Your #1 New Year’s Resolution: BELIEVE in Yourself!
By: Taylor Davies

shutterstock_27978116

New year’s resolutions drive me crazy. I mean, really, truly, crazy. We make lofty promises to ourselves of all the things we are going to do and be in the next 12 months, and I have never once talked to someone in say, August, who is still chipping away at the goals they set in January.

While resolutions are a challenge for me, I still do love that fresh, clean slate feeling that comes with the start of a new calendar year. I really want to achieve something new, step my game up, whatever. Something happens though, usually around February and I just forget. Life gets in the way, being lazy sound appealing again, you know the drill.

If you feel the same way, I have an idea for us. I want to try something different: just one – hugely mental – resolution. Are you ready for it?

Believe in yourself.

Boom. It’s that simple. Faith in yourself  is the only foundation you need to accomplish, well, anything. From reading our reader comments, talking with bloggers and friend alike and engaging with all of you on Twitter, it sounds like it’s just a little too easy for us to get down on ourselves. Whether it’s envy that’s blocking our shine or fear of failure, we’ve got to banish these dream-killing attitudes.

Believe. I’m not talking about false confidence, I’m talking about trusting your gut, listening to your heart as well as your brain, and imagining that “Oh yes!” moment instead of succumbing to that “Oh no!” dread in your head.

It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen. – Muhammed Ali

Conviction! I love that word. It means a fixed or firm belief, and that’s what we all need. Not just something you think in your head, but a true conviction that leads to action! In that way, this resolution to believe in yourself isn’t entirely mental. You must, must – do something. Do a lot of things, in fact. Tell yourself you can do it – then do it. Take the steps, get off the couch, send that email, apply to that job, move across the country, call your mom – whatever it takes to put the wheels in motion.

When believing in yourself is your only new year’s resolution, you’ll have exactly what you need to accomplish every goal that comes your way – throughout the entire year! Plans change, so do dreams and goals. But trusting in yourself? That’s a resolution for life.

How do you remind yourself to believe? What are your convictions when it comes to accomplishing your goals?

Comments

1. Love this.

I too have a love affair with New Year’s resolutions for the very reasons you stated. So on Dec. 31st the only resolution I posted on my Facebook:

TALK LESS AND DO MORE!

Self doubt has become an issue because I’m new to this, so “Believe in yourself” will now be “posterized” on my mirror.

2. fresherdam says:

self confidence is the most importance factor of personality building. when you start believing in yourself, you gain the confidence to make yourself perfect.
    Fresherdam

3. Avatar of Ashley & Blake

So inspirational! We are living by this all year long!

4. Sheena says:

I have to agree with Sistah hollywood I love this post. I actually do believe New Years is somewhat of a fresh start. I make sure sure each goal I want to accomplish in the new year is written down that way I can cross each goal off as I achieve it. Growing up my mother use to say to me a goal is only a wish until you write it down.

5. Donna says:

I love this post. What a great idea that one resolution is. I agree wholeheartedly that believing in yourself is the core of any change. I have noticed that if I spend a lot of time around people who doubt my ability to do things, I begin to doubt it. It can be a very subtle thing – they may not directly say “you won’t do well with your blog”, but instead say “what is that going to get you?” or “well not many people can make money at that/be really successful”, etc. And if someone is constantly criticizing you, it can make you begin to question your ability to do A LOT of things, which can affect your blog.
    So let’s all BELIEVE in ourselves and have a great year. Thanks so much – this article was just what I needed to read today!
    Donna

6. Avatar of Yolanda Moore

Such a powerful message! What keeps me going, and helps me to maintain faith in myself is thinking of the outcome. I’ve set a few goals on improving my blog and already it feels overwhelming. But I will not give up, and thanks to this, I’m even more determined. – http://fashnaddict.com

7. Great messages. Taking resolution can help us to take that decisions which are difficult to take.

8. Avatar of Nadya Helena
    Nadya Helena says:

One of the thing that keeps me going is the belief that “everything will be worth it in the end”. If I don’t believe that everything I’m doing has a purpose, I might not do anything at all. Thank you for reminding, Taylor.

Nadya

9. Avatar of Jason
    Jason says:

Such a lovely post & an impeccable piece of inspiring work! Thank you for this!

10. Avatar of moiminnie
    moiminnie says:

Love the idea of having only one resolution! Just wrote a post on my resolutions for 2013 (http://moiminnie.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013.html), and they’re very similar to this mentioned! The simpler the better. And the bigger chance to actually achieve it!
    xx

11. I’m a Life + Career Coach so it was a no brainer when I started blogging in 2009 that I wanted inspiration, encouragement, empowerment and motivation to be a strong part of my blog, and I post daily messages of inspiration on Ascending Butterfly to help keep people motivated. Affirmations definitely help set the pace to your day, I’ve been sharing them daily for awhile now. I keep my blog and my life snark free! :-)

12. Katy says:

For as long as I can remember I have always put “believe in yourself” at the end of every post on my blog http://www.itsallsoscarlett.com, though I sometimes find it hard to do it myself especially when ive tried to improve content or writing and still not seen much difference come from it.

13. Avatar of Jasmine
    Jasmine says:

My mother and father have always stressed the importance of having self confidence and always believing in yourself. Life has presented many different challenges but I remind myself to have faith, pray and keep moving. I love that this article touched on believing in yourself and having conviction (I love that word).

14. Avatar of High Heeled Style

I want to believe. I want to be strong and ignore my self doubt. I want to get off the couch. My challenge is in the doing. Too often I let things get me down. I’m searching for my “dare to be great” moment. My forward step into awesomeness. I may not believe in resolutions but I do like the feeling of a reset button that the start of a new year brings. I’m going to start repeating a mantra and hope that like working a muscle I can turn it into a conviction that will help me reach my goals. Thanks for the great post.

15. karen says:

this is one of the best new years resolutions I have heard,,,,,, mine was simply to stay happy and enjoy!

16. Cori says:

Yes, I love it.

17. Stanford says:

Looking to be Nice. But I love it :*.