IFB Poll: Pinning For A Profit?

Unless you've been living under a digital rock lately, you're probably aware that Pinterest is pretty much the hottest social sharing site on the internet these days. Mashable announced in February that it drives more traffic than Google+, YouTube and LinkedIn combined, and a recent study by sharing tool Shareaholic recently concluded that Pinterest even drives more referral traffic than perennial favorite, Twitter.

Now that's all well-and-good, and over here at IFB we're excited that there's a new game in town on the social media scene – especially such a pretty one – but there's something even more interesting happening than referral traffic. We've posted about how to maximize your Pinterest account on IFB before (and you can follow us here), but never in the context of monetization. Fashionista recently posted this fascinating (and rather in-depth) look at Pinterest users who get paid to pin.

There are three primary ways that bloggers and “professional pinners” are making a profit. First, by accepting payment to pin a product or products on one of their boards; second, by being hired to pin for a brand; and third, by linking out to your personal affiliate network products.

So what does all this mean? Should we all be pitching for pins and trying to make a buck from this rapidly growing image-sharing site? We have mixed feelings, and why we're curious to know what our community thinks. On one hand, we encourage bloggers to be their own businesses and market their skills and reach to make money. But at what point does paid Pinterest content compromise the integrity of the site? What about your integrity? Should pinners disclose if they've been paid? And what about pinning images and links from networks like RewardStyle? Is it transparent or sneaky?

Weigh in with our poll and leave your thoughts in the comments!

[poll id=”8″]

1. Hayley

I posted no on this poll, but I think it depends really. How does the pinner disclose that they are being paid for it? Or how do they disclose that something is an affiliate link?

2. Kieran Murphy

Pinterest is just fab. I’ve just been adding my blog link to my pins and the amount of referral traffic I get from them is insane

3. alicatstrut

I voted yes but I haven’t read the updated TOS and do question how Pinterest can be expected to make money and be solvent if the site lets it continue. (So I’d be concerned that any referral links I used might be changed to benefit Pinterest.)

4. Kate

I think pinning things using rewardstyle links is completely fine, and doesn’t compromise integrity. We’re already doing it on our blogs and twitter, and the majority of us still only link to things we’d be linking to anyway, so it hasn’t changed my blog or twitter content, and would not change my pinterest content either. Also, it shows that the pin was posted using rewardstyle (when you hover over the image), so it’s not sneaky at all! I’ve never been offered to be paid for pinning a product by a company, and while I think it has the potential to compromise integrity, as long as pinners only agree to post items they would want to post regardless of payment, I think it’s completely fine.

5. Katie

I voted no, but honestly I think it depends:

If you’re getting paid to pin something on your board, then I think that compromises your integrity. Honestly, I think things like twitter/facebook/pinterest should stay *personal* as in, the things you post there are things you *decide* to post and which you are not receiving compensation for.

But if you’re paid by a company to manage their pin boards than I see no problem with that – no different than the companies that are on twitter or facebook. 🙂

6. Célèste

If you’ve being paid to pin individual products, I think the disclosure should be in the description of the pin itself, not just on your profile page. After all, many people will come across your pin and never even see you profile page.

If you were posting a sponsored blog post, you would disclose within the post itself. I see no reason why Pinterest should be different.

It’s still your voice, and followers have a right no know when it’s not genuinely %100 YOUR voice.

7. Catherine

I don’t see Pinterest as really a reviewing platform, more as a list-making or inspiration site, so I don’t think it’s compromising to one’s integrity to get paid to pin. If a blogger were posting reviews of an item on Pinterest, I feel like they should be more transparent about their sponsorships, but otherwise, it would really depend on the situation.

8. Charl

compramises!? What’s this – no wander!? you only got 25% selicting!? this so far.

The correct, the honest way is to declare your interest.

Célèste is correct. No two ways about it.

9. fashion blog

if heartifb have different format and better with pinterest, I think this make popular not long time. but who know the internet users trend in the future ?