Social Media Tips For Being of Service, Not Self-Serving
By: Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Comments

1. Kate says:

I think the hardest thing for me in terms of sharing is that so much of what happens in your personal life involves other people – and I’m not sure if it’s right to share something that involves someone else. I think people can share whatever they want to about themselves, but when I think of the things that happen in my life, quite often there is someone else attached to it, and THEY haven’t decided to share their personal lives with the blog world, so I don’t feel like it’s my place to do so. For example, when my significant other’s father passed away… it was a horrible, hard time and we struggled with things for months but it was HIS father and HIS life and I didn’t feel like it was my place to discuss the details on the blog, even though it was something major that I was also dealing with/struggling with. I think we need to be mindful of whose personal lives we’re sharing.

I do love how you outlined it above though with the 3 stages! That’s so true, and acts as the perfect guide when we’re debating on whether to share something or not!

• Kate, that’s such a great point. And I think in that case you can just say “someone near to me has passed” or “someone I love lost someone they love”. Honestly I’ve been walking through some really intense things with friends lately that’s been taking a lot of time away from my business, & I’ve just expressed that on social media by saying that my heart is hurting for people I love, etc & not including any details. Hope your SigOther’s family has healed from that loss as best they can. :)

with grace & gumption, Hilary

2. Avatar of Hope Howland
    Hope Howland says:

I absolutely love this! And I couldn’t agree more… It’s important to not put out information to the masses that wouldn’t be appreciated or understood. Yet I find there is a balance between both worlds.

I tend to relate to those who are are more open… and for me as a blogger that is something I strive for but also maintaining that essential privacy. Especially when what you could be sharing to the public is information that is so very close and precious to your heart. It’s important to evaluate if your audience will see the value like you will…. All the while getting rid of the perception that “our life is perfect”. No life is without struggles, fears, joys & celebrations… In anything it’s all about balance and knowing who you are…

• Hope, I think you touched on something when you said that no one’s life is perfect. I really think that’s where all of this challenge comes from. Even prior to the internet, we’ve always been wired to think the grass is greener elsewhere & feel our problems are larger. I think having strong personal relationships so you’re always reminded of that “Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle” adage is so true, is how to remind your heart of that.

with grace & gumption,
      Hilary

3. Laura Yazdi says:

My blog is a reflection of my adventures in the fashion world, nothing more. I may mention my boyfriend from time to time, but he is my photographer. Otherwise I keep all personal accomplishments, struggles etc off my blog and away from my social media because it is my business and literally a business I am trying to grow. Not something I want the world to know about.

4. Avatar of Khanh Nguyen
    Khanh Nguyen says:

I’ve tried to keep much of my personal life; personal. Like previous comments have said, the most I reveal are my travels or minor life situations. But that may due to most of my readers already know me. Maybe when my site expands more then maybe I’ll expel more.

5. Thank you for a well thought out post. I pinned this for future use. I don’t include a lot of personal stuff on my blog..yet anyway…so it’s good to hear what’s best to include and when. Debbie @ ilovemylemonadelife.com

• You’re so welcome Debbie! I’m glad to hear you saved it as I don’t think it’s a one-time answer & something we’ll all continue to navigate & re-evaluate as our brands, blogs & the scope of the internet grows & changes.

with grace & gumption,
      Hilary

6. Great thoughts, Hilary. I hadn’t thought about it in those terms beginning/middle/other side – but it’s totally true. I can see each of those stages in my own life experiences. Thanks for sharing :)

7. Avatar of Hey Mishka
    Hey Mishka says:

Great assessment of these three stages and how you respond to/interact with your readers accordingly. Social media sometimes feels like an endless stream of tidbits and digital postcards that arrive rapidly and fade quickly, but when sh*t gets real I think you can find that your communities can become extremely human and supportive.

Mishka

8. Avatar of Tara
    Tara says:

I like your analogy of beginning/middle/other side. Super easy to understand. Good points

9. Lyzi says:

I’ve always been a very personal blogger, although I try to keep a lot of my feelings off the blog until I’ve had time to straighten them out in myself first. One of the biggest responses I’ve ever had from a blog post is when I spoke openly about my experiences with mental health. I was still experiencing some problems, and most of what I was talking about was from “the other side” and “the middle” which I think helped people to relate. Great article.