The Importance of Paying It Forward As A Blogger
By: Emily Vanderbeek

shutterstock_93875308

Paying it forward

The blog world is full of kindness. Encouraging comments, social media engagement, and posts touting favorite bloggers and brands are common. We can all relate to the feeling of support that this community provides; it keeps us going, helping us to know that our hard work and efforts aren’t going unread or unnoticed.

But there’s a different kind of kindness that I’ve noticed more and more recently that makes me so proud of bloggers. It’s a philanthropic kindness, the kind that comes from an open heart and place of wanting to make a difference.

Bloggers have been using their platform to spread word of causes they believe in. They write to encourage participation, bring attention to topics worth noting and to make a real difference in the lives of others.

Take, for example, Dena. She is a fashion blogger who was diagnosed with breast cancer at a young 29 years old and decided to document her journey of diagnosis and recovery. Her upbeat attitude is inspiring and her bravery is admirable. Also admirable are the bloggers who have shown support for Dena. Grace and Christin both wrote posts about Dena encouraging others to donate on her behalf, helping to raise money for this amazing woman.

Another example is Lynzy of Sparkling Footsteps, who started Operation: Friendship for Newtown, a program to send friendship bracelets and notes for kids affected by the tragedy in Newtown, CT. Countless bloggers like Ashley participated in creating the bracelets and helped to spread the word further by writing posts on the program.

Far and wide, bloggers are showing that our community is deeper than outfit posts and fashion finds. Blogs are being used for the good of others, for selfless purposes, without any thought of something in return. These outreaches are worth taking note of:

Whether your blog has thousands of readers or just a handful, your voice is powerful and can make a difference.

Here’s to recognizing the ability to make a change and to keeping kindness in mind as we create our posts in the near future and beyond.

Have you ever used your blog to shed light on a cause or charity you care about? How has your audience reacted? Share your expereince in the comments.

Emily VanderBeek is a digital advertising professional living & playing in Chicago. She is the blogger behind Isn’t That Charming, a lifestyle blog focused on style, DIY projects & inspirations that charm her socks off.

Comments

1. christin says:

thank you SO much for this post. i think it’s so important that we as bloggers try to use our reach for good!

2. Great concept by bloggers. I love it.

3. Tanya says:

I love that bloggers of all types reach out to make a difference, big and small. I support local groups/causes where I can and internationally I support women and their families in Africa by using their beautiful Kazuri beads in my designs. The All Things Pink! Items sold support educational programs for Susan G. Komen and I created one special bracelet to support the American Veteran’s Disabled for Life Memorial. All small steps, but steps nonetheless. Thanks it IFB for bringing the good work of bloggers to the forefront.

4. Tina says:

As a social worker and a beauty fanatic I’m really passionate about integrating both these worlds. I have a series called “Give A Hoot” on my blog where I shed light on issue and organizations (often related to beauty or fashion) that are lending a helping hand. Check out my latest Give A Hoot: http://www.ourwonderlust.com/ourwonderlust/give-a-hoot-recreate-new-york.html

Thanks,
    Tina

5. Ais says:

I wrote my post from a place of bitterness at being told that no one cares about anyone else, beyond what they can get out of you. It left me reeling and my reply was to post about “Rose-colored Glasses”.

Though I didn’t ask anyone for money or donations for the charities, I did link to them and I can only hope my few readers clicked on those links.

Seems a pretty even split on who thinks what as far as the world, and people, that surround them goes. Some feel it’s a place where there are folks who care, others think that no one genuinely cares (which is really sad to me).

Here’s the link if you’d like to chime in: http://coutureforcurves.com/2012/12/09/rose-glasses/

6. I feel that my charity work is an important part of who I am, so it is natural to include my work with the Junior League in my blog. It puts a human face on a personal style blog.

7. Thanks for this post, IFB! I think it is so important as bloggers that we use our traffic, following, etc. for good whenever we possibly can!

8. Avatar of Jeannie
    Jeannie says:

I think it is amazing how one post can touch so many people and spread the word

9. Avatar of Nadya Helena
    Nadya Helena says:

To be honest it never really occurred to me before to actually help with a cause I care about by blogging! Thank you so much for reminding IFB

10. Avatar of Chaucee from Streets and Stripes

Great post, but all your links are broken!

11. BikePretty says:

Why yes I have! When a good friend was injured and needing to raise funds, I profiled him on my blog and included a link to his donation site at the end of the post: http://bikepretty.com/2012/11/09/bike-handsome-i-lived-with-a-male-model/

12. Avatar of Incognito
    Incognito says:

I think it is a great idea to raise our voice for great causes but do it with caution.
    I remembered when the KONY video went out some influential bloggers posted it on their blog to make their readers aware whereas there weren’t even aware about the all stuff was about. I mean if you intend to make aware your readers on a subject do your homework first by documenting yourself, not just posting a video because you felt pity or bad about a situation.
    By that I don’t mean to do an analysis on the subject but just inform yourself well before.

Shug Avery

13. I am involved with the Burning Man community and they have several non-profit sisters. When I have an opportunity I ask for help from my readers because I believe everyone wants to be a contribution. Here is my most recent request post. http://affatshionista.com/2013/01/13/enrich-your-life-make-a-contribution/

14. Avatar of anne m bray
    anne m bray says:

I recently came upon a Indiegogo project that offers a cool way to add a little donate button to your site called CentUp: