One of the things people ask when you say you are a “professional blogger” is “How do you make money from that?” It's a good question because more often than not, people think advertising is the main way bloggers make a living. Perhaps highly trafficked blogs are able to make a living from banner ads, but the real money comes in from diversifying your income streams. Diversifying your income streams means, that you are using more than one way to monetize your blog. This is a really great way to ensure income while the web evolves, and the possibilities are endless. Here we've thought of 20 ways to make money from your blog and so not only will you be able to become a professional, you'll be able to grow your business along with your blog.
20 Ways To Make Money From Your Blog
- Sell Your Own Ads– When your traffic is growing and also when you have a very niche audience, selling your own ads is a really great way to go. IFB put together a guide for selling your own ads, which has industry standards and ways to calculate how much you should charge.
- Join an Ad Network- Joining an Ad Network would really be more for bloggers who don't want to manage their own ads sales. Ad Networks can be very lucrative for bloggers with a lot of traffic and who reach a wide audience.
- Use Affiliate Marketing in Your Post- Affiliates take a lot of patience to get started, but have the potential to be a great deal more lucrative than banner ads. Check out IFB's Fashion Traffic Affiliate School for tips on using affiliates.
- Use Affiliates in Your Social Media Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, etc – One of the tips for expanding your affiliate reach is to post in Pinterest, that way your affiliate links have a way to ‘go viral'
- Sell a Sponsored Post– Selling sponsored posts would be great for developing content for both the brand and your readers. At IFB we suggest using the “Post brought to you by: _____” and tailoring the content to be a win-win for everyone!
- Become a Brand Ambassador- If you love a brand and want to be their brand ambassador, you can package sponsorship opportunities, like incorporating ads or [disclosed] links into your posts, reaching out to your community on behalf of a brand. Doing a special campaign on twitter using branded hastags. The possibilities are endless!
- Host a branded Twitter Party-A twitter party is an online event at a specific time with a specific hashtag so people can follow. IFB did one for the Oscars and over 1000 bloggers participated. You can try it for your blog and get a brand involved!
- Sell an eBook– ProBlogger has been quite successful with his eBooks, I know I've shelled out $30 for an eBook. If you got juicy information to share, then you probably the beginnings of a successful eBook.
- Self Publish Your Own Book– Amazon has great tools for self-publishing, you don't have to wait for a book deal to get your book started!
- Sell subscriptions to your blog– Selling subscriptions really works for companies that have highly important and useful information, WWD, Stylesight, are to name a few. If your blog has regularly updated niche information that takes a lot of time and resources to compile, selling subscriptions might be right for you.
- Open a Shop From Your Blog– After selling ads, this was the first thing I did to monetize, opening up a vintage shop. This in itself takes a lot of time and dedication but for some people has been the beginnings of a whole new career path.
- Sell Ad Space on Your Videos- Are you a video wiz? The market for pre-roll ads have really taken off, which means it could be a great time to start selling your own ads instead of relying on YouTube's ad program.
- Make a Branded Video- Maybe your ad space is fine enough, but you can brand a video like you would a sponsored post, curate great content that would be useful for your viewers as well as the brand.
- Host an event and sell branded opportunities– The IFB Conference is one example of this, where we host an event, and sell branded opportunities (though all our proceeds go back to the IFB's development, so we can stay self-funded). If you have an event where you know a lot of bloggers will be, it might be a great opportunity to extend this event to brands.
- Host a Branded Event– Here you can put together a branded event and invite your community or your readers.
- Host a Branded Giveaway on Your Blog– If you've had great response from your giveaways, then maybe you can step it up and offer a brand a more robust package for a giveaway, the sky's the limit!
- Teach a Class from Your Blog- You can do this either on your blog and sell subscriptions to it, or you can do it in real life. Whether it be how to buy vintage, or how to be a social media superstar, your topics can only be limited by your imagination.
- Host a Branded Giveaway on Your Pinterest or Instagram– There are loads of great ways to extend your giveaways to other social media outlets, right now Pinterest and Instagram are super hot, and if you can think of a way to expand a brands presence on those platforms it's particularly valuable.
- Sell services from your blog– Are you a photographer? A stylist? A writer? Can you consult brands about their own social media strategies? You can use your blog as home base for your budding business.
- Use your Blog as a Portfolio to get other jobs- Are you looking to make a career change but don't have experience? Well, these days you don't have to wait to get hired to get experience, you can create a portfolio with your blog which will get you that job you've always wanted.
This was all I could think of for now, but I'm sure there is a multitude of other ways to monetize your blog! What are some of the ways you monetize? Do share!
Image by Bhumika.B