Is Ageism An Antiquated Idea?

Last week, we pointed out some of the leading players in the social media landscape are older than the average recent college graduate, which sparked a lively discussion about ageism and the current digital age. But as roles of adults and younger generations have increasingly blurred, is it becoming more difficult to pinpoint ageism in a cut and dry way?

It seems like in today's technologically-savvy day and age, the traditional roles of age are diminishing. People are waiting until later in life to leave their parent's nest, which also means later to get married and have babies of their own. But on the other hand, the access to so many tools via the internet has launched the careers and lifestyles of some young people faster than it ever could thirty years ago (read: Tavi Gevinson).

In an article posted on Reuters, the author explores the statistical data of older children living with their parents, “The number of adult children living with parents increased 1.2 million to 15.8 million between 2007 and 2010, the Census Bureau said. Those ages 25 to 34 accounted for two thirds of the 823,000 increase in adult children living with parents during that period, according to the report.” If you think abut it, that's a pretty significant jump.

The reason? The article cites the severe 2007 – 2009 economic recession and lack of jobs.

This “never leave the nest” attitude has also affected the social norms in adult leisurely activities; today there's 40-year-old men competing for the title at the Annual International Classic Video Game Tournament, commuters are increasingly looking to play games on their way to work, and it's not unusual for adults to watch cartoons late at night on TV.

But with the rise of digital media, and a “do it yourself” attitude that followed suit with the popularization of the internet and social media, it also seems like there are younger successful CEOs than ever (including fashion bloggers).

Things then become even more complicated — as the mainstream school of thought is that most fashion bloggers are still young enough to be covered by Obamacare, there are still plenty of very successful bloggers over the age of thirty.

In short, it seems like there is an ever-growing grey area when it comes to age expectations.

So, is this all a phase or is ageism an antiquated idea?

[Image credit: Shutterstock]

1. Nathy

Actually, most of my favorite bloggers (e.g., Kendi from Kendi Everyday) are in the 25-35 age range. I think it’s wonderful that we no longer think of 30-year-olds as old, or that we would think that people in their 30’s should not be fashion blogging.

And I keep waiting to find actual “senior” fashion bloggers. My mom frequently searches for fashion bloggers close to her age (mid-60’s). If anyone knows of any, please let me know! I found “Advanced Style” not too long ago, but these women are past their mid 70’s, and the blog doesn’t feature everyday, wearable looks at all.

As today’s blogger’s age, I think more people past 35 will be getting into the fashion blogosphere. I just hope I don’t have to wait that long to find great bloggers for my mom!

2. Natalee

Personally, I’m glad it’s getting blurred. I had my own place at 18yrs old and started my life, college, etc. but now that I’m quite a bit older and just starting to understand personal style and fashion I do not want to appear “too old” to be blogging. Some of us are late bloomers.

3. TerranceJ

Ageism, the advancement of the digital age, role division – these are all great topics to consider on the subject of fashion blogging. Speaking from experience (I’m currently a victim of the recession), I can agree with the many of the cogent points in this article, especially given how digital trends are so democratized in this era. With the right tools, almost anyone can create a blog and begin to cultivate their own personal viewpoint on this business. Strictly speaking, I do think that ageism is an antiquated idea. Many of my followers on Twitter agree that about 10-15 years ago, fashion and entertainment on the whole centered around the idea of “who this is” and the ability to reach stardom. You’re no longer seeing that now: content is king and the ability to curate that is material in becoming successful to the individual standards that you set.

4. Heather Fonseca

I certainly hope ageism is an antiquated idea in the digital age as I have no intention of letting a set of numbers stop me from creating a successful fashion blog, though sometimes it is daunting.

5. Kathleen Lisson

I wonder what the age of the fashion blog audience is? Perhaps as more 40-somethings follow fashion blogs, more fashionable bloggers will appear to cater to the community. I wonder if most of the late 30’s early 40’s fashion bloggers are focused on the mommy blogger niche.

• Corleen

I know that many people in that age bracket do have kids, but there are some of us who either have older kids or none at all. My son is 22, so at 41 I am finally finding the time to concentrate on myself and my long-term love of fashion.

My blog is very new, but feel free to check it out at http ://barelypractical.com

6. Donna

I think ageism should be outdated but I’m not sure it is. Today is my birthday and I have to admit I’m not happy to be in my late 40’s. I think the biggest reason is that there is so much importance placed on “anti-aging” that I (and many others) feel like aging MUST be bad. The facts, however, are that the only true bad things I’ve encountered are some health problems and the frustration of slowing metabolism, which makes it harder to have the body I’d like. I still like the same style of clothes as I always have, the same kind of music, and I enjoy experimenting with make-up more now than when I was younger. Maybe when enough people realize that age stereotypes are no longer that accurate, ageism will start to fade.