Social Media Tips: Dispelling the Top 5 Social Media Superstitions
By: Amanda Boyce

social media marketing

social media marketing

There’s a lot of myths and superstitions floating out there in the world about social media. In a field that is supposed to be about transparency and authenticity, it sometimes feels like it’s all smoke and mirrors.

Everyone talks a big game, stating that they have grown their numbers to be THIS BIG but when you actually do your research, you realize that they lied. Or a brand claims to have revolutionized the social media space and guess what? They aren’t doing it any better than you. You hear these big false claims all the time and more often than know, you don’t even know it. Some are so obviously false that you can easily point them out of lineup and say  “Yes, that one is so not true” Others are harder to pinpoint, and those are the ones that are actually more damaging because they look and sound real, but when you dig a little deeper, you end up with nothing.

To be a smarter consumer and a more well-rounded blogger, it’s pretty important to know all the facts and debunk certain myths that can lead you astray. Understanding that these three social media tactics are actually superstitions in disguise will help you focus more on what really works, what can be beneficial for you and prevent you from putting your hopes into a something that just won’t work.

Save a little time and effort and get to know these five social media superstitions:

1. You can just be “there” and not think.

This might be the biggest myth I’ve heard and frankly, it’s one of the most harmful things I’ve heard too. Despite what people may say, social media requires thought, strategies and content development. You wouldn’t just throw your business card into an epic-sized fishbowl and hope that someone finds it. So why would you do the same with your social media? Yes, being active on social media is important but to be considered an expert or a reader-resource, I highly suggest taking time to figure out your social media content and develop your content to fit your brand/blog.

2. Your readers care about you and your life.

This one sounds harsh, I know. But honestly your readers do not care about your life, your daily activities. You know what they care about? Themselves. I know, it sounds selfish but its true. So the less you think about yourself and the more you think about your follower/fan, the better your relationship will be with your fans and readers. Or balance out your content so its 60% for your followers, 40% personal. Think of it like a party – you wouldn’t just show up and start telling everybody your life story and expect them all to care. Right?

3. You don’t need to know about marketing to do social media right.

Despite what some may think, social media hasn’t revolutionized the marketing world. Why? Because social media is another form of customer service, public relations, and online marketing all rolled into one big monster. In fact, the more you look at social media as a branch of marketing, the better off you will be. Marketing is all about understanding your consumer, knowing what they want before they even know what they want, and that is exactly what social media should be as well. Anticipating what your followers/fans want, solving their problems, and creating long-lasting relationships with them. These are some of the marketing tactics you should brush up and apply to your blog for true social media success.

4. Social media results in sales.

Not a day goes by when another brand announces that their social media program has boosted their sales by 100% and each time, I scour the article to see if there are true facts or research behind their claims. And guess what? They don’t have any proof that what they are doing atually works. You know why? Because right now, there  just isn’t enough research that there is a real return-on-investment on social media. You can’t measure the impact of exposure, engagement, virality in dollar signs. Many can assume that being more active with their followers and building a presence helps sales, and I agree. However, there just isn’t enough research done to prove that social media engagement results in sales.

5. Social media is an extension of your blog.

The content you share on your blog should influence what you are sharing on social media, but it shouldn’t be a direct copy of what your blogging about. You don’t want to bore your readers or sound repetitive. Instead, tailor your content for each social media channel and understand that each social media platform has a different personality, a different reader. Your content should reflect those differences. Think of it like this: your blog is just an article while your social media is the actual magazine. Your posts fit into your brand, not vice versa.

social media tips

Now that I’ve debunked a few social media superstitions, here’s one truth about social media: it takes time. There are no overnight successes. But that doesn’t mean your hard work won’t pay off. This social media industry is about trial and error. You have to know what doesn’t work in order to see what does work.

What other superstitions have you heard about social media? Are there big myths floating out there that need to be debunked? If you have any questions about social media or have thoughts on this article, share in the comments.

Comments

1. Donna says:

Great post! I love #2 because it’s real. Most people are more interested in themselves than you when it comes down to it (unless you’re a celebrity). I’ve noticed that almost all of the truly personal posts have shrunk on Face Book. It’s now pretty much about brands marketing, and my personal friends just share photos or quotes that someone else has posted. On my business page, I post about things that I’ve written a blog post about, but after reading this I wonder if I should change that.
    I think you’re spot on that each social media outlet has a different slant and audience, so what you post should be different. And it makes me feel good to think that everyone is just trying different things to see what their audience likes the best.
    Donna

2. Avatar of Hey Mishka
    Hey Mishka says:

Some very good points here!

I especially think it’s important for people to digest the concept that no one cares about you until you give them a reason to! That’s not a personal thing, just the truth. Once you get over that, you can move on to creating content from a place of honesty and excitement again.

I’d recommend the book “Primal Branding” to anyone who wants to start getting a deeper understanding of marketing psychology and the various components of successful brands who have amassed believers.

3. Avatar of Karina
    Karina says:

“your blog is just an article while your social media is the actual magazine. Your posts fit into your brand, not vice versa.” Bam! This opened my eyes and gave me a totally different perspective. Thank you.
    And then the second is very true. Everyone cares about themselves, however, I just also wanted to emphasize that some things that are about “bloggers themselves” are a part of their brand that the readers are interested in – like behind the scenes shots or parts of their work. I hope this makes sense :)

4. Great article and I agree with 4/5 of it. I take a little bit of issue with number 2. If your life is FABULOUS then readers want to hear about it. I love Mrs. Lilien because she lives a dream life and I love to hear about it. Same with ABM- I read those gals because I am interested in their lives. On the other hand I have stopped following certain blogs because they blogged about their life and frankly, it was boring. So if your life is dull, keep it to yourself. But if you are living the life of Riley, blog away sister!

Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

MonicaP says:

I guess reading about someones fabulous life is viewer dependent. I stopped following a blog because I just got bored with this gals fabulous life. I like regular o’l people that are just like me. And I hope that bloggers are interested in engaging me as a reader vs. a subscriber to raise their sub numbers.

Monica

5. Avatar of Rita
    Rita says:

I agree. As readers we do care about you and your life to the extent that you and your life relates to us and our lives. And that is how caring about ourselves might lead us to read other people’s blogs and be interested in their lives. The thing is, there will always be things that some of your followers will like and some they may not relate to as much. If you have a consistent voice, you’ll attract some type of readers. But it’s simply impossible to please Greeks and Trojans!

The first one is just silly. Who would ever think that?

6. Oceana says:

I enjoy these quick reads on IFB. They usually validate something I was thinking or doing and so gives me more reality and motivation to keep going in a direction. Moreover, they almost always inspire deeper reflection. It seems that there are not a few of us that got hung up on tip #2. I agree with most everything that was said in the article both Rita and the Glamorous Housewife.

For Twitter, I’m all about what’s happening now in terms of news and great ideas to pass along and that includes to a small degree, my own life and thoughts as it relates to my niche, ecofashion. For facebook, I’m still figuring that one out. I seem to get the most virality with personal style pics which is about 30% of the content. The other 70% are articles I’ve written and shares from other media and pages.

I think the facebook sphere is going through an evolution at the moment. It used to be a very personal space, then it was a business billboard space. I think people are becoming saturated with that now and are looking for something with more of a story.

7. What a wonderfully penned article! I agree with a great deal of it, but as an Etsy shop owner, I know first hand that it is true that social media does lead to sales for many, many companies. I’ve had a number of customers tell me after they made a purchase that they found me through Twitter and saw a link or a photo that I posted. It certainly has not improved my sales 100% (don’t I wish!) but it definitely does work. For me anyway. :)

8. I would like to add that that smiley emoticon looks very smug, which is not at all how I intended that last sentence to come across. (fyi)

9. Teressa says:

This is a good article and I agree with almost all things you’ve pointed out but I want to mention that there is tracking for ROI and when you are running social media campaigns for businesses they do want to see results. While brand awareness and relationships are really important to me, so is the bottom line. Tracking the inbound links to your sales portals and using technology for sales can be done.

10. Sally S says:

Some very interesting points. Thanks for sharing.
    Its very true; trial trial and more trials is what i think it’s all about.
    I recently started a facebook page to promote my business and getting “likers” to interact with me on posts can be frustrating at times. It takes a second of their time to click on the “like” button, or leave ANY kind of comment! Why dont they do that? I think their should be an “anonymous” feedback button where people can share their thoughts and feedback just incase they don’t want their identity to be exposed.

11. Jasper Sands says:

I am on my way to starting a new blog and this information really helps, thanks so much I love number 3 and 5. Please check out my blog on WordPress, I would love to know what you all think http://allthingsspectacular.wordpress.com.

12. Socorro says:

Your fifth piece of advice is right on the dot. Sometimes I feel weird not posting something to my blog, especially when it does so well and there’s a huge emphasis on cross posting, but the format is just too different and it wouldn’t translate over without modifying the content.