Beauty & Function: How Steve Jobs Impacted Fashion Bloggers

The whole world is mourning the loss of Steve Jobs today. He was a visionary of the digital age, in fact, he pretty much defined it, and then redefined it, and then redefined it again.

I typed this post and sent it out to you from a MacBook. My coworkers are working from theirs too, while texting, tweeting, and instagram-ing from their iphones. I hardly go a day, let alone a few hours, without interacting with one or all of my Apple products. They have become the most prized and indispensable tools in our lives. Remember life before the ipod? I hardly do.

As fashion bloggers, we're a community that has grown from the roots that Steve Jobs planted. Without his innovation and vision, we'd hardly be the modern mix of tech-and-style-savvy individuals we are today. In honor of his passing yesterday at the age of 56, IFB recognizes lessons and ideas we can all take from the wondrous career of Steve Jobs.

10 Things Fashion Bloggers Learned From Steve Jobs

1. The physical objects that Apple produced – most especially the personal computer, the iphone and the ipad – enabled and revolutionized self-publishing.  These tools make it simple and enjoyable to create and share our visions with a community.

2. Mr. Jobs created something out of nothing. He built an empire from the ground up, and against the odds he changed everything.

3. He took a very non-traditional path to success. From dropping out of college to naming his company after a fruit when everyone else was stuck on model numbers and tech-speak – he did things his own way.

4. Not everything worked for Steve Jobs the first time around. His first Machintosh personal computer models were consumer failures. He left Apple for a period of 12 years after disagreements and a falling-out with another executive. He also threw out two iphone models before settling on a final (first) version in 2007.

5. Apple changed the way we connect with people. Features and applications on the iphone forever changed how creatively and quickly we can talk, share, text, chat, tweet…

6. His vision came before his fortune. Steve Jobs didn't begin his career with intentions to be a billionaire, he wanted to change the world with his take on technology. His increasing fortune allowed him to continue to evolve and grow his companies and investments.

7. When Mr. Jobs returned to Apple in 2000, he ended their feud with Microsoft, which allowed for the continued use of the Office software on Apple computers. He knew the importance of having mutually advantageous alliances, even among competing peers.

8. From his commencement speech at Stanford in 2005: “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else’s life.”

9. To paraphrase The New York Times, “He put stock in the notion of taste.” He took complex, innovative technology and made it elegant, simple and incredibly functional.

10. There's just nothing as chic as an Apple product in the sphere of technology. From the smoothest lines to the most gorgeous user interface, Mr. Jobs understood the importance of marrying beauty and function.

Thank you Steve Jobs, for your invaluable contributions to our world, and to the fashion blogging community.

[Photo by Nando Alvarez]

1. GRIT & GLAMOUR

Love this post, Taylor. I went from being 100% non-Apple to an Apple addict. Over the years I’ve purchased 3 iPods, 2 iPhones, an iPad2 and accessories, and will be upgrading to iPhone 4S next week and am contemplating a move to Mac.

To say that Apple revolutionized modern telecommunications and social media with its technology is a radical understatement. I’m actually terrified of what may become of Apple without Steve Jobs at the helm. May he rest in peace, and may his ingenuity and demand for perfection live on.

2. Ondo Lady

I bought my first Mac desktop in 1997 and it was a Power Mac and thus began my love affair of everything all Apple. I then upgraded to an iMac which is somewhere in my Mum’s garage. I only cheated once with a Dell laptop and instantly regretted it but since then it has been Apple all the way. I find Apple products beautiful to look at and also to use but what stands out is their simplicity.

3. Desadrian

Jobs was an more than inspiration. To mimic just a shadow of his success would be more than enough for me. always remember steve jobs.

4. Emmy

Rarely has it happened that a famous person’s death would affect me, but the loss of Steve Jobs was truly heart-breaking. He was a ground-breaker in so many levels, and it’s really fitting to describe him as the Thomas Edison of our time. RIP, Steve.

5. Bella Q

Once you’ve tasted Mac you’ll never go back.

I one a luddite an now a hard-core Mac fan. I am inspired by not only the technological and marketing innovations of Jobs, but on his words. I keep listening to his 2005 Stanford commencement speech and am floored by the personal wisdom he packed in 15 short minutes.
    RIP Mr. Jobs. And thanks for thinking different.

6. Joy

I’ve been a Mac fan for 10 years now. Nailing form and function was Steve Jobs’ secret. I loved that he would occasionally ring random people (usually techies) who are complaining about something product-related. He’d pick up the phone and call these guys (wherever they are in the world) and these people are blown away to find out they’re actually talking to Steve himself, trying to understand what their problem is.

To the man who put the world into our palms, you’ll be missed but not forgotten.

7. Rachel

I think every fashion blogger I know uses a Mac. Not too surprising with all their capabilities. What a difference Steve Jobs made for us all.

8. Bun Bun Makeup Tips

I learnt about his passing through the facebook app on my iPhone. And I’m reading this on my iMac. Thank you Steve Jobs. You made the world a better place.

9. John

Steve Jobs defined digital culture. He shaped computers and electronic devices from the merely utilitarian to the astonishingly artful to the sublimely useful. More than a CEO, more than a businessman, he was a visionary and unnervingly so. Throughout the years, many lauded his style while at the same time mocked his uncanny “reality distortion field.” It certainly made for good drama, well beyond the important but mundane discussions of gigahertz and drive speeds and power supplies. Under his watchful eyes, silicon and wires and plastic and glass moved from being a calculator to an artful experience. The idea of Industrial Art and Design and User Experience took hold and became the way of building “good stuff.” At times messianic and always charismatic, he shifted technological tides that brought us Pixar, NeXT, along with Macs, Powerbooks, iPods, iPads, iPhones. iMiss him already.

There will never be another. Somewhere, a deity realized that their operating system and computing network needed upgrading. So they reached down and told Steve it was time. I can imagine a bright light approaching him with a similar question he asked John Sculley all those years ago. “Do you want to stay here for the rest of your life or come with me and change the universe?”

I am looking forward to what Steve is cooking up in his next position. Perhaps a newer, cooler UI (Universe Interface)? A more stylish and easier-to-use reality? Something that continually champions the user over the task? Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be insanely great.

10. Ely V

This is a great and very touching article about an amazing individual that made such an impact in what most are now calling a short life at only 55.