5 Tips to Get Two Steps Ahead on Your Blog in 2013
By: Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

shutterstock_117657154

Raise your hand if your New Year’s resolutions included “Blog more regularly,” “Blog more often,” “Stay on top of my blog more” or the like.

I hear from bloggers all the time about the guilt, shame and frustration that comes from feeling behind, having dead weeks without posts, or announcing a schedule and not sticking to it. So, as we get into the rhythm of a new year, I’d love to see you get ahead of yourself.

Step One: Lower the number of times you post per week.

If you’re struggling (and often failing) at your goal of six posts a week, lower it to three. Choose set days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) so the schedule feels intentional to readers and to you.

Step Two: As you create more content, don’t post it, cue it up.

Now that you’ve given yourself permission to only do three posts, that sweet relief may suddenly make you more productive. Instead of putting up posts four & five now, cue them up to go live at a future date.

Step Three: Stop thinking weekly & view your blog in months.

If you just scaled back to three posts a week for January, consider February or March is when you’ll increase to five.

Step Four: Try to stay two weeks ahead.

If you want to increase to three posts a week to five, get two full weeks cued up with five posts before you make that shift. Don’t set a pace you can’t keep up with. Get ahead of yourself and the joy vs guilt that comes from feeling on top of things, will be great momentum to carry you forward.

Step Five: When you hit a rough patch– make an intentional downshift.

Whether it’s a busy season at work or you are heading to the hospital all month with a parent, adjust accordingly. Nix the Saturday post but keep the Tuesday & Thursday so the schedule continues to feel intentional. Worst case? Post a “gone fishing” note of explanation and tell your readers the date you’ll be back. Then stick to it. Even if it’s just to update and say you’ll be away for two more weeks. Don’t beat yourself up and ease up on your self imposed expectations. But don’t be haphazard. Even if it’s one Monday post a week, consistency shows you take yourself seriously, and then others will take you seriously as well.

Give yourself some grace, and present it gracefully to the world.

Do you struggle to “keep up” with your blog? Have you played around with a different number of posts per week? Found your sweet spot, or still feeling overwhelmed?

Comments

1. Excellent advice. I didn’t have to ‘take a break’ for my honeymoon because I had blog posts saved up. I just wrote my first ‘Best Hats for Easter’ post last night. They really save the day when I am suffering from writers block.
    Kathleen

2. These are good tips, especially the limiting your content. That always tripped me up when I kept a regular blog.

3. Oh man, this use to be me!

Wanting to to post all the time, but with naught for content.
    Ha ha, half the time I just wanted to post outfit photos, but I didn’t have a camera to take the pictures!

Thankfully I now own all the supplies I need, so keeping up with the blog is so much easier. :D

• Kelsey, great point about also needing the tools to pull off what your goals are. I’ve just hired a photographer to do a 4-outfit shoot with once a month so I can knock out a month of Monday posts in one shot. Even though I have my own camera & such, having a professional on my calendar once a month really keeps me accountable.

with grace & gumption, Hilary

4. Ana Vargas says:

This is great advice! I just started, but I’m sure at some point my daily schedule will diminish and this will come in handy! THANKS!

5. Another great post with useful tips, thank you. I am stuck on 3 posts per week, although some weeks I can only manage 2. Better less posts but regularly than none at all.

WordPress is great for scheduling posts. It’s handy to prepare posts in advance and schedule publish them when I’m away.

One of my ambitions for this year is to start a monthly fashion post (trends and looks for guys). Fingers crossed I’ll get round to doing it myself or find a guest fashion blogger to help.

6. Awesome advice! I used to struggle with postings because when I began my blog I was trying to do it 2 times a day everyday. Crazy, I know! But now I post once Monday-Friday and use my idea list I curated in Google Docs for help when I need inspiration :)

7. Avatar of Pinksole

When I first started I use to do my posts the day before and quickly realized it was a horrible idea. I was off from work during the holiday so I came up with a editorial calendar, now by Sunday all my posts for the next week are scheduled and I usually have 2 or 3 backups as well. I planned all the holidays I wanted to cover ect, my motto this year is quality over quantity. I’d rather skip a day then post something that is not perfect in my opinion. I also no longer post on weekends, I use that time to relax and get inspired.

xo

8. Avatar of Lexi
    Lexi says:

I was planning on making January an awesome month for my blog because I don’t have class for most of the month. But I just started a new job and have begun seeing a new guy that I’ve been spending a lot of time with, and I haven’t posted ANYTHING for 2013 yet!!

I’m struggling to get back on top of things, the year isn’t off to a good start for me blog-wise but I’m trying to crank out a couple posts in the next two days so I can have some things backlogged. Yikes.

9. Great post Hilary! And something I can *totally* relate to (I spent a lot of 2012 wishing I could be more consistent with my posting and feeling guilty when I couldn’t).

While personally I’d love to post 3 times per week, between an intense full time job and writing projects, once to twice per week is more realistic for me and I’ve come to terms with that. and try to fill the void with an active social media stream. That said, this year I’m going to try and increase that to a consistent schedule of two solid posts per week.

And I say this constantly, but as a blog reader, I far prefer quality over quantity and feel it’s better to have fewer, but top quality posts, than more frequent ‘filler’ posts.

Briony x

• Hi sweet friend! Love your point about “balancing it out” with an active social media steam. That’s really wise to remember. We don’t just have our blogs. We have so many platforms we can be on these days & perhaps the time it takes for one more post could be keeping you active on two or three other platforms that week with a few minutes here & there. You’re a brilliant example of how you can kill it on something like Instagram {follow her at @AGirlAStyle!} & use that to speak for your brand every day.

with grace & gumption, Hilary

10. Avatar of Hope Howland
    Hope Howland says:

Great tips! Thanks!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

11. Avatar of Bisous Natasha

Great ideas. I am already setting up time management on my blog so that I am not behind on posts, or taking too long to upload a post.

Bisous,
    Natasha

12. Avatar of Francesca
    Francesca says:

This was my problem last year. I wanted to blog more but my schedule just wouldn’t permit :| What I do now is to try to plan what i blog way in advance and I draw inspiration from just about anything.

13. Thanks a lot for these ideas! I have experienced a lot of blogging hiatus during the previous years that I’m still coping with more backlogs.

Check out PIXELS AND TALES! I hope you’ll like it!

14. jewel says:

Great POST! I do have this on my goals for this year. To be more consistent with my blog. I too set dates of two post per week since I take my own photos most of the time.. What helps me is also planning out my outfits for work and plan what days Im going to do a shoot. you gave out some really great advice in this post and its so informative! Thank you!
    Xo-Jewel
    styleoptimist.blogspot.com

15. Avatar of Tiffy Diamond

Good post especially for people who have so much going on in life whether family, work, personal. This makes it easy to not get stressed out over something you enjoy like blogging.

xo
    Tiffy

16. Avatar of Lydia
    Lydia says:

Thats a good idea for ‘saving’ posts, especially if something urgent pops up.

ravenmaidenmaven.blogspot.com

17. Avatar of LaRue
    LaRue says:

Plus size blogger here. New to the game! New post! Check it out! http://www.blackhawaii.wordpress.com

18. Avatar of Jackie Campbell

This is helpful information. I have only been blogging about 6 months and I feel like I still haven’t gotten into a good flow. My best few weeks have been most recently. But I felt like I “cheated” by taking all my photos over the weekend! The other disappointment was I felt the quality of the photos was too dark, but that’s just a user thing on my own that I need to sort.
    Taking the photos in advance really encouraged me to be able to post a few times during the week.