The Lena Dunham Guide To Fearless Blogging
By: Taylor Davies

LenaDunham

If there’s one thing you can say about Lena Dunham, it’s that she’s brave. Girlfriend has bared almost everything on her HBO show Girls, and is frequently outspoken about her personal life, especially on social media, and most recently, in a YouTube video, “Your First Time,” where she quips about how your first time voting should be with “Someone who really cares about and understands women.”

Whether or not you agree with her politics and her brazen nudity, you’ve got to hand it to her for sticking to her guns. In the world of female celebrities – her bold approach to self-expression both personally and professionally is something we can all take a little inspiration from.
Don’t worry though, you don’t have to get naked to blog fearlessly (we don’t really recommend that, actually).
1. Be a champion of self-expression.
Whether it’s showing your thighs with pride (every day until you die), or just talking about your personal style, don’t be afraid to do things your way. We have guidelines and suggestions for how to blog – but there are no rules. How you express yourself is your greatest gift! Speak honestly, speak truthfully and encourage the same from your readers. Ask for their feedback, respond to their comments! An open dialog that can inspire others.
2. Have a strong point of view.
Most of the time, when Lena speaks out about her experiences, it’s almost always through the lens of women’s rights, women’s liberation and just general pride about being a woman and all that comes with it. Before she speaks out, she also does her research, too. A strong point of view is strongest, when it has a great foundation. Your strong point of view could be your niche, whether it’s a love for preppy style or dressing on a budget. Establishing your viewpoint will win you loyal fans who feel the same way.
3. If you’re going to be political, be educated.
Politics are always a subject that can get people’s blood boiling, and definitely be divisive. If you want to use your blog or your social media to discuss political issues, make sure you do your research. With the U.S. presidential election looming, tensions are high and opinions are strong. (Here are our best tips for blogging about hot-button issues.)
4. Have fun and be playful.
Expressing yourself and taking a stand doesn’t have to be all serious. For Lena Dunham, she knows that being a woman is fun. Talking frankly about women’s issues, sex, relationships and your body can be silly. That’s not to say you should take serious issues lightly, but you can spark great conversations with a light-hearted approach.
5. Don’t listen to the haters.
Inevitably, if you have a strong opinion and you aren’t afraid to share it, someone is going to disagree with you. So what? Stick to your guns, believe in yourself and when you have to, just tune out the nay-sayers. And if you’re wrong sometime? Admit it, apologize and move on. Lena has racked up her fair share of haters lately, especially after her YouTube video encouraging women to vote. It’s a cause she believe in, and she believes in her approach to it, and has stood by it, despite the backlash.

Comments

1. Avatar of Caroline
    Caroline says:

I love this, one thing i’ve noticed thats common to all good bloggers is that they take a stand, they’re unique, and have a specific point of view. They don’t try to hard to please everyone/be boring or bland.

2. Avatar of Bree
    Bree says:

I totally agree with her! Especially about having fun with your blog and not getting tied up in the “rules” and guidelines, sure they are good to know but if you’re not feelin’ them then you shouldn’t be bound by them!

3. Avatar of Sarah Loves
    Sarah Loves says:

I think its always important to be cautious when it comes to this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but sometimes if their opinion is too strong it can come across really badly. One too many times I’ve unfollowed someone on twitter because they’ve been too aggressive, rude to other bloggers or have mentioned opinions which aren’t blogger friendly (like saying everything looks better skinny etc).

Sarah x
    sarahloves.co.uk

4. Avatar of Demi at Astronaumica.com

This article was very helpful. I agree that blogging should also be fun! Being too aggressive only pushes people aways. If it is your passion, it will come naturally!

Demi

5. MISSLIKEY says:

I adore this. Lena is absolutely gorgeous, brave and smart young woman.
    I knew I will love her since the day I saw first episode of Girls.

6. Avatar of Monica
    Monica says:

Fabulous article. Great advice to inspire confidence. Occasionally I feel like I need to remind myself that it is _my_ blog and I need to be fearless about what I want to write, instead of just going with the flow.

Thanks for posting.

7. Avatar of Rachel
    Rachel says:

I’m slowly starting to try more of these. I didn’t want to come off as too abrasive at first, but now that I’ve somewhat established myself I feel much more comfort in writing and saying what I truly think.

Xo, Rachel
    Glitzy Blues

8. Always best to be yourself! Uniqueness is what gets you noticed :)

9. Avatar of Elena
    Elena says:

Beautiful tips from an amazing woman! I agree that it’s very important to be true to your style and express yourself in interesting way!
    Kisses
    Elena

10. Avatar of
    Molen says:

Totally agree “don’t listen to the haters”and just blog with the heart :)

11. Avatar of Shevon Miller

Lol I actually found this quite entreating! But there is a lot of truth to this. Thanks for the awesome tips!

12. Avatar of moiminnie
    moiminnie says:

Great tips! I’d like to think I’m doing it on my blog as well : )
    I always try to make things more me, always adding a little twist. And you’re right about the opinions: in order to fully stand behind your words, you have to do your research and be prepared to answer a lot of questions to the curious and sarcastic.
    xx

13. Avatar of Lauren - Slowburn Fastburn

Such amazing advice from such a fearless person.

x lauren

14. Elizabeth says:

Great tips… I will use them

15. Thanks for these tips! Just the kick/inspiration I was looking for. :) xo

stephandrea.wordpress.com

16. I flippin’ LOVE Lena Dunham. She can do no wrong with this sista.