Tweeting In Fashion: Faking It Versus The Real Thing

An avid tweeter and an Instagram enthusiast, Zac Posen is known for uploading photos of his stylish finds (and pets!) daily — sometimes even hourly. But according to a recent article in WWD, the fashion designer and overall style influencer has a staffer who types his tweets. Posen states in the article, “I tell her exactly what to say — every word.”

On the one hand, he's admitting that he isn't the one physically typing the 140 characters (and who's to say that a designer has to be social media savvy?). On the other, what if every tweeter (or blogger) looked at him or herself as a personal brand and had someone else doing all the typing? If Posen isn't typing the tweets, it's doubtful that he's reading them — isn't that distancing the “connection” social media gives us to begin with?

Where do we draw the line?

Then there's the case of Oscar PR Girl — she took on her own identity as a publicist working for the major fashion house Oscar de la Renta, and now, with over 132k followers on Twitter, can be considered a successful way of taking a look inside, without “faking” a designer's persona.

What are your thoughts on the issue? Should those who work in the fashion industry be free to hire people to ghost write their daily musings and replies to fans? Or should there be some kind of separation of “PR” type accounts versus the “real” thing?

[Image Credit: We Are Folk]

1. MoreThanTweed

As a university professor of professional writing, I just have to note that this is incredibly common. Many of my students get internships and jobs where all they do is manage social media content. I can’t treat this as a yes-or-no question because it all depends on what is being tweeted. I expect people who truly have strong personal brands to have a team where one person handle social media content. I think this is just part of the huge continumm of what goes into personal branding in fashion. Many bands are named after a person, but it’s rarely one person doing all the work.

2. Cate

I don’t think we can fault designers behind major fashion houses for having ghost writers. They have things to do. Like design! It really doesn’t matter to me who’s behind the words as long as the person is polite and engaging. I think it would be completely unrealistic to expect every business person (designer or otherwise) to constantly be tweeting just to satiate our curiosity. They do after all, have a business to run.

3. Crystin

I’ve always expected that many of the larger personas have twitter accounts run by other people. I don’t think a line has been crossed here, but that’s just my personal opinion.

4. Donna

Interesting topic… thought provoking. I follow some of my favorite actors and actresses who tweet some personal things. I’ve always figured that there might be another person who sends the tweets for them. I don’t really mind, as I understand that these people, like fashion designers, are busy. I do hope that they provide some of the personal info themselves, tho, and that they read some of the tweets they get… the ones their assistants print for them or something. I think Oscar PR Girl’s way of doing it is very good, tho. Promotion without the grey area of who is typing the tweets.
    Donna

5. Katie Stuart

I definitely thing that they should at least try to actually do the tweeting/instagramming/whatever themselves as much as they can. That’s the whole point of it is so that us fans can hear directly from THEM. It’s ok if they have someone do it for them once in a while, but I think hiring someone to do their tweets for them defeats the whole purpose…

6. francesca b.

Branding goes nowhere without social media and not only in fashion, however it needs to be impeccably executed. Same way a designer hires pattern makers, the photographer for the next campaign and a P.R. agency, he needs as well to select a social media curator. On a personal account, I have to confess that having worked for Oscar de la Renta, Oscar PR Girl is to me the perfect example of a successful SM curator as brand ambassador.

7. Ana

This doesn’t come as much of a shock for me – as soon as Twitter started getting populated by celebrities, I’ve asked myself how many of those were real and how many were ghost-written.

(The Posen one doesn’t even fall into the ghost-written category if it’s like he said it is.

Ghost-written would be if someone were hired by a certain celebrity to not just type the tweets, but come up with them, portraying a certain persona, of course.)