Tips for Blogging about Fashion Shows You didn’t Attend

Though New York Fashion Week is over, we’re still in the throws of London, with Paris and Milan still to come. If you like to cover shows for your personal blog, you’ve still got a ways to go and a lot of content to sift through.

If you’re like 99 percent of fashion bloggers in the world, you aren’t actually lucky enough to attend these shows for yourself, let alone sit in the front row and photograph the looks. So, you must turn to outside sources for your images and information on looks, guests, celebrity appearances, models, etc.

I had the good fortune to attend some shows on behalf of my job this season, but most of the shows I wanted to post about on my personal blog, I didn’t attend. Fortunately for us, today’s technology and the popularity of social media allows everyone almost instant access to the latest shows.

Here are some guidelines I try to follow when blogging about fashion week:

IMAGES:

• If you didn’t attend the shows and photograph the looks yourself, you’re going to have to get them from an outside source, which is okay. I feel like I’m becoming a broken record here, but I’ll say it again anyway: You must credit your images. For example, at the end of your post, use italics or parenthesis to indicate the text is not editorial, and use a phrase like “images via” or “images from.” Do not say “courtesy of” unless the source gave you explicit permission to re-publish them.
  • When I want to post about a show, I have two sources I turn to for my images, but there are a great deal of places to find them. I use Style.com and New York magazine’s blog, The Cut.
  • Do not post every image from a show you liked. It’s total overload, and your readers can get full show coverage from larger publications. They come to you for your perspective, not your copy-and-paste skills.
  • I like to use an in-browser photo editing tool called Picnik.com to put multiple images together in a collage and place text over them to identify the designer or trend I’m highlighting.

CONTENT:

• Have a distinct perspective. Like I said above, your readers come to you for your unique take on fashion. They want to know what you liked specifically, and WHY. The digital space is inundated with fashion week coverage, and your contribution should be original, thoughtful and honest.
  • Speaking of honesty – be true to your readers. Your post is second-hand news, and you should be upfront about that. This applies both to your post and to your social media promotion of your coverage. Site your sources and include hyperlinks if you pull quotes from other places. Also, I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but for example, don’t re-tweet Joe Zee’s iphone picture of Anna Wintour from the front row of Isabel Marant like it’s your own.
  • Choose your descriptive adjectives wisely – and avoid the word cute. If you’re not sure how to describe something, read up on coverage from other publications to brush up on your vocabulary. After all, there’s a difference between sequins and paillettes.
  • Be selective with your coverage. Vogue covers every show because they’re Vogue, and they have to. Stick to designers that you love, that you admire, and that create clothing and accessories you would wear.
  • Identify trends. One way to create unique content is to sort through the shows yourself and find consistencies between designers. What colors were shown frequently? Hemlines? Patterns? This can be exhausting due to the sheer number of looks each designer shows, so I like to take notes as I go that I can refer back to later.
  • Check your spelling. To be a credible source of fashion coverage and inspiration to your readers, you should be able to correctly spell the names of designers, types of fabrics, and articles of clothing you are reporting on.

As always, the goal with having a personal blog is to create a space to share your authentic voice and taste. Stay true to your aesthetic and your access level, but don’t be afraid to use images and input from outside sources (in moderation).

One last tip that I find helpful in inspiring original thoughts and perspectives on fashion shows is to watch the live stream on the designer’s web site or Facebook page when possible. That way you get instantaneous access and a better view than those actually present in the fourth row.

Have you been posting about this season’s fashion shows? How do you like to cover your favorite designers and trends?

[Images by Nando Alvarez, edited on Picnik.com]

1. Camille

A very detailed guideline I’m looking forward to follow. Japan Fashion Week will always be one of the most interesting fashion shows I have attended.

2. FashionistaNYC

I am now in the throes of providing coverage for the shows I did attend. I agree with Taylor about NOT showing every look but creating 2 or 3 photo montages using Picnik.

The show notes are tremendously helpful if you get those from someone or even request them from the PR agency (the PR firms are listed in Modem).

I also see a number on blogs that only showcase a gallery of photos and no commentary. I can find all the photos I need/want on Style.com so that is hard to compete with.

As it was said over and over again at the IFB conference: CONTENT IS KING.

3. Plami

Great tips! I am definitely going to incorporate them in my blogging style and not only when I’m covering a fashion show. I believe these apply to every single even I want to cover 🙂

I am hosting a giveaway you might like, so check it out 🙂

XoXo
    Plami

4. Lickee

I will definately be following this advise when I start posting fashion week shows.
    I find it better to post a bit of backstage and street shots and close-ups kind of a little more eclecic as anyone can look up the shows

xx lickee
    lickee.blogspot.com

5. Gloria Mejia

everything is so true ! I really just posted some looks from the nyfw , I really don’t like posting on my blog all the fashion shows , If i wanted to check all the fashion shows I will see them in STYLE.COM OR VOGUE.IT OR ELLE.COM you know! , I think you are wasting your time uploading all the images for all the shows you did not attended ! instead of uploading all the photos from style.com you should just post 1 or 2 post from your favorite designers whit your favorite looks from the season or posting on your blog the looks that you find trendy of all the fashion shows! JUST SAYING! .
    anyways ! I think that .
    xoxo! G!

6. Roan

I’m planning to create a post dedicated to my favorite look from NYFW and although I always make sure I credit photo sources, your thoughts on content really help!

7. Minnie Nagra

A really helpful post, Taylor. I’m a new fashion blogger and was feeling disadvantaged as I cannot go to fashion events for covering. your post has given me direction.

8. pntszdinFluence

Great post. I am a super new blogger and my first post featured 10 looks from NYFW I loved and want in my closet now. And thank you for mentioning Picnik. I used it once to edit a photo but creating collages is something I’m really interested in.

9. Natasha

This is a really great and thoughtful article. As always thanks for the advice and for continuing to be a great resource for bloggers.

10. alyssa

What a great resource, thanks so much! I was reading a similar IFB post about photo credits, specifically *fair use*

To be clear, is style.com a major source for bloggers who use their images in opinion pieces? I’m struggling to find an alternative source of runway content. Any advice?

11. taylordavies

Hi Alyssa,

You can also find runway images from ELLE online, New York Magazine, Vogue… the list goes on. If you have the funds, you can also pay for images from official sources like Getty or Imaxtree. Hope that helps!

12. Mr.Raghab

nice tips..

Fashion design is an art, as well as a good profession.The trends of today’s fashion is upgrading day by day……Also career growth is incredible….

I happened to work with Kishore Mamillapalli in Delhi. Currently based in New Delhi, he actually belongs from Indore. I worked with him in the domain of fashion designing. Kishore had a great eye for details, and his combination of western and Indian styles and his way of blending them was pretty unique. The 3 years that I worked with him were the most valuable lessons that I learnt. Today though I am a renowned fashion designer I still remember my days of working with Kishore Mamillapalli.

13. Laura

Hi

So I have a quick question on this that I hope someone can answer. I would like to create a trend guide with images from SS18 fashion weeks that I can use to send to my current mailing list and protential get other people to join my list. My question is can I do this or will I get sued?

Many thanks
    Laura

• Laura Kell

I think you can do it, just be sure to credit the images and their sources.