Individuality Vs. Similarity: The Myth Of The Fashion Blogger

The coolest thing about being a fashion blogger is you can showcase your individuality and style in your own space. Over the course of the past 5 years or so, personal blogging has become a force to be reckon with in the fashion industry, where girls who dreamed of styling Vogue photo shoots now style themselves and take self timer photos. It's created a pool where those with notable talent and drive can rise to the top and establish their personal creativity entirely on their own.

But what happens when this pool becomes, well, a little too homogenous? When did fashion blogging go from individuality to similarity?

After thinking back to our post last month where we compared how certain bloggers actually looked alike, we noticed there has been an overall change in how bloggers look. When fashion blogging first hit the internet, personal style posts were about the quirky or unusual looks of forward thinkers like Tavi Gevinson, Susie Bubble, Gala Darling, Karla Delas, Kingdom of Style, Childhood Flames, Garbage Dress, Rumi Neely, and Bryan Boy, just to note a few. Those bloggers are still around today and majorly successful, however, it's undeniable that there's a trendy pool of fashion ‘it' girl bloggers, with an overall likeness in dress size and economic status. Some of fashion's most influential bloggers today can afford multiple Celine bags and fit into a size 2.

Everything in fashion is cyclical — and everything has their moment. But as we become more established as a community,  are we becoming more like the fashion industry in the sense that trends, advertisements, and essentially being ‘model-like' will (for the most part) come out on top? It's empowering that we as bloggers can determine our own content, but as we grow, should we be self evaluating how we mold to the standards of the fashion industry? Are we going to just end up being versions of high end magazines? Are we going to be ruled by advertisers? By trends? By the way we look in our bodies look in our personal style posts?

The fashion industry is based on appearances, so therefore it's not unnatural that fashion bloggers are scrutinized on beauty, but does that mean the future of the fashion blogger predetermined?

[Image credit: Shutterstock]

59 Shares

1. Fashion Bandit

Very interesting post – and this is something I’ve noticed. Some bloggers do dress very samey – there are even certain ‘blogger’ looks – we’ve even got stereotypes. To be honest – these are not my favourite type of blogs, I still am drawn to those who showcase more individual style, and I hope my blog showcases that my look isn’t the same as most of the other bloggers out there…

2. FashionBlogLove

I totally agree on many of the points in this post. I think we definitely need to get back to the more quirky outfit posts, the looks and styles that stand out from the crowd, not blend in.

Let’s not conform, but stay true to our individual style. I love style diaries, but the blogs with the most unexpected outfits, tend to be most memorable for me.

xx

3. Crystin

I’ve definitely noticed a trend in which a ton of fashion bloggers look the same. If you’re blond or even just thin and white, you’ve got a leg up. I’ve also noticed that a lot of bloggers have similar taste/style. I mean, I love it and all, but it’s all starting to look a bit homogenous. I love the celine bag, for instance, but I’m getting a little tired of seeing it on every girl with a fashion blog.

4. Jenny

Very interesting article. I agree that it seems like the most successful bloggers right now are model-like beauties. I think that may be because clothing seems to look better on straight, boyish bodies. If you put a slim, beautiful blogger in the same outfit as myself (I’m short and curvy), the clothing would look better on the boyish figure most of the time. This can be somewhat discouraging for a blogger like myself who doesn’t fall into the “beautiful” category. That is why I really try to support bloggers who don’t look like models but who have a chic and inspiring style.

As for bloggers sharing a common look, I’ll admit, I don’t really follow the quirky unusual bloggers. I mostly follow blogs that feature clothing that I would actually wear. It’s where I draw inspiration for my daily wardrobe choices. However, I am starting to find that some of the looks are very similar. I’ve seen colored jeans with a chambray shirt one too many times (although I do LOVE and wear that look!).

<3 Jenny

5. Sound of Chic

I have been thinking this but didn’t want to be critical of other bloggers by saying it. I would love to see more of the non-model types rise to popularity only so more people can see their work.

And what about budget style? That doesn’t seem chic anymore, but I’m pretty sure about 80% of independent bloggers cannot afford a $2,000 Celine bag.

Anyway, this is part of why I started Sound of Chic. I’m not blonde, skinny, or rich, but I have a vision and I express my style through photography and music, and yes, fashion.

• Glitters

You are very right indeed. An average joe ca not really afford a bag that is due to be out in 2016 and costs a fortune. I can read about that in glossy magazines.

6. Closet Fix

I’m new to personal style blogging, and I must say that after perusing a plethora of blogs and various blogging communities, to get a feel for the landscape, the lack of overall diversity in what is toted as popular, mainstream, or the gold standard, is quite troubling. As the blogging community is extremely heterogeneous, representing a wide range of groups, it is rather peculiar that only a specific segment of this diverse population is ushered to the forefront and ultimately legitimized, while all others who do not fit that stereotypical mold are overlooked or underrepresented.

This is pretty disheartening, as I believe it should always be about quality and the associated end product. To allow any other attributes to supersede those requisites would be to further cultivate and sustain some of the inherent biases that are so prevalent in the fashion world. This article is a great avenue by which we can foster a healthy a dialogue about the issue, and hopefully engage in self evaluation that will actually lead to change.

• Lauren

Great response here.

It is interesting to see what has become popular. Those bloggers who fit into the mold skyrocket — and FAST.

Lauren

• Tamara

I couldn’t agree more. I’m not a fashion blogger but I’m a blogger who likes fashion so I follow a lot of fashion blogs as well as IFB, Refinery 29, etc. I’ve noticed not only that a lot of “popular” bloggers share characteristics but also that when lists are compiled of “bloggers to watch” and the like there is a glaring lack of diversity in ethnicity, body type and style. It’s crazy.

7. Young, Wilde & Free

What an eye opening post! Each time I tell someone I’m a “fashion blogger” they almost seem disappointed or amazed and I can’t figure out why. Is it because my style is “non-traditional” or because of my skin color and size?
    Fashion isn’t a color, or size, or economic background. Fashion is made for all, its sad people don’t realize that yet.
    Embrace who you are, love the body you have now not the body you wish you had.

🙂

X

• Heather

Lol! Try age. I told a young woman that I was a fashion blogger and that I posted photos of myself online in my outfits and she seemed shocked. Honestly she didn’t know what to make of me at all.

8. Lauren

I’ve noticed this same thing, as well. It’s actually almost caused me to stop blogging multiple times or to change my content… But I have resisted. It’s really hard to not change to get more traffic or more viewers… Because, after all, I am working hard and pouring my heart and soul into my blog and I want people to see it. But, I’ve decided it’s more important to be true to myself and my blog. This is also why I’ve skipped out on some of the linkie parties I’ve wanted to participate in… If it’s not something I would wear anyway… Why link up? Those readers won’t want to follow me.

I hope that it cycles through. Or that a newer audience with a more eclectic taste will break onto the scene. Here’s hoping that the individuality is still valued.

Lauren

9. Jade

I agree – a lot of the fashion bloggers do seem to look very “model-eque” which makes me feel a bit paranoid about taking pictures of myself as I tend to compare what I look like to what they look like. But I don’t necessarily think this is a bad thing as I LOVE seeing pretty people in pretty clothes. Ultimately though, it’s the clothes I’m more interested in and not how “prety”, “thin” or “perfect” the person wearing them is.

And with the “quirky” vs “similar/conventional, etc” I personally prefer my outfits to be simple and wearable on a day to day basis so I actually really like seeing all those types of oufits. But it is fun to see the “out there” clothes as well!

10. Heather

I don’t read the homogenous girls’ fashion blogs, so I haven’t noticed their popularity or the lack of variety. I’m drawn to bloggers who have something interesting to say both visually and verbally. It’s funny to me that the less interesting blogs are the most popular, but if that’s what the majority of blog readers want that’s what they’re going to search for and find.

Assuming of course that this is what people are looking for. It might just be that these tall, slim, blond, young women are being sought after by the big brands while other, more unusual bloggers are ignored. It’s no always easy to tell who has a larger following by their sponsors.

11. the zero winter

I’ve noticed this too, just like those of you who commented before me. I personally don’t look like those popular bloggers, and I certainly cannot afford the latest It Bag. Sometimes that makes me less willing to share photos of myself, or the things I buy. But then I remember that there are probably more people who share my limitations, rather than living wealthy lifestyles, at least to some degree. Part of the communal aspect to blogging is finding an audience who perhaps relates to you more than idealizes you. It was like that in the beginning. Those are the readers who, I think, bloggers appreciate. It’s a less superficial relationship.

I know it’s hard, and might even seem antithetical to some, but taking the superficiality out of blogging will help, not hinder, the community. We need to create diversity where it seems to have disappeared. That’s what I’d really love to see.

• Fashionably Geeked

IFB has done a ton of pictures featuring menswear bloggers, look alike bloggers, niche, etc. I think it’s time they did one on diversity! Not just color and ethnicity, but also height, size, number of followers, etc!

• Milly Y

I agree with this! Bloggers under *certain height*, plus size, small up and coming blogs, etc!

12. Melissa

I tend to agree. It’s very disheartening sometimes to know that a certain look (tall, skinny, etc.) is favored since only a few of us fit into that shape. I think it’s up to us to not get discouraged and support each other, which is what’s great about IFB. In the end, a person’s unique take on fashion is far more interesting to me than just a pretty girl in pretty/expensive clothes.

13. Eve

Well written and true. I am a blogger too, but I don’t fit in size 2, I am not tall at all and I’m a student and can’t afford expensive bags or shoes. But I love fashion I love the feeling of wearing something I like.

But yes, the popular fashion bloggers are stunning, walthy and thin beauties…it’s high school all over again ;).

14. Alexandra

Very interesting article!There is a certain amount of fashion bloggers that promote a similar model-like style and base their blogging on Celine bags and extremely expensive clothes.I personally feel that this is not the real meaning of blogging and rarely go back to visit these blogs.I rather visit a blog which shows some individuality and inspiring personal style with accesible brands.
    For me blogging should not be about always buying-or being given by brands- the most expensive designer piece and flashing it aroung but about personality and how this reflects on your clothes and style.

15. Donna

Yet another good topic. I hate to think that the future of fashion blogging is predetermined, but it may be. I only follow a few of the popular blogs, so I don’t know for certain what’s out there, but what I do see does fit the stereotypical model we see in magazines.
    I choose blogs to read that have interesting topics more than anything else. I may sign up to follow a popular blog, but if their content doesn’t interest me, I’ll stop clicking their links. I’m not very interested in conservative clothing, and I can’t relate to someone who can afford high-end designer clothing. But I’m also not going to read a blog that is poorly written, has posts that I can’t relate to, or is so cluttered that I can barely find the posts amongst all of the ads.
    Donna

16. Kalyca Romeo

Now it looks as though some of the bloggers out there are still in grade school, wearing uniforms. That how I describe those who are not original or creative, and don’t really understand fashion. They’re uniform wearers who still have a lot to learn about fashion. http://romeostyle.com/

17. Abeeha

The thing is the media and magazines are what make those blogs big and mainstream. They will obviously want the blogger with the celine rather than the zara bag. The fashion industry has always been this way. Highly doubt it’d change.

18. Tiffany

When Tavi Tulle and Suzie Bubble etc started blogging, the idea of having a blog was more of a hobby than a prospective career.

What I’m saying is, for a lot of beauty and fashion bloggers, nowadays the goal isn’t to write what you like and have a blog as more of social light hearted affair, but to get the most views, the most sponsors, and become your very own empire. Basically a mini celebrity!

The worst thing is, because they all look alike they aren’t being inspired by anything. It’s just becoming very stagnant because they’re all too scared to change what they’re doing in fear of upsetting their sponsors or losing subscribers.

It’s a similar thing that’s been happening to music for the past few years. As soon as money and big businesses get involved, everything becomes regimented.

• Alicia

THIS. IS. IT.

I couldn’t have said it better. There was true diversity when people were bringing themselves to blogs, not gunning for page views and sponsorships.

19. Anthony

I totally concur with this article and I am glad somebody has finally written about it. If only we can get a major magazine to do an article on it…hmm…

In an effort not to restate what has already been said. I do think we all (even though I’m not a blogger just a reader) need to focus on a solution. I am personally let down sometimes when I go to blogs and I see such extremes. It’s as if there are no in betweens. I would appreciate more blogs that displayed glamour at a reasonable price. It also to be shown that you can still look stunning and unique without spending hundreds of dollars.

For some reason beauty blogs have picked this up and not so much fashion…go figure.

P.S. perhaps it would e better if some bloggers brought their blogs together as one platform. That would increase the level of creativity and traffic brought to a blog.

20. FashionableTeacher

Interesting. Just a couple of days ago I commented on bloggers having these same pair of Zara shoes with the orange backs. Sick of seeing them. The posts are definitely starting to get scary similar
    I started a personal style blog yet haven’t posted on it three mths because I felt like I couldn’t compare to the other ones because I’m black and curvy. Now, I’m rethinking it and going back to it in July.
    But FashionableTeacher will always be my first love and my baby. Post on it everyday.

• MJ

I’m a black curvy girl too and trust me, there is a place for us! Don’t give up! 🙂

21. Louise

I’ve never fit into a mold, so while sometimes I want to try something another girl is doing, I always put MY spin on it, because I’d look like some kind of weirdo or fake otherwise. I hate that I can be at an event and easily guess who is a blogger. Being in the midwest, it’s still top knot, pleated maxi-skirt, braided belt, chambray shirt girl with either big sunglasses or “fashion glasses”.

I think there’s a reason I always get comments on my style, and not “oh, did you get that at _______? I have it too!”.

22. Manolo the Shoeblogger

This is the excellent post. The final paragraph should be expanded upon: the homogenization of the style blogs is happening partly because the fashion houses are favoring these model-looking bloggers with the product, advertising and promotion.

And, why should we be surprised that the houses do this? They have always sought to place their product with those whom they deem the most “attractive”, as part of their branding.

And because the magazines are likewise driven by advertisers, the editors tout in their pages those who are supported and promoted by the fashion houses.

What, then, should you do?

The Manolo’s solution, as always, is to be yourself.

In the other words, “Dare to be Ecccentric”

If you cannot compete with these samey-same model bloggers girls, you must be funnier, smarter, kinder to your readers, and more fashionable.

Your audience will eventually find you.

23. Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie

This is a great “food for thought” piece; it really makes you think/wonder/worry. I think that while it’s easy to point to many of the well-known bloggers & say how beautiful they are with great figures & expensive clothes/accessories, but I also believe that it will always be inherent to fashion & art that the extreme, the unusual, the new, and the exiting will receive adulation. If as an audience we were only interested in the mainstream, the homogeneous, great artists & forward-thinking visionaries like Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier & Hubert de Givenchy would never have thrived as they have.

I think we should approach fashion blogging the way that we approach fashion that we love – Look for individuality, a unique spin, a fun, interesting new perspective, and a creativity that grabs the attention. When I’m looking at new blogs and browsing my favorites I don’t want to see the same outfit over and over again, I want daring new interpretations and personalized, one of a kind style.

Let’s be bold & daring and hopefully we can all find an audience that appreciates our unique vision!

24. From A_to_B~Ahshia B.

Great post and poignant point on the “look” of today’s blogger. I think it’s okay to mix some trends with your individual style as long as you keep it original.I hope we as fashion bloggers don’t become cookie cutter in our styles. As for as advertisements, giving a FashOut(shout to ad sponsors by sporting their product}to sponsors from time to time is not an issue again as long as we don’t go overboard. It will be interesting to see the “Fashion Blogger” five years from now.

From A_to_B
    ~Ahshia B.

25. Kathleen Lisson

As a fashion blogger that focuses on ladies hats, I accept that I have a niche and that means less traffic and comments than more mainstream bloggers. I prefer to focus on finding fellow hat lovers and posting content that helps them wear hats with confidence and style.
    Kathleen Lisson

26. Donnachloe

The different blogs are those catering to the over-50 woman who has some unique fashion problems that really aren’t addressed in other blogs.
    For those of us who are older, we have a different perspective on fashion and what we can spend on it – and what we want to spend on it (partially a “been-there-done-that” attitude).
    Donnachloe

27. MJ

I have definitely noticed and as a matter of fact had a discussion about it with some fellow bloggers awhile back. I’m scared that we as bloggers who are the closest to the audience who ultimately go out and buy clothes, beauty products, etc. will have to start falling into the same main stream beauty standard. We bloggers have the power to change things (as it has been proven already) and we have the opportunity to make diversity the norm, not the out of the ordinary.

28. C.T. Thomas

I don’t think there’s any shortage of fashion blogs featuring unique or quirky, non mainstream style – it’s just that those aren’t the ones gaining widespread popularity. To me, that says more about the audience than it does about the bloggers. If we want to see more style diversity, than it’s up to us as the audience to encourage it.

• kate à la mode

I agree, C.T.

And yes, there is quite a bit of homogeneity. That’s what happens in the fashion world, or with humans in general: we want to be accepted by the community around us, and we mimic what we find attractive. But there’s a lot of diversity out there too, and you can find fun niche styles if that’s what you want.

29. lad mirror ball

I feel a sense of relief that this is out. I too have felt this. Personally my preference is for informed or insightful or personality led posts and am hugely turned off by ‘outfit of the day’ posts unless the outfit is given some context. I have struggled to break through this. Tq for the recommends x

30. Shin

I think everyone has different tastes and personal styles when it comes to fashion and blogging. While the majority of popular fashion bloggers share similar qualities, we cannot feel jealous and left out because they get the sponsors and get the most followers. We all have a choice to follow who we want and if you don’t see the blog you like, you can start one yourself. When I first started my blog, I was inspired by Rumi from Fashion Toast and Susie Bubble. I really believe that if you want to get noticed for your blog, you have to put in blood, sweat and tears in your work everyday. I see a lot of mediocre bloggers whining about how they don’t get as famous as the other bloggers and it’s really disappointing. Another thing that bothers me about these bloggers is that they’re in the wrong industry if they are wondering why their blog is being ignored. Just like ballet is for people with a specific body and talent and wrestlers and bodybuilders need to have muscles, fashion bloggers are being favored because of their good looks, a slim and proportionate body that looks good in clothes. We shouldn’t be surprised at all at the advertisers for choosing these bloggers. Fashion favors a very specific type of people and it’s something that we should accept instead of complaining about it.

31. Tandrika

This article is very interesting. I’m a new blogger trying to find ways to captivate a bigger audience. I find that alot of the blogs that cater to similar audiences all look some what alike. Some times I feel as if I must dress like those bloggers in order to gain a bigger audience. But maybe it’s safer to remain true to my own personal style…

32. Victoria

I think if you want to have a fashion blog with a larger following, your looks have to appeal to a larger variety of people—and that’s why I think the ones that are so successful have achieved that level of success—because they dress in a way that more women can either relate to, or aspire to.

If you have really quirky style or are in a small niche like gothic style or hot pink hair and vintage clothes and that’s your style—that’s wonderful and you should be true to that—but a very large percentage of women (like women who work full time in corporate settings) just can’t relate to that—and I’ll go as far as to say they don’t aspire to it either because it just doesn’t fit with their lifestyle or it’s not a look they want to emulate.

I think that you have to blog for you—not for followers and sponsorships, etc. Sure, it can be frustrating when you see a blogger become successful and you wish you had that success too— but just do what you love and forget about the numbers.

33. Glitters

There is similarity between most top fashion bloggers and the up and coming fashion bloggers are emulating this habit believing this is what will make them successful bloggers.

When I started working with fashion bloggers, it was very easy to spot the top bloggers and the striving bloggers this was because some of the newer bloggers have not added any element of originality into their style.

Also, there is too much emphasis on trends, most bloggers misinterpret this as style. It is not realistic that every fashion blogger has the newest item of clothing from a top designer/brand etc, we need to see a mixture of trend, style, old and new pieces etc.

Finally, most well established bloggers started blogging before the market became over saturated, anyone coming in now needs to be able to offer something different.

Sorry about the rant. Quite an interesting topic.
    xx

34. Pearl Westwood

It seems to me a thing which the magazines have created, perhaps they push the ‘modelesque’ bloggers because they represent the image they themselves create? Essentially they are controlling the blogging world, when in fact this is the opposite of what blogging was originally all about – being different, showing what we really ware in our lives not staging impractical looks for photoshoots and having our own unedited views on fashion. By only promoting the images which fits their theme they are taking back control of something which at first appeared like it was going to take over magazines and really change that stereotypical image and narrow minded view of fashion.

35. THE-LOUDMOUTH

The great thing about this is that it’s in our control. If we find a cool and unique blogger that doesn’t fit the status quo, we can support and promote him/her. It sucks that bloggers are starting to look the same, but we can change it!

36. Victoria Suzanne

I’m bored with ordinary style bloggers. I understand that companies find them more ‘marketable’, but as a reader I’m looking for some one who dresses, writes, and – since we’re talking appearance – looks unique. Nothing makes me navigate away from a page faster than seeing a very generic or ‘trendy style’ on a blog – I feel like it’s been there, done that. Often however, I find that the bloggers I like – unique bordering, perhaps, on weird – get passed over in favor of more typical fashion bloggers that readers may find more relatable. I’m definitely more of ‘weird’ style blogger myself, though, so perhaps I’m biased in that respect. And I’m very much a Tavi fan, and I enjoyed Gala Darling’s website in its early years. I’d much rather see innovative fashion types who make me want to try something new and inspiring than the same ol’ ‘how to wear color block and diy lugnut bracelets’ yet again.

37. camo meets couture

Let’s all agree to disagree. If certain bloggers can afford the Celine bag then good for them. If I had the money then I’d be splurging on designer items too. There is no point in being quirky for the sake of being different. Style is a matter of personal aesthetics and lifestyle. Your style should translate beyond fashion and into all realms of your life. As for all bloggers dressing alike, well that’s bound to happen if you follow trends. And honestly who cares, if that is their style direction then so be it. This issue wasn’t as evident before because there wasn’t as many fashion blogs around.

38. Libertad

I find boring bloggers who looks the same to each other or to a celebritie… and the point is that those bloggers are sometimes the most famous (something that I cannot understand, by the way). And why look like a model? Isn’t the great thing about humanity being different from each other? *sigh*

Fortunately, there are some interesting people who innovate on these difficult days. It seems that bloggers today have forgot why they started blogging: not because the free things some of the can get; but because they wanted to show their own style.

39. Peppi

It’s really kinda interesting to observe how a major share of blogger are becoming dressed more and more alike. The trends are really taking over. Although it’s nice to see the “it” bag on few of the blogs, but when it’s the bag and shoes, with some “it” jewelry too, it becomes kinda boring.
    Isn’t the point of personal style blogging showing your creativity with clothes? I think this is slowly fading, in the desire to have all the “it” items…

Xoxo, Peppi

40. Maria V @CrashingRed

I think the answer is there are two types of bloggers – quirky and fashionable. None of them better or worst. We are all different and if someone is tall and leggy and someone is not – well, thats just the way it is. Bloggers are people and we can’t all be quirky and become prototypes of Tavi or Rumi, we all have our own fashion sense and our own budgets.

Also, this is so not true that if you have Celine bag and size 2 you’ll succeed as a blogger. No and no. I see many new bloggers rising due to their bright personalities and unique sense of style while they quite obviously don’t have a lot to spend on clothes. Say, The Road is Home or Gary pepper vintage (well, she is sporting Celine now but she became famous for her outstanding vintage looks).

Myself, I have a very very limited budget too and don’t own any trendy exxy bags. The blog is doing fine.

As soon as you stay true to yourself, quirky or not, – your audience will find you.

41. absolutely mrs k

i have wrote an article about it! i am as they say a niche blogger with a distinctive style and a certain look! i am not the gorgeous girl next door! but i am not the most popular one because i don’t have a popular style! so i had to fight the fashion demons inside of me: or i adapted the popular style and my stats would go up, or i stayed true to my fashion identity! i chose the latter, and it has some consequences. the thing is, every blogger claims to be original and says that they stay true to their fashion identity! that is complete bollocks! i have seen certain zara sweaters passing by a million times and that is only good news for zara! because a company prefers quantity and not always the quality

42. foodfashionandflow

Great article! There are a lot of great fashion and lifestyle blogs out there, but the ones that rise to the top do all seem to look alike. I am about to stir up the pot for saying this, but how come there are never any bloggers of color among the top bloggers? I personally like seeing bloggers that have real curves and realistic looking bodies. And I love bloggers that can be fabulous without trust funds.

43. Jade

This is something I am currently questioning. I am writing my dissertation on how Fashion Blogs have progressed and influence the industry and their effect on their viewers. I worry that once a fashion blog becomes well known, that the individuality that its readers originally fell in love with, disappears .

44. Patricia

I am a new fashion blogger, Middle East based where the blogosphere is fairly new and growing fast.

I think diversity is important, and good representation is important because people tend to identify with influencers.

For instance, I am the typical Middle Eastern girl, fair skin, dark hair and dark eyes; not exactly thin and not into eccentric fashion in a conservative society. I think bloggers should identify with their readers; the more they do, the more they will appeal to a wider base of readers who will accept more readily the blogger’s views and styles.