IFB Poll: Does Social Media Influence You To Buy?

Last week, the results of a study were released, showing that less than 1% of online purchases were influenced by social media. (That’s for both new and repeat shoppers.) Shockingly low, right? We thought so. It might be safe to assume that amongst fashion media and bloggers, that percentage could be higher, but we thought we’d pose the question to you to get a better idea.

We want to know if you – blogger or not – make purchases spurred by social media plugs like tweets, Instagrams, Pinterest posts or Facebook statuses. Do these tips inspire you to shop? How influential is social media in your decision-making?

Weigh in with our poll below, and let us know your thoughts in the comments!

[poll id=”18″]

About The Author

Profile photo of taylordavies

1. Profile photo of Filipa
    Filipa

Every time I see something nice on somebody’s Facebook page or Twitter and similar it makes me wanna have it, so I immediately follow the link. But most of these are quite expensive and I can’t afford them. I’ve actually never bought anything online but my prom dress ( which I found myself ), but I like I said, I often follow the links that are spurred by social media plugs. And I must say, if those things were much cheaper I’d definitely buy them.

Filipa from http://ohmyfilipa.blogspot.com
    xx

2. Profile photo of Julia
    Julia

Not being able to afford things, really does stop you from buying. But I must admit that I have been influenced to DIY some of the things I’ve seen.

On the other hand though, social media helped me to find things I really liked. I later searched for similar, cheaper options, and was able to create a define style and make smarter purchases.

3. Meli

I bought a pair of earrings that I saw on Pinterest from a link that someone I follow posted. Luckily they were still available so I ended up buying them.

4. Marguerite/Chicspace

I’ve been influenced by many a blogger on purchases, and some of those have come from instagram posts (I tend to follow the same bloggers on both IG and their blogs, though, so the line is blurry). Some brands are much better at managing their Facebook posts (Free People, for example) than others. Unless I find a sale/code advertised, twitter has the least influence.

5. Profile photo of Courtney
    Courtney

Absolutely! I am surprised that the number is only 1% I would definitely expect it to be in the 40%-50% range. Almost every time I look at a new style blogger or fashion channel I get inspired and most likely end up buying an item or two if I know I can style that piece in many different ways and with items I already have. However, if the item is not in my price range I simply find something I have in my closet that is similar and I make it my own. If I see a polka dot skirt I like but I know I have a dress similar then I just put a top over it and belt it making it an instant skirt. If I see a trendy, studded jacket I’ll just buy some cheap studs and DIY one that I already have or get one from a thrift store. I’m definitely not the type of person to just buy something because it’s trendy or “in” at the moment, I have to really like it and see it’s longevity in my closet. I actually think this influence can be a good thing as I have found many great fashion steals from random blog/YouTube searches at the right time. I would say that out of all of the social media sites listed above Instagram is definitely the most influential and twitter is the least, at least for me it is. At the end of the day, you just have to make the pieces work for you and work with what you have because style is everything. YOU wear the clothes, not the other way around. There are tons of people that have closets full of designer clothes that have to hire stylists to create the actual outfits. In the wise words of Yves Saint Laurent: “Fashions fade, style is eternal”

lachiccouturefashion.com

6. Michelle Rogers

Definitely influenced by social media and reviews on blogs. I pay more attention to honest opinions than ads. I enjoy writing reviews, too, and try to offer helpful information and details that you wouldn’t get in an ad. The blogging community is the best! :)

7. Sarah

Everyone who is paying attention to social media is influenced by it. The endorsement of friends/family/people you admire plays a a large roll in the decision making process for most people. I think social media can be a very powerful tool, and it will be interesting how much it affects consumerism in the future. I think pinterest and facebook are currently the most powerful social media influencers. I know I personally chose my entire wedding day look from images on pinterest.

8. FashionableTeacher

I think that it’s more inspirational than anything. I just can’t justify spending $435 on a skirt or $89 on a glorified sweatshirt. Maybe if the prices were a little more reasonable, there would be an increase.

9. Profile photo of RomeoStyle
    RomeoStyle

Just sharing a link to an item doesn’t work. Styling it, and sharing styling suggestions can help give the viewer a better idea as to how it will look and with what pieces they already own. At the same time, give options of your find (ex: lace pencil skirt $159 or $69) not everyone is willing to spend what you’re spending on fashion, especially if it’s a trendy piece.
    Kalyca