6 Tips on the Importance of Proofreading

by Mordrian

During the process of writing an article for your blog, an important (if not the most important) step is proofreading. Before you publish your post, it's essential that you proofread it. Proofreading doesn't mean you simply skim over your post, proofreading means that you thoroughly read your post, word by word.
When proofreading, act as if you didn't write the post and that you're a reader reading the post for the first time. This technique will help you realize if the post is too confusing, or if your main idea is clearly written or not.

While proofreading, there are many things to keep in mind:

• Ask yourself, “Did I spell this word correctly?” Even if there's just a small question in your mind on whether or not you spelled a word correctly, I would advise you to go ahead and check the spelling anyways.
  • If you're proofreading and you come across a sentence or two that doesn't clearly state the idea your trying to get across, I would suggest that you try wording it differently. The main purpose of your post should be for the reader to understand the post easily and clearly.
  • Make sure what you're proofreading doesn't just drag along. Your post shouldn't be soporific, it should be full of life! People should want to re-read your article again, and again!
  • If you aren't already, strive to use paragraphs. Try to refrain from writing just one long block of words. Use paragraphs to group together similar ideas and thoughts.
  • Don't rely on spell check to do all the proofreading for you! Many words that you may have misspelled are probably real words themselves, so spell check won't underline them with that red squiggly line. The best spell checker is yourself!
  • Try sending the post to a trusted friend. Ask him/her to read the post and to give you his/her ideas on it. This technique works very well because different people see different things. The point of view of a writer on their article is probably very different then the point of view of a reader on the same article.

Remember, the reason you're writing your post is to transfer your opinion to your reader. The easier and clearer you write your post, the more people will want to read it. If you keep these tips in mind you'll be sure to come off as a concise and well written blogger.

Image by matt holmes .

1. Deb Van

Good tips on making your blog look and sound professional. Always use “spellcheck”. I had been spelling the word dilligent wrong for years until I used spell check for “diligent”.

2. Madeleine Gallay

especially if you’re doing a quick not to be uploaded on your iphone which can change innocent words to a complete mishmash

it’s a professional courtesy and says so much about caring and passion for what you do

we all miss mistakes, that’s life

consider whether you really want to use vernacular .. sometimes it’s amusing, more often a “kinda” or “gotta” is just annoying

playing with fonts and colors, lines and bold can change the look quickly .. and entirely professionally

yes, my mother had an unsold manuscript on incorrect grammar and harangued my elementary school days with spelling and grammar and name the verb, adverb, etc …

3. le sorelle

This is great advice! I always try to proofread, and find well-written blogs a lot more interesting and fun to read.

I hate to be a stickler, but you actually made a spelling mistake in the first sentence of the last paragraph – Keeping us bloggers on our toes, I see!

😉

4. Eli

I recommend typing it into word or a document program, spell check, then copy and paste it over into your publishing platform

5. VanessaSt

I have a question:
    do you recommend that we use slang in our posts?
    and I’ve also heard the advice of not spending too long to proofread. I understand it’s important, so how much time do you think is appropriate to proofread a post? how long did you take to proofread the “6 tips on the importance of proofreading” post?

• Mordrian

I personally wouldnt recommend usuing slang in posts because it would have the potential to give your blog a less serious and less profession look.

I think the appropriate amount of time to proofread a post is: however long it takes till the author thinks its ready for the public to read. Remember that proofreading doesnt mean change everything, it just means to tweak little things to make your post easier to read and easier to understand.

It took me around 14-16 minutes to proofread ’6 tips on the importance of proofreading’. However, i usually spend less time proofreading my usually posts on the my blog (around 7-10), i just wanted to make sure everything was perfect for IFB.

(It took me about 1 minute to proofread this comment)

• VanessaSt

Well thank you for the advice! I think I will refine the my proofreading skills 🙂

And I am new to blogging, and was torn about the slang thing, I thought that maybe people would think I was taking myself too seriously considering I’m new. But, hey, if it’s my voice I need to make sure it’s polished. Thanks for the advice 🙂

• Mordrian

It took me around 14-16 minutes to proofread ‘6 tips on the importance of proofreading’. However, i usually spend less time proofreading my usually posts on the my blog (around 7-10), i just wanted to make sure everything was perfect for IFB.

(It took me about 1 minute to proofread this comment)

6. JTwisdom

I really like sending my draft posts to my best friend to critique because he will be really honest and I need that so that’s a good tip for me that I use often.

7. Carole

Dear Mordrian, I agree with your points. But I opt for a professional Editor and Proofreader to edit and proofread my writing. Well every writer needs a good Editor as Editing can bring best out of any piece of writing.

What does you say ?