IFB Conference Featured in Today’s WWD

Following the success of the Independent Fashion Bloggers Evolving Influence Conference that took place this past Monday, Women's Wear Daily included the conference in a front page story today called “Fashion's New Fever: Bloggers in Spotlight As They Aim for Fame.”

The article highlights several of our panelists from the future of blogging session at IFBCON, moderated by our founder Jennine Tamm, including BryanBoy, Tavi, Susie Bubble, Phil from Street Peeper and Britt and Lauren of Fashionista.

You can read the full article here, but we've included an excerpt below.

What are your thoughts on the article? Is it about fame for you? What drives you to blog?

Even as the fashion world rushes to embrace them, though, not all bloggers are happy with the attention. At a conference put on Monday by the group Independent Fashion Bloggers, which has more than 6,000 members, a panel of some of the best-known bloggers decried the hype about blogging.

“We’re focusing on bloggers as freak beings, which I find a little offensive,” said Lau. “They’re one strand of media. Magazines are another strand.”

“A lot of the fuss is made up,” said Britt Aboutaleb of fashion news blog Fashionista. “We’re all at the shows together, and Vogue is there, too, and no one’s unhappy and she didn’t steal my seat. There’s room for everyone, everybody who wants to have a voice. The more, the merrier.”

Gevinson noted the hype “gained momentum because [the Grazia editor] Twittered she couldn’t see behind my hat. I thought they were making a joke. But all of a sudden, it’s ‘Bloggers and editors at war! Which side are you on?’”

Streetwear photographer Phil Oh of Street Peeper noted, “When there’s hype, there’s a backlash. I’m wondering when that will start to happen.”

In person, Gevinson, a self-described fashion geek, is calm amid the hullabaloo surrounding her. Her comments on her blog and in person are ironic and thoughtful. It’s impossible to imagine she doesn’t write her blog herself, as some publications, such as New York Magazine, have suggested.

Gevinson was upset to read that, said her mother, and now mostly avoids reading about herself in the press.

“It’s a lot more to think about,” said Engem as her daughter was signing autographs and giving interviews before her panel at the Independent Fashion Bloggers conference in Chelsea. “We used to live a normal life, and now we need to think about where she’s going, what she’s doing and be careful. It’s intense, but so much of it is fashion week and Internet related. So normal life at home is not affected. We don’t talk about it much at home.”

Stay tuned for the recap of the Evolving Influence Conference including photos and videos!

1. andrew

Hey hey! Congrats on all this conference business! us german residents are fierce impressed…

tschüssi,

Ä

2. thefatandskinny

Congrats! The whole aiming for fame thing rubs me the wrong way though. I think we aren’t aiming for fame. We just want to have a voice. Totally different.

3. Barbara (galligator)

Congrats on the coverage & excellent speaker line-up.

Thanks for this & the IFBcon. I missed much of the live-streaming, but what I caught was excellent. Are there any plans to replay or make available the different panels for those who missed sections?

As for bloggers wanting fame, I expect that type of individual is not the majority. I am much better ‘on paper’ and that works for me. Not that I would miss an invitation to go to NYFW or an industry shoe show if I could afford it, but how often will that really happen?

We make and measure our own success. I love watching how our readership has increased over the last 18 months, because that means people are connecting to what we are offering. Of course, our site owner would certainly love it if the site were consistently and increasingly profitable; wouldn’t we all love our hobbies to become successful career alternatives?

Although I can’t speak for the other writers who contribute at the blog where I write, I can tell you that my writing as galligator for a niche fashion site is the creative outlet that helps me keep my mental equilibrium & sanity while raising 3 kids. I have found that I am a better person & parent when I am actively involved in a creative process such as writing (although I have others, they are just more expensive to pursue).

Of course, that’s just me. YMMV.

4. lisa

Woohoo way to go Jennine!

Something about the tone in the beginning of this article really irked me. It made bloggers seem like a dissatisfied bunch who are getting A-list treatment and complaining about it! Not true at all. I don’t think that the bloggers who’ve achieved acclaim are unhappy with attention on the whole–I imagine they’re unhappy with certain negative aspects of it. As with everything else, blogging has its positives and negatives. It’s unduly harsh to nail someone just because they’re not overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the good and the bad.
    .-= lisa´s last blog ..Product Review: Korres Abyssinia Oil Volumizing Mascara =-.

5. Fasshonaburu

So five-ten fashion bloggers get star treatment and suddenly people think we’re all famous, attention getters? Most bloggers are still fighting to even get into the shows, and I’m not talking about the just started six months ago, have 100 readers sites. But let’s hope this isn’t a fad, but a slow movement towards being taken seriously!
    .-= Fasshonaburu´s last blog ..Who’s Who of Fashion Week =-.

6. [email protected]

Great article! And congratulations on getting written up in such esteemed publication. This article really seems to be congratulating bloggers, and of course IFB, on becoming successful through blogging. Most blogs do not, and will not, make money. It makes perfect sense to use them as a tool to brand yourself as a relevant, knowledgeable, or viable brand. What once started as a marketing tool for me has now evolved into a platform to continue to write about the things I love. It’s my passion. I can’t imagine not blogging.

7. [email protected]

I guess I forgot to address the “fame” part. Fasshonaburu stated it best. A very, very small percentage of fashion bloggers will reach famous status. That goes for any medium, any organization. I think that what makes bloggers odd to traditional journalists and editors as that we started from scratch. We didn’t have friends in the publishing industry, we didn’t “know” someone. Many of us started with free tools, and still use them. And somehow, some of us are getting noticed. That must bewilder them.
    .-= [email protected]´s last blog ..Vintage Shopping | Santa Monica Vintage Fashion Expo Report =-.

8. Madeline Veenstra

Congratulations! This is such a fantastic recognition for all your hard work. Unfortunately I was only able to watch one hour of the conference due to the time difference, but from what I saw it was extremely interesting and very thought provoking. It was very interesting to hear just how much time some of the bloggers put into their sites, I think I recall Bryan Boy mentioning he spends around 18 hours online a day?

Although the article does make it seem like any blogger can slip into a show though, I think there are only a handful of bloggers and sites that are welcome, and some of the ones that were have large publishing companies behind them.

I agree with Barbara, it would be fantastic if we could watch the sessions that we missed 🙂
    .-= Madeline Veenstra´s last blog ..User:Karenboswell =-.

9. KB

I had so much fun here and really enjoyed the debates and meeting other bloggers! The article makes it seem like we’re all having a whale of a time, but it’s quite the reverse; we are not all like the so-called celebrity bloggers. I agree about the whole democracy thing Susie mentioned; so many blogs are being highlighted and it’s kind of taking away the achievements of smaller blogs. I definitely feel like I need to work on mine. Having said that, I’d love more blogger events like this to happen, not just every 6 months (and maybe one in London once I’m back).
    .-= KB´s last blog ..Bloggers and Blagging at Bryant Park =-.

10. Ondo Lady

Well done for organising such a fantastic and well needed event. I watched the live streaming online and found the panels and discussions very interesting. I really enjoyed the debate about ethics and the way journalists choose to operate. I just wish I could have been there but oh well there is always next time. Are there any plans to upload any of the debates online?
    .-= Ondo Lady´s last blog ..Fashioning February: My London Style Icon by Reena Rai =-.

11. Katy

Congrats to everyone!
    I think blogging isn’t about searching for fame. It’s about giving our thoughts and opinion a voice that they might not normally get in mainstream media. And someone who is in it just for fame isn’t going to make it very far. You have to actually care about this topic to make people pay attention to what you’re saying.
    .-= Katy´s last blog ..Knit and Tied =-.

12. Julie Ling

I am addicted to blogging. I have noticed that I generally have a different persepctive on things fashion and in life in general and I thought that using a blog to outlet these interesting points would open eyes for other people.

I blog fashion because I am different sort of blogger, quite difficult to explain. You just have to see it. I do a lot of research and come across interesting information, and being the talkative person I am, I get uber excited and insistant on sharing that information.

I’m not doing it for fame, I’m doing it to as an avant-garde blogger.

13. Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels

For me it’s definitely not about fame. If it was, I would be going in a different direction with my blog.

Instead, I stick to what I like and what I feel like sharing, so fashion-themed posts mix up with posts about expat living and such.

That isn’t to say that I wouldn’t like to develop more connections in the area I currently live in. I was getting used to being invited to events and being e-mails by PR companies when I live in New York, and here in Switzerland it’s a whole other ball game… or blog game, rather 🙂

Social Media isn’t nearly as popular/developed here as a marketing strategy, so for me right now it feels very much uphill. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to keep trying though!