The Internet has made the world the one giant locale. While we all live in distinct cities and countries, we buy from the same international chains, read the same news sites and discuss the same pop culture events. In finding a point of differentiation and trying to make your blog stand out from the crowd, a blogger needs only to start at home.
Be it Miami or Moscow, your place of residence has a lot to offer and a lot to blog about. From local boutiques, deals, artists, festivals and events there is a wealth of material that will make your blog stand out. Covering local events and becoming a “My City blogger” helps you to generate unique content and gives you a boost with the search engines, who are crazy about local content.
1) Reach out to a local fashion icon: Is there someone in your city or town that is known for their style? Reach out to them and interview them. So many blogs cover celebrity style, what about the homegrown style icons? Get them some recognition.
2) Go to your local boutiques: Fashion starts at home and your city or town has small boutiques and designers in need of press. If you shop local, write about the great shops and styles your local stores have to offer. Tamia of the Style Sample covered her hometown of Cincinnati with a local style tour.
3) Take Street Style photos: NY, London, Paris and Milan have covered street style 10 ways from Sunday. Why not show the amazing style of people walking the streets of your neighborhood? It’s refreshing to see “real” people, ie non models/fashion people that are stylish and it’s a great way to meet new people.
4) Become local press: There are tons of events; art openings, fashion shows and parties that are looking for online media coverage. Email the organizer telling them about your blog and how you’d love to write about their event as press. But only do this if you really want to write about it, not as a free ride!
5) Blog for local sites: Your local paper has a blog? Write for them. Having already covered local fashion you can become the go-to blogger for what’s hot in your city.
Adding a local spin to your blog will not only make you stand out but provide a wealth of information and outlet for local businesses. Just because you don’t live in one of the major fashion cities, there is still a wealth of style to write about right in your backyard.
Further Reading on IFB: