How To Write A Seductive Headline: 5 Tips Worth Trying
By: Chelsea Burcz

How To Write A Seductive Headline: 5 Tips Worth Trying

content writing blogging

The headline is the first impression you make on a reader.

And in a digitally-savvy day and age where we are constantly flooded with information via social media, email, along with a bevvy of websites and blogs, it’s no wonder that only a small percentage of your readership (it’s estimated 20%) will actually click on a post after reading its headline. That means a lot of your traffic and readership actually lies in your post titles — maybe more than you ever realized.

So, how do you get readers to click on your article?

Here’s 5 ways to get results (clicks) from your headlines:

1. Does it offer a reward for reading?

What is the reader going to gain from reading this post? Present the desired result within the title, or in other words, make them a promise. Never allow your audience to question why they are bothering to read, it should be stated in the title and followed through within the opening paragraph. For example, “Find Out Why 4 Reasons Why Your Traffic Has Tanked Here” is making a promise to the reader, urging them to click away!

2. Does it trigger a strong emotion?

Show confidence in your title, make a statement — but even more so, tap into the reader’s emotions. What is it that your readers care about in your post? What emotion does it tap into? Narrowing in on specific emotions that affect your audience will entice them to click. For example, “Frustrated With Follow-Backs? We’re Here To Help” is  usually better than just simply, “Hate It When Other Bloggers Ask For A Follow Back?” Frustration is tapping in to a more specific emotion.

3. Does it show off something useful to the reader in a specific way?

General statements won’t get anyone to click on your post; go ahead and get super specific with your assertions. Be bold, zealous, and affirmative when presenting what you have to offer. Guarantee something in your headline, and follow through with your post. Your confidence and risk will draw in an audience. For example, “Our Official Guide To Guarantee Higher SEO Traffic” is better than “Our Ways To Boost SEO Traffic.”

4. Does it cause a sense of urgency?

Command something of your readers; show them you have something important to say by instilling a sense of urgency in your title. For example, “What You’re Doing Wrong: 5 Mistakes Everyone Makes With Headlines” is often a better title than simply “Things That Hurt Your Headlines.”

5. Does it have an element of intrigue?

On the other hand, sometimes a more vague approach can also lure in readers, as long as it’s still intriguing to your audience. One such way could be titling a post “Who’s The Boss? Well, You Are” rather than “Talking Inspiration For The Every-Blogger.”

What are some ways you think up post titles?

[Image credit: Shutterstock]

Comments

1. I usually go with my mood and think of a song that relates to how I feel. Sometimes it’s simply the name of a place where I am at.

2. Avatar of Stephanie
    Stephanie says:

My post names usually have to do with what I’m wearing or what’s going on in my life that I must quickly rave and rant to my readers about (more often the former than the latter, thank goodness!)

-Stephanie from Chocolate Laced

3. Toni says:

If I’m doing a hair post on my blog, I always try to use numbers out the current date. I try to think of what people will be typing into a search thatwwill lead them to my blog. When it comes to outfit posts though, I usually just give an adjective to my look. “Simple Stripes” or “Floral Frenzy”. It is difficult to come up with post titles that will garner major clicks!

4. Avatar of The Glamorous Housewife

The problem with a catchy title is it doesn’t help your SEO at all. Google prefers titles that are very specific which is why I try to say exactly what my blog post is about. It really helps with SEO.

Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

5. Avatar of Jenny
    Jenny Wong says:

Catchy titles and tag-lines are magazine editors best trick! So, learn from the pro, do your homework – write down whatever that catches your eye and you’ll find them useful one day. I have a notebook filled with titles and sentences I collected from magazines and newspaper. It helps when writing my post.

6. Avatar of themerchantproject

I am just learning this lesson! I used to write obscure and what I thought were witty headlines but now I realize I was the probably the only one who got them. Anyways, great advice I am trying to be better about this.

7. Avatar of Anastasia
    Anastasia says:

helpful article….
    GOOGLE – I HATE YOU !!!!
    Anastasia – Fashion designer

8. Avatar of Maya
    Maya B says:

Very true! I always watch my analytics and most of the ‘searches’ through google always lead to blog titles. Especially for some of my architecture articles I see that when people look up an exhibition I talk about or a building, that it helps that my titles are clear and descriptive (well mostly they’re just the name of the exhibition or building). My outfit posts don’t have as clear titles as I use something descriptive about my look, but I guess most of my readers come to my blog for the outfit posts and it’s nice to get more ‘one-timers’ to my blog for my other articles through the clear titles :)
    Maya from Archistas

9. FashionBite says:

This is a brilliant article-really useful! Great work as always IFB- so inspiring! x

10. Avatar of A Bird's Leap

I find headlines using alliteration catchy :)

Trackbacks for this post