Do you ever think that all the time you spend on the internet is making you a little, cuckoo? Sometimes these crazy thoughts come into my head and I'm like, “Really, Taylor? You think that's a thing? That's not a thing.” However, I occassionally just let these crazy notions plant roots and grow in my brain, just because I think the results might be interesting. My latest realization? I can glean a lot of lessons about blogging from the life, times and tunes of one miss Jennifer Lopez.
That's right, J. Lo has had an insanely diva-licious life in the spotlight, from relationships to daring dresses to musical hit after hit. Beyond the fact that we can all benefit from channeling our inner caliente diva every now-and-then, we can pick up some great blog-worthy lessons from Ms. Lopez. She's a singing, dancing, acting and TV-hosting powerhouse with a fragrance line to boot. Through personal drama, tabloid covers and a lot of jumpsuits, she's managed to stay relevant and fabulous.
7 Things I learned About Blogging From Jennifer Lopez:
1. “Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got, I'm still Jenny From The Block”. My blog has changed a lot since my Seattle days. Better photography, better outfits, better content. No matter how much New York City infiltrates my life, my taste and my blog, I will always be a Northwest girl who loves to hike, fish & swim in freshwater lakes. Oh, and wear Patagonia fleeces.
2. My love don't cost a thing. Yes it's nice to be gifted product or be sponsored on your blog, but the bottom line is that I'll always talk about the brands and clothes that I love on my blog, whether or not they pay me for it. Is it basically free advertising for these companies? I guess so. More than that though it's a real representation of my style.
3. People will relate to the real you. Jennifer Lopez is a Diva with a capital D. Am I right? She has never apologized for this, she is always decked out in her finery and bling, low cut dresses, thigh-high slits and mind-blowingly gorgeous hair. Is she over the top? Sure. But has she always been this way? You bet. And we love her for it. Don't hide who you are for the sake of your blog. Own your style, own your personality, and do it well.
4. In the end, if you sell out, people will notice. Fiat commecials? Really? Ugh, that's so not Diva. We all know that J. Lo probably doesn't drive a Fiat, and it's obvious, even if she's driving one through her old stomping grounds (The Bronx). In the same way, your readers will know if you start promoting brands or retailers on your blog that so aren't your style. Sure the money might be great, but your followers will know in a heartbeat if you're faking it just to “make it” as a blogger.
5. If you've got the chops, diversify. Remember Selena? That movie was so good, and she was so good in it. How about her fragrences and Gucci ads? Don't be afraid to use your other star qualities to leverage your blog. If you model, if you're crafty, if you're great on camera, if you moonlight as a professional stylist – whatever. Share your multi-talented self across every platform! [We're just not going to talk about Enough or Gigli, okay?]
6. You've gotta change with the times. J Lo's music has evolved from the days of On The Six. At the time it was what we all wanted to hear. Remember Waiting For Tonight? Remember when she dated P. Diddy? And Ben Affleck? Her music has evolved with the years, as has her taste in men. She always stays true to her roots but keeps it current. In the same way, I like to follow trends and update my style, but always maintain my sense of self as much as I can.
7. Don't hate – colaborate. Jenny From the Block has had some of her greatest hits when she's collaborated with other artists. (Personal favorite? The classic, I'm Real, with Ja Rule.) One of the best things about fashion blogging is this wonderful community we've created for ourselves. I love getting together with other bloggers to take photos, cover events, or grab a meal – because it's fun, it benefits everyone and it beats hanging out by yourself.
Do you find blogging inspirations in the activities and songs of mega-celebrities? Do you take life lessons from their missteps? Who inspires you to let your inner fashion blogging diva shine?