Top Tier Bloggers Going Bigger With Their Advertisements

digital ads

Yesterday, Joanna Goddard of A Cup of Jo announced that she will be launching a site redesign in the near future, and in a long and hefty post, she answered some of the questions that have been lingering on her readers' minds. In one of them, she mentioned a major change that will be happening in her blog's advertising:

Aside from Cup of Jo going from indie-advertising to Federated, it was reported this week that Man Repeller (aka Leandra Medine) was just signed to CAA, a top-tier Hollywood agency with names like Tom Cruise and Kanye West under their belt.

“I think they are great at representing individuals and they know how to execute,” she said in an interview with Business of Fashion. “We have the ideas, we just need an execution plan and that’s where they come in really well.” She also noted that bloggers deserve the credibility of a high level agency, “It’s also important to have someone as big as CAA standing behind you saying this is what you deserve.. I think more than anything what’s great is that they have taught me to think on a larger scale. This is our moment, so we may as well seize it.” Side note: BryanBoy is also signed with CAA.

Medine also broke down how her blogger dough rolls in, “I have a storefront but that generates no more than 10 percent. Ads must be 30 percent. Collaborations bring in 60 percent.” With an agency like CAA, I can only imagine the collaborations will be bigger, meaning more dollar signs for the MR.

What do you think about veteran (and top tier) bloggers like Cup of Jo and Man Repeller going bigger with their advertisements? What does this say about the business of blogging?

[Image credit: Shutterstock]

Bigger, Better, Bolder: IFBCON September 4 & 5th, 2012, this year's ultimate fashion blogging conference!

1. Rachael

If they’re getting to the point where they can’t manage it on their own, good for them! I just hope bloggers will ensure their agencies keep with their true essence and not lose what made them so successful to begin with.

2. Renata

I think it’s good not only for them but for bloggers in general. It means that we’re getting bigger and bigger and getting credibility, which is really good for business.

3. Karina De Jesus

I can say, that I am only happy for them. If they have come this far, it’s because of their talent so for me it makes sense that they are making more money. Musicians, photographers, and other artists are making money of their talent. Why shouldn’t bloggers?!

4. Libby

If it’s getting to the point where you spend more time on adverts than your blog, surely this is a good thing?

5. Gabriela Simeonova

I am glad that the bloggers impact increases constantly. So these are some good news for all of us;)

6. Daniel

What I would like to see is the evolution of banner ads into more strategic, immersive and engaging methods of reaching audiences. These agencies should be advising bloggers of ways how they can work together with brands than a typical passive banner solution. Refinery 29 have some good examples of this.

7. Laura

It is incredible that bloggers are being signed to agencies that handle A-List celebrities. But one of the things I love about fashion bloggers is that there are normal people, or were once normal people like me that became huge doing something they love. I only hope I can follow in their footsteps and that they do not forget to recognize the followers who made them who they are.

8. Gg

I think it’s fantastic, good for them. It inspires me to hear how they’re progressing and can only hope for the success they have.

9. moiminnie

That’s nice for them but besides Man Reppeler, who always has amazing posts, others are just all the same – brands, sponsored posts and zero creativity. Money got to them big time and that’s sad.
    xx

10. Kristian

That’s awesome for them!

Its really interesting to see how blogging has evolved in such a short time- I mean, Web 2.0 is often dated as only going back to 2004, though there were online weblogs/diary sites before then. No matter when you date things as starting though its been such a rapid and exciting transformation to see blogs being taken seriously as businesses and creative outlets.