With summer just around the corner, we've got lightness on the brain. It's a season for less of everything: less clothing, less stress, less clutter and less mess! (Clearly we were in the mood for a good rhyme today!)
Heaviness and weight can creep into all aspects of your life – including your social media channels. We spend so much time trying to keep up – following the right people, updating our status, joining every network and signing up for emails that might be helpful. Before you know it your inbox is cluttered, your feed is flooded and you're missing all the good stuff.
This week before the season officially begins is the perfect time to “trim the fat” as we call it. Shed the excess to make the most of the time you spend online when you might really want to be in the sunshine.
Follow these 4 steps to get your online life streamlined, fit, fabulous and ready for summer!
1. Refresh your social media photos, profile and background image
- On Twitter and Facebook, why not change up your avatar and fan page photo? Pick a great image of you that reflects the season. This is also the time to finally make your fan page Timeline formatted, if you haven't already!
- Same goes for your Twitter background image – breath a little life into your profile page by changing yours
- If you haven't already, check out these tips for creating (or updating) your social media bio.
- Did you know you can now set a cover image for each of your boards on Pinterest? Do it!
- PS – Twitter also updated their Terms of Service, so you may want to check it out here.
2. Flush out your superfluous follows and subscriptions, everywhere
- Use Tweepi or a similar tool to flush out your follows on Twitter who have deactivated or extremely inactive accounts
- Revisit all the pages you “like” on Facebook (or that you've liked through your blog's fan page), and delete whatever feels irrelevant
- Pick one day to pay attention to all the emails from brands, e-stores, PR firms, websites, etc. Notice which ones you actually open on a regular basis, and unsubscribe from the rest. Your inbox will thank you!
3. Check out and update all your links and widgets
- If you've been thinking about it (or especially if you haven't), now is a great time to update your blogroll. Add your newest favorites and clean out the ones you rarely visit anymore.
- Spend some time clicking around your blog. Do your page links and widgets all go to the right place?
- Have you changed your URL, switched platforms or purchased your domain name recently? Make sure your URL is correct on your social media profiles, email signature, resume, etc.
- If you want to switch platforms, it's a good time for that too!
4. Re-energize and customize your blog's appearance and content
- Why not give your blog a more personal touch this summer. With our Beginner's Guide to CSS (part 1 and part 2) you can learn to customize your site easily.
- Do you like your blog's name? If not, we've got 10 tips for a great fashion blog name
- Improve your post titles, boost your photography skills, create killer content and generally energize your routine by following IFB's Blogger Workout Plan
Have any great tips to get your blog and social media ready for summer? Share with us!
Image credit: The Road is Home