Your Online Persona: Are You Regina or Cher?

Regina: Oh my God, I love your skirt! Where did you get it?

Lea Edwards: It was my mom's in the '80s.

Regina: Vintage, so adorable.

Lea Edwards: Thanks! (Lea walks away)

Regina: That is the ugliest f-ing skirt I've ever seen.

~ Mean Girls, 2004

We all know there are perks to being the nice or mean girl in life, correct? Well, this applies to pretty much everything. Whether you’re in high school, a relationship, or even blogging, it’s hard to pick which direction to go in. When I say mean, I don’t mean outright mean… I mean like Regina George from Mean Girls vs Cher Horowitz from Clueless.

If you watched both of these classic chick flicks (which every girl should!) you would know exactly what I’m talking about. Both of these ladies were at the top of their game. They both held the highest popularity among their peers with their social circle and this was no secret. What’s the difference between the two? Cher was a sweet girl who looked for the greater good in life and was always smiling and trying to be positive. Regina George was a witch and a  mean girl! Yet they were both successful at playing their roles. This got me to thinking what separates the Reginas and the Chers in the blogging world.

Regina George:

“She thinks she's gonna have a party and not invite me? Who does she think she is?

• Intimidating/unapproachable: Some bloggers aren’t the easiest people to go up to, and they don’t try to be either. They show up somewhere, smile a bit, and walk away… All in a days work.
  • Never answer people: You can endlessly try to contact them through multiple social media outlets asking simple questions and they won’t answer. They might be be too cool?
  • Willing to sacrifice relationships and friendships for her better gain: Yeah I’ve listened to Snoop Dog in my day, he told me it’s a dog eat dog world. When you become friends with a blogger…always ask yourself, are we REALLY friends?  This is important because Regina George will get the most she can out of you and move on.
  • Only looks out for herself: She knows who is #1 is and believe me, she doesn’t EVER forget.
  • Thinks about appearance first: “Look at me, I have all this great gear…. Who needs actual content?”  Perhaps your readers would like to see some? Just a thought.

Cher Horowitz:

“Cher's main thrill in life is a makeover, it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.”

• Friendly: Cher as opposed to Georgina was a good girl. She talked to everyone in school, even the not so popular kids. She wasn’t perfect but she went out of her way for individuals. The same way some bloggers are so outgoing and will stop for everyone and anyone…it’s endearing.
  • Hard working: This girl was a hustler. When she had a goal in mind she would negotiate until it was achieved. She never gave up. This is a great example for an aspiring professional blogger.
  • Tries to be smart: She might have not been the brightest girl, but she tried and she was rather clever. She never limited herself and she kept herself busy and productive.
  • Has good values: Some people aren’t that great at differentiating right from wrong. Cher always thought about her decisions. It might have taken her a while to come around, but she always landed on her feet.
  • Likes to help others: I think Cher would be the type of blogger to actually answer back reader emails asking for advice or questions. We all understand we get swamped with work and sometimes it won’t be an immediate reply but she would try. She really just seems like the type. I’m pretty positive.

I’m going to make an important statement right now so listen up:

By writing this, I am not bashing the Reginas of the blogosphere. If it works, more power to you. As I mentioned prior, they were both still the most popular girls anyway. I am simply trying to point out that this is the truth. Like every industry, you have your nice and mean girls.

I believe if you are trying to be a professional blogger, you should decide which one you think you’re going to identify with. I’ve seen a lot of Chers transform into Reginas and vice-versa. It’s an interesting concept to think about.

Sometimes I’m not even sure If I’m fully one or the other speaking truthfully. I have qualities from both. I’d like to think I’m more nice than mean, however. I’ll think about it.

Who do you identify with? Regina or Cher? C’mon now be honest!

Photos via here and here. Collaged by me.

Related Posts

About The Author

1. MJ

Wow this is really good and I love this analogy. I try to be a Cher most of the time and recruit my friends in real life to keep me in check and make sure I don’t have any Regina tendencies.

But what I will say is that if your blogging as a business, you may have to let Regina out from time to time. There is such a thing as helping people out too much to the point where it hinders yourself – meaning you put more energy into others while sacrificing yourself.

I don’t think you have to be a meanie but you do have to be able to deal with the Reginas in the world! Business is business and you have to have a thick skin – especially in fashion.

2. Leila

Great advice! I like to think of myself as Cher, not just in blogging but in life as well. Always happy to lend a hand whenever I can!

Peace.

3. Hallie

You’re definitely a Cher, Nubia. This is such a great article – I’ve never been able to articulate the different “types” of bloggers, so-to-speak, but you’ve done an awesome job.

I like to think I’m a Cher, too, but I’m guilty for not allowing for ample time to comment on other people’s blogs/respond to e-mails timely. Note to self: HUSTLE.

-Hallie 🙂

4. Sagerdp

I just Loveeee Love this Article! I believe I’m 100% Cher, I just admire her when I was a kid in the 90’s!
    She can be superficial sometimes and look stupid but her close friends know her sweet soul.
    I’ve met a couple of Regina’s in the Fashion World and it’s been a total dissapointment!
    Can you check my blog and give me some suggestions so I can improve my content

XOXO
    Sager

5. Meg

**Note to IFB please delete my first comment, I dont know why it posted with my first AND last name 🙁

Im going to have to agree with MC above, sometimes you do have to let the Regina out to survive in this fashion game. Ive been a designer for almost 10 years; and I must say when I started I was definitely CHER, I had to learn to be Regina…but only when necessary 🙂

Thanks for this fun article!

6. Louise LeMans

Great article — and I’m not just saying that to be a Cher. 🙂

I can see how if someone got to the point where they were being asked to do a lot of things and didn’t know how to say no on occasion, one might employ some Regina-like qualities to not feel so overwhelmed…at least I see myself that way. I tend to do things for friends, and give until I start to get burnt out and mad about it…it’s a bad scene, especially because I got myself in that situation.

I blog because I want to, but I definitely don’t want it to turn me into someone I’m not. I make a concerted effort to be outgoing and friendly, but keep things balanced so I don’t burn out.

7. Heather Fonseca

I adored Cher, really I did. I’ve known girls like Cher in my day (literally I grew up in L.A. and had friends who went to Beverly Hills High) and I have had “friends” like Regina. The girls like Cher grew up, got married, and have three kids and a handsome husband and an interesting career. The girl that I knew who was like Regina is single and, from photos I’ve seen on line, aging badly. Serves her right! Well, she does have a pretty amazing career though…

I’d much rather be a Cher, but there’s a little Regina in me too.

8. Shasie

I like this post! I’ve definitely noticed that some of the really popular bloggers aren’t as personal, and that may be that they just have too many people to respond to. So after awhile I stop commenting on their blogs altogether and just look at them. I like interaction, and if I don’t get it I usually stop trying. I definitely think I’m more Cher!

9. Laura

I’m definitely a Cher, I feel so blessed everytime I get an email/tweet/facebook message from a reader that I would feel completely awful not to respond! So far I’ve been lucky and all my blogger friends are definitely Cher’s as well 😀

10. Camille

It’s hard to admit that I’m a Regina of a very blogger social retard kind of way. Maybe I’m just shy.

Clueless is so classic. Cher is the best kind of blogger out there.

11. Slow Southern Style

I’ll go on record and say that I’ve never seen either of those movies so I’m not entirely sure what the characters are like.

“When you become friends with a blogger…always ask yourself, are we REALLY friends? This is important because Regina George will get the most she can out of you and move on.”

There are definitely a handful of bloggers that I question their motives anytime we interact, which sucks really. I think it’s a good practice to remain friendly with them but keep tight lipped and cautious. I have some great, supportive blog friends that realize everyone has room in the sandbox to play so I turn my attention towards nurturing those relationships and try my best not to dwell on mixed intentions.

12. Ches

I don’t think I am so much a Regina, but I have had tendencies to ignore. It was more being aloof than anything!

I am becoming more of a Cher… I am commenting more on other blogs, and talking to/making friends on Twitter! I am loving the community!

And, I am helping where I can 🙂

13. Em

Great post, I had never thought about my style as either Regina or Cher. I have definitely come across both types of bloggers, and you got them down exactly!

I think I’d consider myself to be more of a Cher. I’m very new to this whole blogging world, and I think being positive is the best place to start!

14. Ana

I like the Chers of the blogosphere much, much more 🙂 .

I like to see some interaction with the readers – that’s what makes me come back, even if the content is just okay.

No interaction with the readers, ever (and I think that the readers are a very important part of any public blog) – I’ll visit once a month if, and only if, the content is stellar.

15. Jackie

Love this post and your analogy on this subject! I’m a new Blogger and I am sure that I’m a Cher! and will remain a Cher. Blogging is all about networking. Being Cher will help grow more Genuine, positive friendships.

I Love getting comments, and replies on twitter, and I always respond. whats the point of being on Social Media if I’m going to be a Regina and Non Social?

Very Nice Article! Thanks for sharing 🙂

16. laura

This is such a smart article. I often tweet said Reginas with no reply, they don’t answer emails etc. I know some of them are busy.
    On the other hand the Chers of this world may take longer to get noticed but it is worth it in the end knowing you went about it in an honourable way.