By Ceri Heathcote of Style Eyes Ethical Fashion Blog
Many people start new blogs every week but a much smaller number continue to post regularly. The initial excitement of writing your own fashion blog can wear off after a few months or a few years. As with life in general, we all have our ups and downs with blogging and have times when it feels much harder to motivate yourself.
I have been writing my own personal style blog for nearly four years and for much of this time have also been writing as a professional fashion blogger for various different companies. I would like to share with you a few of my ideas on how maintain your blogging mojo and stay motivated to continue writing and growing your blog.
10 Tips For Maintaining Your Blog Mojo
1. Pace Yourself – you should consider your blog-life balance. If your blog completely takes over your life then, it will reflect in your posts. You need to get out and about, spend time with family and friends and also get enough rest to be a happy and productive blogger.
2. Re-evaluate your blogging goals – Do your original goals still apply and do they fit with your overall life plan, values and beliefs? If not then now is a good time to re define them.
3. Make time to regularly review, refocus and plan – decide what you need to do and write yourself an action plan. Writing things down often helps to get them done.
4. Think Big – take some to day dream about your blog. In a perfect world, imagine exactly how your blog would be? How would it look? What sort of response would you get from those reading it? And how would you feel about it? Thinking about what you can achieve with your blog is likely to make you much more motivated. Now you can start to work towards your dream blog.
5. Brainstorm – scribble down everything that you can possibly think of to write about or do for your blog no matter how ridiculous or absurd it might seem. Try and think outside the box of unusual things that you could write about or do to promote your blog. Once you have spent 10 minutes or so doing this, you can begin to work through and refine the list into a more workable action plan.
6. Develop your skills – it is difficult to get bored when you are learning something new. Aim to continuously develop yourself and your blog. You could try enrolling for a writing, styling or photography course at a local college. You can also find lots of courses online or if you prefer set yourself a task or challenge to learn how to do something new each week using free resources on the internet.
7. Interact –interaction is one of the key parts of blogging for many people. Don’t forget to interact with your followers and other like-minded people through social networks, forums and IFB. This is a great way to get inspired.
8. Do something different every now and then – they say a change is as good as a rest. It can be anything from turning your blog posts into stories or videos or writing your posts in a different way.
9. Keep a notebook – a great idea will usually pop into your head when you least expect it. When you are trying to think of something to write about it can be much more difficult and the dreaded writers block can set in. Tumblr , Instagram and pinterest are all useful tools for discovering and recording new inspiration.
10. Blog about what you love – Forget what everyone else is doing and concentrate on the aspects of fashion and style that you really love and that interest you the most. For example, If going to and reporting on all of the shows during fashion week exhausts you, is it absolutely necessary that you go? Perhaps you could cover fashion week from a different angle. By doing this not only will you feel more motivated to blog but you will also create something unique that is driven by passion.
How do you maintain your mojo, baby?