How to Organize Your Inbox

Post by Suzanne Raouf

How often do you log into your Gmail and see “Inbox (41)” or maybe its more like “Inbox (1947)”? Organization (of any kind) can be daunting, but it can be simple if you know how to utilize the tools Gmail offers. I use three features to keep my inbox organized:

Step 1: Labels

Use labels to track the messages you receive that revolve around a certain theme. In college, I had labels for all of my classes, so if I was looking for a particular email, I could use the labels to ease my search. Each label you set up acts as a folder so if you archive a message that is labeled, you can find it in that label. Simple, right?

How do you make labels? On the left hand side of your screen under your Inbox, you’ll see a drop down menu. Click the drop down and then click on “Create new label.” The next screen will take you to name the label and the option to nest under a previously existing label.

Step 2: Filters

Filters are helpful for sorting specific messages before they reach your inbox. For example, I have a filter set up so that when I get an email notification from a social network, it skips my inbox and gets sent to a specific folder. This way, these unimportant emails don’t cloud my inbox. You can set up filters by a variety of indicators including keywords, subject or sender.

How to set up filters? Simple. Just click on “Create a filter,” right next to the search bar at the top of your Gmail screen. Follow the instructions to create filters to your liking!

Step 3: Archiving

This is my favorite way to sort through a messy inbox. After I read the emails that come to my inbox, I either archive it or let it sit in my inbox. The only time I keep an email in my inbox is when it still needs attention. Whether I need to respond or it is used as a reminder to book a flight or use a Groupon, seeing the email in my inbox helps remind me what needs to be done.

Archiving is super easy. Select the email and then click archive, or press archive while the message is open.

There is no excuse to let your emails pile up, so get to it and get organizing! Did I miss anything? What are your favorite ways to keep your inbox tidy?

1. lisa

I usually do a first pass-through and delete all emails that are junk or irrelevant. Then I star all the ones that I need to read closely or reply to (press reviews that I want to read, events requiring an RSVP, personal messages, etc.). When I have a solid half hour or so, I work through the starred items and reply to each one. So far this system seems to be working. 🙂

2. Laura

I am a little TOO good at organizing my emails, I have an overboard amount of different labels, the brilliance of gmail is that it allows you to give each label it’s own pretty color, makes your inbox much brighter!

• Slow Southern Style

I’m obsessed with a clean inbox as well. I’ve got sub-labels under my labels! I check my e-mail several times a day and I’ll take myself off a mailing list if I find that I always just delete an e-mail without opening it up.

3. Lisa

Hi Suzanne,

great post. I used filtering and archiving with filters but not labels untill today.
    But i will give it a try now.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

4. hannamay

You have a great post here, your tip is very well written, and we can clearly understand..

5. hf

I have tried archiving and the emails disappear, haha! No really, I go to retrieve them from the archive and they are not there. So, I have turned to just using labels. How do you access the archived emails?

• Jules

HF – I believe once it is archived the only way you can find it is to search for it using the search bar up top. I don’t think there is a way to show all archived items. I could be wrong though, but this is how I find my archived items!

6. Kristina

I organized my hotmail account the same way some month ago, and it’s very easy and really worth the time you taking for it! Everyday life is easier with an organized inBox, trust me 🙂

7. brodie

I’m in the middle of doing a mass-organize of my inbox right now! I do the initial skim+delete, mark those as “read” that I know for certain I don’t NEED to look at, then read everything, either Starring or marking Important as I go. Stars are for potential future articles to cover, whereas Important is for correspondence I need to keep checking back on.

8. Missa

Right now, my inbox says “Gmail – Inbox (33252)” (Haha talk about e-mail hoarding) … This could take a while. …

9. Tikkitiboo + Ahka

Such a great tip – I used to look forward to checking my emails as there used to be only 10-12 each time – no the numbers are starting to hit triple figures!! Great tip!

10. yymovcom87

As the world-leading wholesale company, we supply more than 10,000 high-quality merchandise and famous brand name products, all at wholesale prices. Experience professional service and quality products today.bluelans.

11. Jessica @ Beautify My Life

Good post! I’ve also created an “unsubscribe” tag for newsletters/catalogs that I don’t want to receive anymore, but don’t have time at that moment to deal with. Then when I have a few minutes, I go through everything I’ve tagged and unsub to all of them.

12. Mishka

Labels are a 100% must and the archive feature saves so much stress. I don’t know how anyone exists on the internet productively without these.

13. Sonia

Hello,
    Here is a simple solution for backing up your mail through Beyond Inbox http://www.beyondinbox.com/ , which let you keep your email organized and inbox clean so that you can find a message when you need it. At the
    same time, you also need to make sure that you archive and backup your email to prevent the loss in situations like accidental loss of data from email servers, hacking of account, forget password, over size inbox or unpredictable scenarios.Beyond Inbox is available in two different flavors i.e. an easy User Interface and Command line interface.

You can use this tool on Windows, Linux as well as Mac OSX. Click here to download http://www.beyondinbox.com/beyondinbox-download.html

14. EnvistCit

Apple notebook batteries may be compromised and destroyed

Possible attacks incorporate which makes it inoperable by taking away the

embedded firmware, permanently dangerous it by permitting battery to

discharge fully, or as some dread, leading into a surge by

overcharging. Thankfully, extra safeguards by way of example internal fuses

need to create a surge not as probable, however Uses up states he’s

disinclined to test way as well difficult on that front.

The principle in the problem is the reality that modern day batteries in laptops like Apple’s

MacBooks create a microcontroller that positively screens the energy

diploma of battery and feeds these facts in the direction of the operating

system. Other tasks include knowing when you need to stop charging after the

notebook is turned off, and also to watch its warmth for safety factors.

Even though your password can be used to safeguard against tampering, the reality that

all batteries ship with related password implies that this rudimentary

defense is inadequate to prevent cyber-terrorist from carrying out unpleasant

techniques.

Yet another difficulty will be the prospective of inserting persistent adware and spyware into

the firmware getting an assault vector immune from classic actions such

being an operating-system reinstallation or maybe a new hard generate.

There is no proof-of-concept but, however It really is a lot more most likely

that Mac adware and spyware would make an work to damage a MacBook’s battery.

Chatting with Forbes, Melts away observed that “these batteries just are not

fashioned using the concept that men and women will wreck havoc on them.” Of his perform,

Burns states: “What I’m showing is the fact that you may rely on them to finish

some thing actually poor.” Meanwhile, Burns has think of a fix

recognized as “Caulkgun” that repairs the vulnerability by altering the

default password to some random string, though Uses up concedes this

would also stop Apple from applying additional characteristics employing a future

update.
    battery professional

where to buy a laptop battery
    cheap laptop chargers