Fashion’s Night Out is Canceled. What’s That Mean For Bloggers?
By: Jennine Jacob

DolceGabbana-NaomiCampbell-FNO2010

DolceGabbana-NaomiCampbell-FNO2010

Fashion’s Night Out. The crowds, the celebrities, the blogger events…

If you’ve ever had a chance to go to Fashion’s Night Out, it’s quite a show. Since 2009, every year stores try to one up themselves from the previous year from giant robot “bloggers” to Coco Rocha and Zac Posen flash mobs, and seemingly every year it just got more crowded.  Since I’m not really much of a crowd person, I generally made an appearance at a shop I liked, then mosied on home taking back streets and alley ways, then watched everything from Twitter and Instagram. Feeling like I was missing out, but missing out from my own doing, which wasn’t so bad.

Bloggers benefited a lot from Fashion’s Night Out. For the beginners, it was an opportunity to cover events without having been invited…. For established bloggers, it was an opportunity to host events and generate income for the season.

Bloggers benefited a lot from Fashion’s Night Out. For the beginners, it was an opportunity to cover events without having been invited. To get access to the favorite stores and take photos without security guards trying to throw you out. For medium bloggers it was great to meet up with your blogger friends and cruise around and get free drinks and have fun being invited to parties. For established bloggers, it was an opportunity to host events and generate income for the season. It seemed like any blogger who had somehow “made it” did FNO events, from Tavi, Manrepeller, and HonestlyWTF… it was the perfect way to bridge the gap between the digital voyeurs and the bridge and tunnel crowd.

glamouraiFNO1-750x600

(The Glamourai at the True Religion FNO event)

The problem was, and always had been that Fashion’s Night Out for all it’s grandiosity failed to make money for the the retailers, however as stated in WWD, it was more about creating engagement, and to reinvigorate the shopping industry. That said, if it had made money for the retailers, they would not opt to discontinue it.

I wonder if the cancellation of Fashion’s Night Out will make the September New York Fashion Week more subdued. Part of me felt like some of the antics that went on in previous years were connected to Fashion’s Night Out. That said, bloggers have been benefiting from this for the last four seasons and perhaps that means the opportunities will change for live events in the coming season.

What do you think? Do you think bloggers will be affected by the Fashion’s Night Out “hiatus?”

[Image found here]

Comments

1. Avatar of Linda Ramone
    Linda Ramone says:

Its understandable that it gets canceled due to the lack of income, something I think they were aiming for when starting FNO. Although I have been reading many blogs and their coverage of the event, and really enjoyed the content, so its rather sad too. But I don’t think there’s any point to keep a moneysink running over time, if thats all it does – drain money from those who were ment to earn from the event.

Oh well, luckily there’s a vast ocean of other fashion-related content to read. IE blogs!

2. Fashion’s Night Out was fun but more like a PR night for bloggers. I always enjoyed being a part of the events but it was not an evening where I ever made a purchase. It was more festive than a true night of shopping. Many of the events allowed us to meet with celebs we may not have necessarily partied or conversed with. If I remember correctly, BarneysNY did not take part last year in FNO.
    I personally think it was the perfect prelude to Fashion Week…but like everything else…we’ll adjust! There’ll be something else new and exciting to attend.

3. Zamri says:

I used to ‘cover’ London’s FNO for two consecutive years when it was first started back in 2009. It was a great experience coz I gotta jump from one venue to the other, from designer outlets to the highstreet stores that participated in the event. To be honest, I think FNO is more to the ‘engagement’ to the brand or labels, more to party inside, more to meeting up with fellow shoppers rather than the real shopping experience. Despite the intention is to lure shoppers to spend their dosh, I don’t think the discounts that the stores’ offering is that great to make people really shop (only 10%, come on…better wait for Sale season right?)! I remember those who went into the store are more like mingling around, enjoying what’s happening such as watching free live music, in-house fashion show, getting free mani and pedi, eating free food, etc – but not so much on the shopping though. Perhaps that’s why they cancelled it. Not being able to really generate good income out of it. One thing for sure – cancelling FNO might bring down the real ‘fun’ element that lead to Fashion Week though.

4. Avatar of Chaucee from Streets and Stripes

I’ve always wondered how FNO faired financially. I’ve attended my fair share of FNO events, but never purchased anything.

5. Akilah says:

I’m torn. I moved to NYC and I went to my first FNO last fall. While I get that bloggers are making big money hosting events at different stores, I could see the waste of money even last year. It is hard to coordinate the events because it is so popular, and many of the bloggers I saw weren’t hosting anything–they were just standing in the store with an employee. I don’t think this is the bloggers’ faults, I just think that it’s hard to justify the high cost of hiring people who aren’t really doing much (for an example, if Kim Kardashian is in the store with the cast of 3 reality shows from Bravo, you can’t expect the blogger to be doing too much but being in the way).

I’m kind of bummed, because I think Fashion Week is a bit elitist and it would be nice to make it accessible to everyone if just for a night, but I can’t say I’m surprised.

6. Avatar of Kholá
    Kholá says:

I think this is sad yet I understand why they did it. It became a ‘celeb sighting’ event and the whole purpose what to up retailers bottom lines. Great concept in the beginning but I think it turned on itself.

I do hope there will be something similar that WILL help retailers.

7. Avatar of fashionofphilly

I’m sad to see that it’s been canceled. I usually love covering the FNO events in the Philadelphia area, granted I did receive some great gifts from local retailers and didn’t do a lot of purchasing, but nevertheless it was still tons of fun! I don’t think I’ll be greatly effected by this but I will miss blogging about it!

8. Anthony says:

Is this only for NYC? What about Florence and other Italian/Euro FNOs?

9. Avatar of Thomas
    Thomas says:

I’m so upset that they’re cancelling FNO, it was fun and something to look forward to but it was also starting to just become an abundance of overpriced entails and opportunities to underage drink. But I’m glad I got to at least experience it once…

10. I have a feeling that some stores (who have benefited from Fashion’s Night Out) will make events during fashion week to get people in the stores. It doesn’t necessarily NEED to be called “Fashion’s Night Out.” This cancellation could be an initiative for stores to do big, awesome things… robots and models and all.

11. As an organizer of events on Madison Avenue for Fashion’s Night Out, I understand that it did not generate enough sales for retailers. It stopped being about reviving the fashion industry and started to be a competition between stores to have the most lavish and ridiculous events. I was working the year Justin Bieber was at Gucci and remember how not one person there purchased anything but they did manage to trash the store.

On the other hand, I agree with this article in the fact that fashion bloggers had a great opportunity with FNO. It was a way to meet your fans and connect with potential clients and retailers.

I think there is a way to make FNO generate sales and still be fun. Better deals and discounts is definitely one way. One of my favorite events that we made was a fashion hunt. It resulted in shopping and prizes for the participants. Let’s brainstorm and submit something to the CFDA and Anna Wintour! I want FNO to continue but we have to rethink the event!

12. Avatar of Nena
    Nena says:

Being a lady never goes out of fashion! Read my new post about it.

xx

13. Avatar of Lu White
    Lu White says:

Its sad, because it really is a great opportunity to meet with other fashion bloggers and those really interested in the industry to network with each other. But I went last year and the crowd was absolutely rowdy and out of control. Took the whole allure of the night away.

14. Daria says:

I`ve never been there, but I totally agree with the opinion described here. It`s a significant event for bloggers and ordinary people who are just interested in personal style and just want to get an advice concerning trends. I believe, this or that store participated in FNO receive a publicity. It`s a way of advertising. Hence, it`s a rather beneficial event for the shops as well.
    Anyway, cancellation of the whole FNO concept everywhere in the World is not the right decision. I guess it`s possible to carry out some kind of special offers or campaign or may be organize a charity event under FNO. I don`t believe that there is no solution. What a pity!

15. Avatar of Demi at Astronaumica.com

It’s saddening that I never got the chance to attend!

16. Avatar of Nathalie F.
    Nathalie F. says:

This article has left me really confused. Do you meant to say that FNO’s have been universally cancelled, or just in New York? If it was just New York, that should’ve been made clear. There ARE other fashionable cities in the world that aren’t NYC, ya know.

17. Avatar of Armand Cox
    Armand Cox says:

I happen to agree with ICFashionChic that FNO can and should be profitable to retailers and in recent years it’s been people just hanging out for a grab bag or to see a celebrity vs buying that exclusive must have item from your favorite designer. I love the idea of FNO and how it initially rolled out, but it needs to reinvent itself to make itself special again for both the stores, shoppers, and us bloggers.

18. Avatar of The Science of Happy

Times are tough and sometimes decisions have to be made even if it means backlash.

19. Avatar of Christiana
    Christiana says:

How sad! As a non-NY resident I really enjoyed watching everyone’s updates online and hoped to go someday. :(

20. Avatar of Miu Koridi
    Miu Koridi says:

That’s terrible, I never made it to FNO… But I was really looking forward going to NY this year. Still, I understand the retailers point of view.

21. Avatar of Becca
    Becca says:

Frankly, I never understood FNYO. The timing felt gauche in light of the economy, leaving me with a four years of WTF. Fashion spectacles are always fun, but this one always felt forced and B&T, less “fashion for the people” and democracy they intended. I never got how a DJ, velvet rope and cheap champagne made me want to shop more. Frankly, as a NYer I’m thrilled to have the straight line home:)

22. Lauren Applebaum says:

Although I understand the opportunities that FNO presented for fashion bloggers of all levels, it unfortunately comes down to the fashion retailer’s ROI. Hosting in-store events, especially to the magnitude of the FNO affair, is extremely costly for the companies involved. Regardless of the fabulous arguments put forth for their continuation it’s simply a numbers game for businesses. If the money invested doesn’t generate a decent return, re-allocating the budget becomes the logical solution. I agree with the comments that FNO started out with the best intentions…it just seems that the objectives drowned in the free Prosecco.

23. I think once it goes in NYC it will die on the vine all over. It was so needed when AW brainstormed it in 2009 after the dreadful financial fall out in the Fall of 2008, however, it was time to pull the plug. The time and expense for the retailers was definitely not being well served by 14 year olds travelling in packs. Basta! As a Blogger, I’m ready to move on as well.

24. Avatar of Latoya Andrée Kessie

I thoroughly enjoyed FNO in London, UK. I think that it is important for retailers to realise that consumers and bloggers are looking for GREAT EXPERIENCES and Fashion Night Out did this.

However, I think the strategists behind the event clearly didn’t think about how it would exactly make them money. It would have been better if they at least interacted with the fashion community to find out things like What they buy? What they like? What do the want to see? Instead of organising the event based on assumptions from a distance with the fashion elite.

25. I think that it was too much work (for somebody) to organize fashions night out and probably having the parties ended up costing retailers more money then they brought in. I think that if the right person was in charge, they could have made it more about fashion and less about the glitz and glamour. We tend to loose sight of what’s really going on when the celebs get involved!!

26. justine says:

is this only in New york or also cancelled in Paris?! all over?

27. Avatar of ZhenyaH
    ZhenyaH says:

Too bad it got cancelled. I know the retailers are struggling to make money these days, but maybe if they find sponsors and do it as a charity event in the future?
    Xo,
    Z

28. Bridgette Raes says:

Being a hater of crowds, I never went. I won’t miss it.

29. Avatar of theposhblog
    theposhblog says:

So sad. I won’t take a hiatus, FNO wasn’t the bane of my blogging existence.

30. Avatar of Anakiya
    Anakiya says:

Financially it makes sense but from a PR perspective I’m not sure it does make much sense. It created a lot of buzz for fashion and I would think for the “next” starts. I’m sure someone will think of something else and once the economy gets better these events will start popping up all over. It’s just a matter of the consumer having disposable income and have the demand.

Makes me even more excited for NYFW :)

31. Austen says:

I am definitely upset that FNO is cancelled! I loved going to previous year’s events and participated in Honestly WTF’s bracelet making and indulged in Baked by Melissa at Free People. Thought it was a great night to promote the local businesses and NY based brands as well as celebrate this amazing industry. Definitely will impact bloggers in a negative way.

32. Avatar of chanellielove

How much is the cancellation but unfortunately one of the things

33. We’ll definitely miss it in Miami but fans of fashion and film can still check out the Miami Fashion Film Festival, kicking-off September 12-15!

34. Avatar of Dunia
    Dunia says:

It really is a shame. I understand that they didn’t make that much money of it, but there is nothing to do about it then, I just wish that they don’t cancel the one in Denmark, and i hope that a replacement will come up soon, although it is difficult to compete with fashions night out!

35. Avatar of Charles E.
    Charles E. says:

Sadly, conclusively, it is all about the money, ain’t it? Correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!

36. Avatar of Cynira Clay
    Cynira Clay says:

I’m saddened to hear about this news. I never had the opportunity to make it and now that I’m blogging I would have loved to go!

37. Avatar of Alannah Jones

aw no FNO.That makes me sad actually.

38. Baju Korea says:

I’m sad because never got the chance to attend!

39. Avatar of SecretStyle
    SecretStyle says:

What a shame!
    Maybe something bigger and better is on it’s way!

40. Avatar of Miss City Chic

that is sooo disappointing. I always looked foraward to it :(

41. Avatar of Siobhan Sullivan & Miriam Bouteba

I’ve always enjoyed FNO, I am definitely disappointed. :( With all the champagne, you’d think they see more financial incentives from tipsy attendees. :P

42. Avatar of Maggie A
    Maggie A says:

Oh dear! This can’t be good. I know for me this was a great time to update myself on the upcoming season’s fashion.

xo
    Maggie
    Love Mavin

43. Avatar of Jenni Pietro
    Jenni Pietro says:

Awww :(
    I’m very disappointed, but I totally understand. I’ve spent my Fashion Night Out’s in Bloomingdales, Soho, and even around the Upper East Side. The only things I’ve bought are the super cute FNO shirts.

44. Avatar of Ambitieuse
    Ambitieuse says:

Is it cancelled only in NY or other big cities?
    I know that last night, was the FNO in Mexico… though I think they did since it’s a new thing in our territory and people are still very enthusiastic about it!
    xx

45. Maddie Jane says:

it means we get to sleep in for a day! hahaha :)

46. Avatar of Julieta Barado

Nice! Im new in blogger, I would be really grateful if you check my fashion blog :)

Thanks, Julieta, 16 years.

47. Avatar of Curvasian
    Curvasian says:

We still have it this year in Hong Kong mainly because of the marketing team of our super fashion store Lane Crawford. I think fashion brands/ stores should just organise their own in the community they belong to to create diversities.

48. Avatar of Andy Z
    Andy Z says:

I never had a chance to go, It looked like so much fun and so much glam. I hope it comes back again.

MY BLOG: http://www.fashiongiver.com

49. Avatar of Teso
    Teso says:

FNO is like an oasis in the desert! It saturates us with new ideas, it inspires and, at long last, it gathers us together! So, of course, the cancellation of it is not less than a bolt from the blue! Amen

50. Avatar of Shawnna
    Shawnna says:

I think that cancelling Fashion Night Out has affected bloggers. I live in Washington, D.C. and the Georgetown neighborhood and shops decided to host a mock Fashion Night Out called FAD (Fashion, Art, Design). It wasn’t a great success, probably because it rained all night long, but at least they made an attempt. They had a ton of blogger events in the neighborhood and I somehow became a volunteer for the event as well (helping out the organizers to give out info to people on the street about the event and where they can go for each event). I agree that it wasn’t about the money being made that day, it’s about bringing awareness to the fashion industry. I spoke with some store managers that day about the cancellation of Fashion Night Out and they all pretty much said that since Georgetown is a very wealthy neighborhood, they can just create their own event and people will come anyway, but on the flip side, having that big name of Fashion Night Out behind the event would have made the outcome larger for the event.

51. Avatar of Sophia
    Sophia says:

Is it only for New York people?

52. Ever since I read about FNO I’ve dreamed of going, But being a young blogger that would have had to happen in the future. I mean Young. Like middle school young. I’ve also dreamed of going to Fashion Week, that’s going to happen when I turn thirteen, maybe even before that. But now I will get to go to FNO. Why would you do such a thing? Maybe you didn’t have to send so much money every year, or it could have been sponsored or something. Just why take that away from people? it’s not fair. Their wasn’t a vote. IT wasn’t a democracy. Did bloggers even have an opinion? Okay, my daily rant is done.

53. Avatar of Carsla Peyton

Awww. This is unfortunate!

<3 Carsla
    Founder & CEO of Connect-the-Cloths
    A stylist's, foodie's, & writer's blog in development.

54. Avatar of Danielle
    Danielle says:

I never went to one, but it’s sad to hear that it was cancelled :( Hopefully they’ll rethink it!

55. Avatar of Aahna
    Aahna says:

Let´s be honest. Runways and Fashion week events are not made for bloggers. Are made for buyers. In some point everything got full of bloggers and the real people interested in make bussiness found uncomfortable this situation. Some great designers decided to left the bloggers outside the shows because this and other reasons.

I think bloggers are now an important part of the industry but after all, we got to understand the roots of this events, the real reasons why they are hosted is to make bussiness.

Fashion like everything else is evolving, and as a bloggers we need to understand wich is our place in the bussiness and know that our responsability is even bigger than 5 years ago but the platforms and techniques are pretty different.
    LAZYCATSTYLE

56. Fashion News says:

can any one tell me what is the reason of canceled this night ?
    http://fashionupdatenews.com said that this fashion night is done but didn’t found any video or any link

57. Avatar of Kohinoor Dev Roy

FNOs seem to be more for the PR professionals, media and the bloggers than for serious shoppers. It’s natural to be swayed by other happenings in that place other than picking up stuffs. However canceling it is not the call. Making such events more engaging would make better sense, like doing a open house and calling for auctions

58. Catherine says:

Due to cancel of party , all plans are failed. it is very sad news for the lovers of fashion party which are invests money and planning for enjoyment.