The 5 Types of Photos Your Personal Style Post Needs
By: Taylor Davies

overall_esd1

By their very nature, personal style blogs are indeed, personal. We each make choices and shape the way our content looks, from the text to the visuals. How much should you say? How many photos? There’s no right or wrong answer, only your best judgement and what you think is best for yourself and your audience.

When it comes to photos in personal style posts, you can see a full spectrum of possibility across the community. Some bloggers use 10 or 15 photos per post, some use only two or three. It might change depending on the ensemble, or you may stick to a certain amount consistently. No matter how many photos you use, here are what we believe are the 5 most essential shots to include:

1. Full body vertical:

This is a classic and essential shot – to give your readers a total impression of your look from head-to-toe. You can do so much with this, from posing to background – the options are rather limitless. Just be sure you’re the focal point of the image, and in very clear focus!

2. Horizontal from (around) the waist up:

This is a great opportunity to show off your smile! Oh, and your layering, your bag, those cool sunglasses and all that good stuff.

3. Horizontal detail shot:

This shot is one you might use in multiples, if you want to show off jewelery, accessories or the details of a particular piece. Have your photographer get in close, and maybe even use the “macro” setting.

4. Shoe shot:

Who doesn’t want to see the shoes? This shot involves a little work on behalf of your photographer – because it really looks great when taken from ground level. You can mimic a walk or pop a knee, just show the best features, the heel (if there is one) and any cool details.

5. Horizontal full body:

This shot is a great way to show how your outfit looks in your surroundings. If you have a great location to shoot – show it off! Just make sure that even if you’re in the distance, you’re in focus.

What photos do you consider essential to your posts?

Comments

1. Avatar of alicia // river city chic

perfect. this is exactly what i need to tell my photographer next time!

2. Excellent. Will send this to my husband immediately. He’s useless at taking my outfit photos!
    x

3. Avatar of Jalie Chichi
    Jalie Chichi says:

so helpful! Thank you so much!

Jalie,

4. Avatar of Jenny Lam
    Jenny Lam says:

Thanks for this great post! Very useful tips in here!

Jenny

5. Brieanna says:

A great post to help with my personal style photos.
    Brie

6. Avatar of
    Dressing With Desire says:

This is so helpful! Thank you! I have been experimenting with different photos and these have always been my most successful :)

7. Avatar of Shevon Miller

I think I will start doing this! I am totally clueless when taking photos! So this may help out a lot!
    -Shevon

8. Avatar of Onianwah
    Barbara says:

I am starting style posts next year and these tips are exactly what I need.

Barbara
    Lagos, Nigeria

9. Avatar of Hope Howland
    Hope Howland says:

Awesome tip…. really helps put it in perspective!

Hope

10. Travelle says:

While the purpose of a personal style blog is indeed about the styling and clothes, I would love to see more fashion bloggers incorporate great locations into their photos. I believe that an outfit juxstaposed against a great setting can truly make a huge different. I’m a sucker for a great telephoto or wide angle shot.

11. Avatar of CoutureForCurves

Very helpful, I need to start doing this as well.

12. Avatar of Kholá
    Kholá says:

What photos do *I* consider essential? There’s no specific formula for me. I choose what looks good and actually prefer shots that are unique, still show the ensemble but don’t necessarily follow a formula.

13. Heather says:

I also like to include a back shot in each post, but other than that I agree with your list, though I like to include two full body shots if possible. I also love walking and other action shots, though I find them hard to get right.

Personally I think its excessive to post more than 7 or 8 shots of an outfit unless there’s good reason for it. 15 shots of the same outfit, especially of they’re all full body, is just excessive. Edit it down to the best!

14. Avatar of Sharina

Definitely helpful!! Thank you for this!
    ♥,
    Shari
    The Misty Mom

15. Avatar of
    Molen says:

nice , i just need a good photographer

16. Avatar of Petya
    Petya says:

Great post, so helpful! Thanks.

17. Avatar of Chaucee from Streets and Stripes

I really like using the horizontal full body shot because it puts the outfit in more of a context. But I always have a vertical full body shot as well.

18. Avatar of Nasreen
    Nasreen says:

I think everyone should show this post to their photographers!! Sometimes it’s hard to out into words what you want from each shot :P

19. Avatar of Denysia Yu
    Denysia Yu says:

Thanks for the tips! I’m going to need to keep these in mind for my next shoot!

20. Stephanie says:

This post has given me life! My best friends take my photos for me and I chat them up every day right before we shoot, saying things like, “I’ll need 3-4 full body landscapes and about the same amount of full body portraits. And about the same about of close ups and detail shots. The rest is up to you. Creative freedom!”

So seeing this post makes me happy because it’s a detail I’m always cognizant of when I’m taking my photos! ^_^

21. Avatar of Nathalie F.
    Nathalie F. says:

Excellent post! I know this, and I think most fashion/style bloggers know this, simply by looking at so many great blogs everyday. But our photographers, especially our boyfriend or mom photographers, don’t always know what we’re looking for! Thanks so much for posting this. I shall show it to my mom and boyfriend. :)

-Nathy

22. Avatar of Lauren - Slowburn Fastburn

So helpful! I try to get all these shots when I do posts. Sometimes I get good shots, sometimes not, but this is a great guide!

x laur

23. Avatar of Gabriella Kitty

Thank you for your guidelines. It’s a very useful post :)

24. Love this post! So printing and handing this over to the hubby :)

25. J says:

I really thought this article was a spoof at first, and I’m still not convinced you are serious. WHY in the world would everyone want their blogs to look the same as everyone else’s?!!! I don’t get it… the best formula for success is being different, just use Man Repeller as an example. Doing the same 5 shots as everyone else…. best way to fade into the background. Oy vey.

taylordavies says:

Hi there J – thanks for your thoughts, I always appreciate getting a different perspective on our content! I’m definitely not suggesting that everyone follow a copy-cat formula for their personal style photos. Many of the readers in our audience are brand new to blogging, and their photographers need direction that is often hard to articulate. How you make a photo your own and turn a suggestion into an individual expression is up to every blogger! These types of framing are a great place to start.

26. najwa says:

love this post ! very helpful.thank you ! :)

27. Avatar of Diamonds and Daisies
    Hailey says:

Great tips! All I need now is a photographer :p

28. vanda says:

Nice tips!!!! It is always good to see that other bloggers have the same questions and fears as you do!!!
    Nice to be part of the IFB!!!!
    Greetings from Greece
    Vanda

29. Fashion-isha says:

Thanks again for the GREAT tips!
    xo
    Sharon

30. Avatar of Lauren Hochman

I will do this for my next outfit post! Thank you for the great advice once again! Happy Holidays!

xx,
    Lauren of theteenrunway.com

31. Ana Vargas says:

This is great! Thank you! I’m starting out and this is wonderful.

32. Avatar of Caitlin Lindquist

Thanks so much for the photo tips. My husband is my photog and we are both trying to learn at the same time so I find this very helpful.

Thank you.

Xo,
    Caitlin
    A Little Dash of Darling

33. Avatar of Romi Sigal
    Romi Sigal says:

Good points. Now I just need to teach my boyfriend :)

34. Alicia says:

Very helpful tips, thank you!!!

35. Avatar of Elaine C
    Elaine C says:

This is a great guideline for new bloggers who aren’t sure where to start! Once you can visualize what you want your photo to look like, make the adjustments! :)