How Do You Explain To Someone That You Blog? Our Experience Through Gif Reactions
By: Chelsea Burcz

Ryan Gosling

Have you ever had an experience with someone who just doesn’t “get” blogging? If you’ve been professionally blogging for some time, it’s likely you have.

So, how do you explain to someone you blog for a living? Here’s how the conversation usually goes down…

1. Someone engages in conversation at party, and inherently asks, “What do you do?”:

2. I’m all like, “I’m an independent fashion blogger.”:

3. And they’re all like, “That’s a job?”:

4. And I’m all like, “Mmmm hmmm”:

5. Astonished, the follow up question is usually, “You can make money from that!?”:

6. And I’m all like, “Do I look like I mess around?”:

7. Then they’re all like:

8. And then I’m all like:

9. Then it’s all like:

10. But then I’m just like:

[Image credit: WhatShouldWeCallMe]

Comments

1. Diana says:

haha! that’s so funny and so true.

2. Profile photo of TerranceJ
    TerranceJ says:

This brought me into tears from laughter. Dammit, this is hilarious – this same situation happened to me a few days ago. I walked into Façonnable and talked with a supervisor, who was clueless as to what blogging was, even after an explanation. Luckily, I carry in a portfolio fully printed web pages of my best posts, which seemed to get him to understand that I was at least doing a legitimate endeavor. Number 9 was his face for the entire time, but more power to us :D

3. Profile photo of clairelynette

lmao, I needed that. Most of the people in my town are just getting around to the idea of the internet… Calling myself a blogger to them is like saying I’m a unicorn and then I get major side-eye or “Oh that’s just Claire! Bless her heart”

4. Profile photo of
    Molen says:

i love it!! i need one!!

5. Profile photo of ALLTHEQUEENSMEN

True, true, too true!! haha…Nice job. Creative way of saying a story!

EVE

6. Irene says:

HILARIOUS!!!

7. Profile photo of Hey Mishka
    Hey Mishka says:

This is funny, but it doesn’t lend itself to the level of editorial cred I’ve come to expect from IFB… seems like something you’d tweet a link to, but not worth the digital real estate of this site. Just my 2 cents !

8. Profile photo of Rachel
    Rachel says:

Hahah! I don’t make a living from mine, but I still get crazy looks when I say I’m a blogger
    Glitzy Blues

9. Profile photo of drops of elixir

This made me laugh, sooo true! What great way to start my morning!

I’m an aspiring photojourno, but i mainly write on my blog and do the odd bit of freelance photography when I can find the right projects that will have me lol.
    It is hard to explain to people, and i hate doing it. Especially at partys or to my grandparents. Everyone expects you to either be at Uni still or working the 9 till 5. Yawn!
    Its much harder finding work all the time and exhausting even at times. People like to assume its easy. Some bloggers or freelancers dont get enough credit! Having said that you need initial talent in the first place to show off on your blog.

10. Profile photo of Janice Lunes
    Janice Lunes says:

hahah omg this was absolutely hilarious !!

Jen
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

11. Profile photo of
    Marta says:

nice!!! :D

12. Marie L. says:

And that just made my day! Really! AHAH!

13. Profile photo of Kholá
    Kholá says:

Very funny and yes very true.

14. Profile photo of Pinksole
    Pinksole says:

that is so funny, classic!
    xo
    Rachelle

15. Profile photo of Just Me aghan

Score! Another reason to post a picture of Ryan Gosling on my page. ;)
    Thanks y’all!

16. Profile photo of Bree
    Bree says:

hahaha SO true and so hilarious. I don’t blog for a living but I do get questions about my blog. Some of the people I know think blogs are just “stupid” and they especially think that fashion blogs are for “snobs” which is too bad because I definitely would say the fashion bloggers I’ve met are any but that. I feel like most bloggers are people who like to connect to others and I try to explain that. I often get looked at as a nut though.

17. Jill says:

This made my day. Had this at the dentist office the other day… :/ Why does “what do you do?” even make for good small talk!??!

18. Profile photo of Filipa
    Filipa says:

This is really hilarious. I read it a few times, it made me laugh so much.
    xx
    Filipa from http://www.ohmyfilipa.blogspot.com

19. Profile photo of the little dandy

hahahahaha! I’m saving this page to keep it forever and ever.

20. Profile photo of Cocolina fashion

hehehehe, this is amazing

21. Profile photo of cynthia emili

HAHAHA! I STILL AM LAUGHING…
    VERY FUNNY AND TRUE.

22. Profile photo of Jess Harley
    Jess Harley says:

LMAO…classic

nice one.

Brightened up my day.

23. It is very funny and…. TRUE!!!!!
    Very good job ;)

24. nionvox says:

The most rude reaction I got is people assuming i make nothing of it and it’s not work. I spend more time working on my content than you do at your day job, biatch!

25. da_lindchen says: