that I don’t have to follow someone’s blog because they ask me to. Sometimes, I simply am not intrigued by their content for whatever reason. I have no need to clog my dashboard with posts that do not interest me. And I’d appreciate people to do the same for me. I do leave my url at the end of comments, because it simply makes it more accessible. Honestly, how many people will want to take the time to go through 10 or 15 comments and click on everyone’s profile and look for everyone’s blog? I like to ask for feedback on my blog, because then people don’t have to like it. They can hate it (with good reason) and tell me why. I think that sort of critique is a lot more useful to me as a burgeoning blogger than a lot of follows (even if 1000 followers does mean free clothes from some companies).

♥, K

31. Avatar of CynthiaCM
    Cynthia says:

I rarely do this. More frequently, I’d leave a link to a specific post that is related to the original poster’s article. For example, if someone went to a store’s seasonal preview, I’d leave my post about that same preview. And comments like “great outfit” can be annoying too – like literature and social studies teachers said in middle school – EXPAND!!!

Cynthia

p.s. since the OP is okay with links, here are my sites:

32. Avatar of TheAsiaMonique

I can agree with Kira to an extent. With a few blog platforms, some do not always have the connecting url box that allows someone to click on the given AVI and BAM you’re on their page, or even more so, you may not belong to their same network. I like the url as a signature when one has given a decent comment. I dislike it when you are simply asking me to check out your page without even giving what was written in the post some thought.

33. Ally says:

I have to say that if you have a blogger account and are posting on a blog, there is no need to leave your blog URL. I used to do it right when my blog got started because I wanted to get my name out there. Now, I don’t do it at all because I hate it when people do it on my blog. I will check out the blog only if he or she leaves a comment that has some point to it – NOT because they want a follow for follow or because they leave their link.

Another thing is criticism. You made a point to not be mean to other people. Constructive criticism is great, but I think as a whole fashion bloggers do not respond well to ANY crits because we are used to “nice shoes!” or “adorable outfit”. I personally want to grow my blog and have it be as great as possible. I want people to tell me “oh, your outfit would look better without the belt (I know it’s a personal style, but any feedback is great feedback)” or “you’re using the wrong form of “their”, this is how you use it – “, but I don’t think that will ever happen because we are all so timid or we are just trying to advertise our blogs. Of course no one wants to hear “Oh gosh, your face oh why oh why” but no one really seems to want to hear “you banner would look better with a different font” either EVEN when the OP is asking for help. It’s a bummer, and I feel if the community was more open with one another, we would thrive and not be so fake.

Sorry if anyone found this offensive!

34. Avatar of TrendHungry
    TrendHungry says:

I totally agree about the leaving your link being touchy and I think it struck a nerve on my Commenting Karma piece. Not all blog sites allow you a spot to put your link, which is when I leave my link. Leaving a comment just saying to check out your blog isn’t cool and typically will be ignored, but I leave my link more as a way for someone to get in touch with me, like signing an email or giving someone your biz card once you meet. I tend to put my url in the comment when I leave a comment on Blogger, since it often will link to my gmail account and an old blog I never use. Other sites have it set up where your Twitter is linked. My rule for myself is to leave my link so someone can get to me (whether it means see my work, send me an email, or simply to see who I am and who is behind the comment). That being said, if my comment already links back to my site I try not to repeat it. Hope that makes some sense. Great piece, Taylor! Commenting is so important and by doing so we aid each other’s growth and we’re all on team blog :)

35. Avatar of Irene
    Irene says:

THANK YOU TAYLOR!

This post is so right on. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to go through every email (99% of them) from fellow IFB members and read the same lame “cool blog. follow me” BS. First, I know damn well they probably didn’t even take a look at my blog, ad second it is so insincere to leave such a pathetic comment.

On my actual blog and Instagram account, when I receive ‘Likes’ I go to the person page, checkout what they have to offer and if I see something I genuinely like I let them know by commenting or returning the like.

Point being, “Don’t be THAT girl/ guy!”

36. I sincerely love this topic. I can tell when a comment is well thought out and genuine. I really can’t stand when people leave a short comment, “love it” followed with links to every social media site in the name…smh!

• Avatar of
      Tali says:

of course the tag got messed up. stupid me)) i was talking about (a href) tag of course, and if you’re interested – google the usage!

37. Rebecca says:

,,,I dislike disingenuous comments I don’t care to read them, therefore, I don’t leave them. I’m “turned off” by comments that suggest “if you follow me, I’ll follow you”. I don’t have a lot of traffic to my blog and I’m okay with it. I prefer to have a few sincere and interested readers than the masses. I wish to attract people to my blog that enjoy reading it, and that they find my subjects and or blog posts interesting and helpful to them. I also don’t enticed readers with give-aways. I’ve noticed in the 3 years that I’ve been reading blogs, that traffic escalates on blogs when a “give-away” is involved and wanes the very next day. I compare this to the likes of attending a swanky party because you know the host/hostess gives fabulous “parting gifts”,,,

38. Ellie Frot says:

It seems that a lot of people are divided as to weather we should be leaving a URL in our signture. I personally do it, but never say “check out my blog” or “follow me”, it’s just so the person can get in touch.
    Could we see a poll? :) I’d love to know what the community thinks!

Trackbacks for this post

1. 90 Percent of Your Readers Don't Engage: Understanding The Silent Majority | IFB