Regina: Oh my God, I love your skirt! Where did you get it?
Lea Edwards: It was my mom's in the '80s.
Regina: Vintage, so adorable.
Lea Edwards: Thanks! (Lea walks away)
Regina: That is the ugliest f-ing skirt I've ever seen.
~ Mean Girls, 2004
We all know there are perks to being the nice or mean girl in life, correct? Well, this applies to pretty much everything. Whether you’re in high school, a relationship, or even blogging, it’s hard to pick which direction to go in. When I say mean, I don’t mean outright mean… I mean like Regina George from Mean Girls vs Cher Horowitz from Clueless.
If you watched both of these classic chick flicks (which every girl should!) you would know exactly what I’m talking about. Both of these ladies were at the top of their game. They both held the highest popularity among their peers with their social circle and this was no secret. What’s the difference between the two? Cher was a sweet girl who looked for the greater good in life and was always smiling and trying to be positive. Regina George was a witch and a mean girl! Yet they were both successful at playing their roles. This got me to thinking what separates the Reginas and the Chers in the blogging world.
“She thinks she's gonna have a party and not invite me? Who does she think she is?
- Intimidating/unapproachable: Some bloggers aren’t the easiest people to go up to, and they don’t try to be either. They show up somewhere, smile a bit, and walk away… All in a days work.
- Never answer people: You can endlessly try to contact them through multiple social media outlets asking simple questions and they won’t answer. They might be be too cool?
- Willing to sacrifice relationships and friendships for her better gain: Yeah I’ve listened to Snoop Dog in my day, he told me it’s a dog eat dog world. When you become friends with a blogger…always ask yourself, are we REALLY friends? This is important because Regina George will get the most she can out of you and move on.
- Only looks out for herself: She knows who is #1 is and believe me, she doesn’t EVER forget.
- Thinks about appearance first: “Look at me, I have all this great gear…. Who needs actual content?” Perhaps your readers would like to see some? Just a thought.
“Cher's main thrill in life is a makeover, it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.”
- Friendly: Cher as opposed to Georgina was a good girl. She talked to everyone in school, even the not so popular kids. She wasn’t perfect but she went out of her way for individuals. The same way some bloggers are so outgoing and will stop for everyone and anyone…it’s endearing.
- Hard working: This girl was a hustler. When she had a goal in mind she would negotiate until it was achieved. She never gave up. This is a great example for an aspiring professional blogger.
- Tries to be smart: She might have not been the brightest girl, but she tried and she was rather clever. She never limited herself and she kept herself busy and productive.
- Has good values: Some people aren’t that great at differentiating right from wrong. Cher always thought about her decisions. It might have taken her a while to come around, but she always landed on her feet.
- Likes to help others: I think Cher would be the type of blogger to actually answer back reader emails asking for advice or questions. We all understand we get swamped with work and sometimes it won’t be an immediate reply but she would try. She really just seems like the type. I’m pretty positive.
I’m going to make an important statement right now so listen up:
By writing this, I am not bashing the Reginas of the blogosphere. If it works, more power to you. As I mentioned prior, they were both still the most popular girls anyway. I am simply trying to point out that this is the truth. Like every industry, you have your nice and mean girls.
I believe if you are trying to be a professional blogger, you should decide which one you think you’re going to identify with. I’ve seen a lot of Chers transform into Reginas and vice-versa. It’s an interesting concept to think about.
Sometimes I’m not even sure If I’m fully one or the other speaking truthfully. I have qualities from both. I’d like to think I’m more nice than mean, however. I’ll think about it.
Who do you identify with? Regina or Cher? C’mon now be honest!