Should You Be Shooting Street Style On Your Personal Blog?

One of the reasons I love style blogs so much is because of the ripple effect they have had on the fashion industry. We now get style inspiration from so many more places. And from such varying points of view! Remember before the internet was what it is today, and basically our only source of fashion news and inspiration was print magazines? Don't get me wrong – I love the glossies, and will always appreciate flipping through their pages for high-concept editorial spreads and articles. But after NYFW (and especially after the whole month of fashion weeks is over), I head to my favorite blogs to get a round up of all the best style seen off the runways. In many ways, their photos influence both how we dress, and how magazines shoot and style their content as well.

To get my fashion fix, I like to mix up my browsing with some personal style blogs and some street style blogs. From street style blogs I get a view of what editors, models and industry fashionalities are wearing, as well as a pulse on trends in different cities around the world.

I've often considered shooting more street style for my personal blog, but haven't given it quite enough energy yet. However, I would like to propose the idea to you. Why don't you shoot street style in your city or town for your blog? Take a break from being in front of the lens and get behind it. Try a street style post once a week like we do on Eat, Sleep, Denim. See how it goes, ask your readers for feedback. You may find you have a knack for it – and open your site up to a whole new audience.

Here's 3 Reasons Why:

1. It's easy. Listen, if you have time to take pictures of yourself, you've got time to take pictures of others.  And this way, you don't need to use the self-timer! (Hey, not all of us have friends and boyfriends on hand all the time to take our photos – including me!) You also don't (I repeat: DO NOT) need a fancy DSLR camera to get a great street style photo. For a full body shot, just make sure that you can see your subject's shoes and hair in the viewfinder or on the screen. (Hot tip: Hold the camera vertically, rather than horizontally). For a detail shot with a point-and-shoot, try using the camera's “macro” setting (or the icon that looks like a flower). As long as you're in focus and get everything you want in the shot – you can edit it later on your computer.

2. It's great for traffic. As much as you like seeing your photo on your blog, other people will like seeing theirs. People are vain, and people love to show other people pictures of themselves on the internet. Ripple effect. When you take someone's picture, tell them what it's for, and if you have one – give them a business card. Don't let them walk away without telling them exactly how to find their photo.  In the fall I went to steeple chase horse race out in New Jersey known as The Hunt, and took photos of people I met throughout the day. The post was picked up by my ad network as well as The Huffington Post style page and my traffic and number of followers increased dramatically. If you don't have a network – shop your post around! Send it to your local paper or online news sites that are specialized to where you live.

3. You can do it anywhere. There are stylish people everywhere – in every corner of this big, beautiful planet. Set aside 2 hours on a Saturday to get out of the house. Do whatever you want. Run errands, shop at the mall, visit a park, take in a museum. Just keep your trusty camera in hand, and keep your eyes peeled for great style.

A Few Tips For Getting The Shot:

1. Be polite. One of the hardest things about shooting street style is being too shy to approach someone for the photo. Try the intoduction tips from my networking post if you're nervous. Most people will be totally flattered and accommodating – I promise!

2. Focus, try a few angles and avoid using the flash. With a point-and-shoot or a DSLR, hold the button half-way down to focus, then take the shot. With your phone (yes, you can take great, blog-worthy shots on your phone) tap the screen to focus. Also, don't be afraid to move around a bit. Take more than one picture, focusing on different details or angles. The flash will probably blow-out the details and colors in a good street style photo, so try to shoot in good, natural light. Don't be afraid to ask your subject to step outside or move around a little.

3. Get in close. My favorite street style shots are usually of just a specific detail of someone's look – whether it's shoes, a bag or amazing jewelry. Don't be afraid to really get close to get a great shot.

IFB's favorite Street Style Blogs:

So get out there and start snapping! If you already shoot street style for your blog, leave a link in the comments to share with us and the rest of the IFB community!

[Photo via Eat, Sleep, Denim.]

1. fashionfoodfeminism

My friends and I were just talking about doing this with our blog! We are each in 3 different locations so we wanted to show whats going on across the country.

2. GUDINO

Actually I recently thought that I should try to capture something from the streetstyle for my blog. This article took away my very last hesitations. Thank you! 🙂

3. Jyoti (Style-Delights)

Great article! I actually thought of doing it after moving to NY, but have yet to muster courage to walk up to people on the street to ask for a picture!! But now with new knowledge (business card and a professional attitude), I may actually do it soon!!
    Thanks for the post Taylor! You are really cool!:-)
    -Jyoti

4. Ashley

I love this post! You covered so many great points here that I’m inspired to start shooting some street style myself 😀

5. Donna

Interesting post! I’ve wanted to do street style, but I live in a rural area and thought I’d need to go to an event in the city in order to find good style. Your post made me aware that I could look at malls, grocery stores, and other ordinary places to find it. You’ve inspired me!
    Donna

6. Natalia

That’s a great idea! I definitely will take street style pictures for my blog. But it’s true that it is difficult to overcome the shyness. Last time I managed to ask a woman if I could take her picture, she freaked out and ran away. Ha. But I think she didn’t speak my language and didn’t understand what I wanted from her. (I was sweet and polite, I swear! 🙂 )

7. Shayne Renee

This gave me so much to think about! I feel inspired to try it. Especially now that I have a new camera (partly based on your recommendation). I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

On a side note, I would love to see a post about blogger business cards. Especially if I am going to do street style posts. I would like something to hand them to direct them toward my site.

Thanks again!!

8. The Streetstyled

I have been running a street style blog for some time now and enjoy it.
    Street style photography has indeed taken a huge leap in the past year, with many photographers and bloggers showing what other people wear around the world.
    Viewers want to see the real deal instead of looking at magazines editorials.

9. S

Interesting perspective. In the future could you do a post on ad networks? Because I have no idea what that means. All that comes to mind is adsense and manifestnow (fashion toast). What are the other options??

10. TheStyleKaleidoscope

This post has a great point – street style shots guarantee you visitors to your blog, as everyone likes to show people they have been spotted. My blog is street style from Birmingham UK and I’ve recently had exposure in The Guardian newspaper, which ran an article about street style blogging. Give it a go, as you never know, you might want to turn your blog into a street style one!

11. ICFashionChic

I have always wanted to do street style but every time I see something inspiring, my reflexes aren’t quick enough and just that quickly, it’s gone. Womp Womp 🙁

I do more editorial stuff: ICFashionChic.tumblr.com

12. Cheryl from BusinessChic

As a business fashion streetstyle photographer (I take photos of what stylish folks are wearing to work), I’ve just started sharing my photos of my own personal style and have found it interesting that my personal style posts get the most comments and just this week- media attention!

So maybe the key is also variety? Great tips for taking streetstyle shots though 😉

13. Jaspe

I mainly started doing this after PFW, there was just SO much inspiration everywhere, how could I not ??? So I guess I’ll just keep it as a regular item ;D

Bisous,

J

14. karen

This is a great motivation. I have been considering for a while now whether or not to do this on my own blog, as I already include stuff on my own personal style shoots and work projects, exhibitions and stuff, and thought it would be wayyyy to much information for one blog to hold. But, I think I might just give it a go, besides I was one asked for a picture of myself in the street by Glamour and I was completely flattered, so I guess if it worked on me?!

15. HighThai

This is super helpful! I always feel awkward getting really close to people for detail shots, but I guess I’ll just go for it!

16. Camilla Jerath

You will find lots of fabulous street style photos and inspiration on all the Secret d’Or platforms! Tumblr (www.secretdor.tumblr.com) Instagram (secretdor) Facebook (Secretdorofficial) Twitter (secret_dor) etc. We love the opportunity to attend any events whereby we can spot fresh, innovative and chic looks. We hope you enjoy the shots!