Batching: The One Time Management Idea That Can Revolutionize Your Blog

fashion blogger

Over the last 5 months I’ve been conducting an experiment. On myself. To be honest, I was overwhelmed after a year & a half of running my own styling business. A business I love, but one that left me exhausted & feeling like I could never catch up.

We’re all on the quest for that the elusive work/life balance. And the best break-through I’ve had is something called ”batching”.

Technically batching just means “to arrange things in groups”. It’s used in entrepreneurial circles to discuss “batching time”; doing one group of things at a time.

Here’s how batching looks for a style blogger:

• Sitting down every Sunday night to narrow photos in Lightroom, edit them in Photoshop, re-size, label, export, upload to SquareSpace, caption, link to Beso & write text. VS You now sit down Sunday afternoon & do that for not just one, but four blog posts at a time. You finish everything in Photoshop. Then you find all the links on Beso at one time.
  • Starting with a blank canvas each time you do a vision board. VS You come up with your template, then search on Pinterest for images with three different boards in mind. You create them all back to back, cuing them up to go out over the next three weeks. And while you’re at it, you get ideas for your next two boards & put them on your editorial calendar.
  • Writing a pitch to one brand. VS Tweaking it  to be appropriate for each & sending it out to three others back-to-back.

Research shows the average 9-5 worker wastes 28%  of their day (over 1/4th!) in task shifting. It takes your brain time to ramp up focus on something new, to adjust & be ready to get going. How can you save the 28% of your time that’s getting lost, instead of being invested in your blog? By lowering the number of times you switch tasks, websites or platforms.

When you’re in Photoshop, stay there & edit the next thing. Once Beso is open, go ahead & find the next round of links. When you’re image hunting on Pinterest, do it for more than one post.

As a cheeky way to remember this, would you go to all the work of baking just to make one cookie, then get out the ingredients all over again the next time? Why not just make a batch {wink, wink} while you’re at it, thinking beyond today, & saving the extra cookies to enjoy in a snap tomorrow.

P.S. If you’re really lit up by this idea, you can see how I batched my time over the last six months in this post.

What do you struggle with in terms of pulling off your blog every week? What aspects of your business could you start batching?

[Image credit: Shutterstock.com]

Related Posts

About The Author

1. Jasmine

When I’m doing my weekly wishlist I always include items I’ve seen on the internet throughout the week and then pinned on Pinterest. So much more easier then trying to find lots of new items all on one day, saves a lot of time too. x
    – Jasmine

2. Jennifer

I think this is great advice. I’m not a fashion blogger, I just started a food blog, but dealing with photos for a handful of posts in one sitting and getting a handful of posts written in another sitting makes a lot of sense.

3. Elisa

I 100% agree on this. It really hit me when I started using Hootsuite: how easy is scheduling post for Facebook, Twitter and Google+ at the same time? I can have everything under control and posting different things or the same things at the same time on different platforms! It’s so time saving! I sit one day a week and I schedule the whole week. I wish Pinterest was on Hootsuite as well! Unfortunately it is not, so I have to use another website to schedule Pinterest as well!
    Regarding the actual blog posts: I still struggle in doing them “in a batch” because it takes lot of focusing for me just to do one that I just can’t think of more than one at a time. But what happens is that I get ideas for other posts mostly when I’m writing, or reading. So I always start a draft and then save it to be completed some day soon.
    I will surely follow your suggestions though!
    Thanks a lot!

styleBizarre

• Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Elisa, I love that about batching social media! And I hope someone’s listening about Pinterest. 😉 That would really be helpful. My dream would also be to be able to “cue up” Instagram someday. Not sure how likely that is, but anything I can cue up & batch I want to! Ha.

with grace & gumption, Hilary

• Ayida

Great tips, love the cookies methaphor 🙂 I’ve just started blogging about DIY fashion and because of the abundance of inspiration I find, I already learned that batching helps me to stay focused and plan ahead.

@Elisa: can you tell us which site you use to schedule Pinterest? I never knew that was possible!

• Hilary Rushford | Dean Street Society

Hi Ayida, you can schedule your Pins using Pingraphy.com. 🙂

with grace & gumption, Hilary

4. Margot Potter

I love this idea! It’s easy to feel overwhelmed trying to come up with something new every day, doing it in batches and setting it to drip helps alleviate some of that pressure. Super smart!

5. Taila

I think batching is a great idea, during the week I’m sometimes to tired to do much blogging and editing. I now try to be two days ahead of my posting schedule so I won’t miss a day of posting. Your suggestions are awesome, I am going to try batching on Sundays! 🙂

6. Asia Mays

Ah yes. I will have to get back to this form of work. Great post!

7. Dee

Great tips this is something I struggle with. I have been feeling overwhelmed lately trying to be consistent on my blog and other social media platforms. It makes so much sense to do it this way rather than concentrating on only one post at a time.

Thanks,
    Dee

8. Patsy Marie

Omg I don’t think I would have ever though about it that way but that just made it Christie clear the batch of cookies metaphor. I would definitely say I struggle with time management and promoting

9. Bohmyi

This is really interesting! I had no idea that it requires so much effort for our brain to switch between tasks. I’m definitely going to try this time management technique out, because I know that maximizing the little time that I have for blogging would definitely be useful. Thank you for the tips, lovely! x

10. Barbara

I didn’t know it had a name. I actually discovered it by mistake when I realised that editing over a 100 pictures in one day, uploading them to photobucket and then creating draft posts with all the pictures (with each task done at the same time. Yesterday I saved more than 10 draft posts, lol) is actually easier on my brain and less tasking. I have been doing it since the beginning of the year and it makes everything so much easier, even in my 9 – 5 job (sometimes I can’t help it there because things happen all at once).
    Thank you for this Hilary.

Barbara