He gets a lot of emails asking for design and blog help. So He decided to put together a mini how to guide on building a fashion blog. You can follow all the tips below or just pick and choose, it is most important that your blog be a representation of yourself and not just a copy of another blog you like. Make it your own!
- Pick a Template: Keep it simple, too many colors and designs can be distracting to the readers. Don't go wild on color choices, pick at most 2 colors and try and stick with them throughout the blog.
- Add Gadgets to your site: About Me, Followers, Archives, RSS Feed, Search this Blog.
- Join BlogLovin: Add Widget and counter widget to your sidebar (Join the ArmHe).
- Followers: Name your followers – Make the readers feel more attached to your blog.
- Link Exchanges: Do not go crazy with link exchanges. Even though having more might initially bring you more traffic, in the long run it will work against you in page rank and google ranking. Pick the top sites that you want to link exchange with and go with them.
- Add LinkWithin: 3 posts views is enough. This is a great way to increase hits to other pages on your sites, and encourages to read deeper into your blog.
- Pictures: Make sure your pictures are clear! Your first picture should be a good one, as it will be picked up by feeds (rss), Bloglovin and will be the “face” of that post.
Fashion Social Networks
- Join Lookbook.nu/Chictopia/Chicismo/Weardrobe: Join and post outfits, it’ll take a while to start seeing followers, but they will come. Post outfits at 2pm (EST), seems to be the best time.. Post a Lookbook widget on your blog. Do not place outfit widgets from every site you join, your sidebar will become over saturated with them, and look cluttered.
- Heart IFB: Independent Fashion Blogger Network – Join, add some people as friends, be active (FbyHe).
- Stylecaster/StyledOn: Join, Post Daily Outfits, Be an Active Member of the community.
- 20 something bloggers (30 something bloggers), Fashion Industry Network, Fashion Envy: Join, add people as friends, link your blog, join groups.
Popular Social Networks
- Join Twitter: Post a Follow me on Twitter button in sidebar, be active, tweet at people/brands, connect to all social networks, but most importantly, interact with people. Just having your twitter account update your new posts is a waste. (@Fashionbyhe).
- Create a Facebook Fan Page: Invite all your Facebook friends to become fans of you and your blog, interact with your fans, but don't overally interact. 1-3 posts a week is more then enough.. Ask your friends to invite their friends. Add a link on sidebar.
- Adsense: It is great that you want to make money, but with adsense you are not going to make a lot unless you have a lot of ads posted throughout the site. Having a lot of ads throughout the site as you start to build a readership is going to be a turnoff. Keep ads to a minimum.
- Affiliate sales: cj.com you can place ads on your website, you will only make money if a reader clicks the ad, and then makes a purchase on that ads website.
Get More followers:
- Leave comments on other blogs: It's a huge HUGE pain, but people usually go back and comment on your blog. This will be your biggest source of getting new followers.
- Get featured: Email magazines, websites, etc with an email asking them to consider you for their next feature, include a link to your website.
With these tips you should be on your way to your very own fashion/style blog.
Best of luck,