The 5 Types of Photos Your Personal Style Post Needs

By their very nature, personal style blogs are indeed, personal. We each make choices and shape the way our content looks, from the text to the visuals. How much should you say? How many photos? There’s no right or wrong answer, only your best judgement and what you think is best for yourself and your audience.

When it comes to photos in personal style posts, you can see a full spectrum of possibility across the community. Some bloggers use 10 or 15 photos per post, some use only two or three. It might change depending on the ensemble, or you may stick to a certain amount consistently. No matter how many photos you use, here are what we believe are the 5 most essential shots to include:

1. Full body vertical:

This is a classic and essential shot – to give your readers a total impression of your look from head-to-toe. You can do so much with this, from posing to background – the options are rather limitless. Just be sure you’re the focal point of the image, and in very clear focus!

2. Horizontal from (around) the waist up:

This is a great opportunity to show off your smile! Oh, and your layering, your bag, those cool sunglasses and all that good stuff.

3. Horizontal detail shot:

This shot is one you might use in multiples, if you want to show off jewelery, accessories or the details of a particular piece. Have your photographer get in close, and maybe even use the “macro” setting.

4. Shoe shot:

Who doesn’t want to see the shoes? This shot involves a little work on behalf of your photographer – because it really looks great when taken from ground level. You can mimic a walk or pop a knee, just show the best features, the heel (if there is one) and any cool details.

5. Horizontal full body:

This shot is a great way to show how your outfit looks in your surroundings. If you have a great location to shoot – show it off! Just make sure that even if you’re in the distance, you’re in focus.

What photos do you consider essential to your posts?

About The Author

Profile photo of taylordavies

1. Travelle

While the purpose of a personal style blog is indeed about the styling and clothes, I would love to see more fashion bloggers incorporate great locations into their photos. I believe that an outfit juxstaposed against a great setting can truly make a huge different. I’m a sucker for a great telephoto or wide angle shot.

2. Profile photo of Kholá
    Kholá

What photos do *I* consider essential? There’s no specific formula for me. I choose what looks good and actually prefer shots that are unique, still show the ensemble but don’t necessarily follow a formula.

3. Heather

I also like to include a back shot in each post, but other than that I agree with your list, though I like to include two full body shots if possible. I also love walking and other action shots, though I find them hard to get right.

Personally I think its excessive to post more than 7 or 8 shots of an outfit unless there’s good reason for it. 15 shots of the same outfit, especially of they’re all full body, is just excessive. Edit it down to the best!

4. Stephanie

This post has given me life! My best friends take my photos for me and I chat them up every day right before we shoot, saying things like, “I’ll need 3-4 full body landscapes and about the same amount of full body portraits. And about the same about of close ups and detail shots. The rest is up to you. Creative freedom!”

So seeing this post makes me happy because it’s a detail I’m always cognizant of when I’m taking my photos! ^_^

5. Profile photo of Nathalie F.
    Nathalie F.

Excellent post! I know this, and I think most fashion/style bloggers know this, simply by looking at so many great blogs everyday. But our photographers, especially our boyfriend or mom photographers, don’t always know what we’re looking for! Thanks so much for posting this. I shall show it to my mom and boyfriend. :)

-Nathy

6. J

I really thought this article was a spoof at first, and I’m still not convinced you are serious. WHY in the world would everyone want their blogs to look the same as everyone else’s?!!! I don’t get it… the best formula for success is being different, just use Man Repeller as an example. Doing the same 5 shots as everyone else…. best way to fade into the background. Oy vey.

• Profile photo of taylordavies
      taylordavies

Hi there J – thanks for your thoughts, I always appreciate getting a different perspective on our content! I’m definitely not suggesting that everyone follow a copy-cat formula for their personal style photos. Many of the readers in our audience are brand new to blogging, and their photographers need direction that is often hard to articulate. How you make a photo your own and turn a suggestion into an individual expression is up to every blogger! These types of framing are a great place to start.

7. vanda

Nice tips!!!! It is always good to see that other bloggers have the same questions and fears as you do!!!
    Nice to be part of the IFB!!!!
    Greetings from Greece
    Vanda

8. Profile photo of Elaine C
    Elaine C

This is a great guideline for new bloggers who aren’t sure where to start! Once you can visualize what you want your photo to look like, make the adjustments! :)