Vogue Paris Gets A Make Over, Garance Doré Will Have Her Own Column

According to WWD, French Vogue is getting a major makeover starting with its September issue, which will be available August 23. The article notes that it will feature, “a cleaner, airier design, with remodeled typography and the use of a craft-paper-like brown background — both of which hark back to its look in the Sixties and Seventies.” More specifically, they will be focusing on their identity and Parisian-ness.

“All the other Vogues carry a country name. Vogue Paris is the only one to carry the name of a city,” Editor-in-chief Emmanuelle Alt told WWD. “Everyone fantasizes about Paris. It’s the concept of the ‘Parisienne.’ The ‘Parisienne’ is a girl who makes people dream worldwide, rightly or wrongly, a girl who represents a particular style, a taste, an allure.”

Another notable addition includes a fashion opinion column penned by fashion photographer/illustrator blogger Garance Doré.

Starting with this upcoming September issue, she will contribute a two-page feature called “Humeur” (“Mood”) with her view on a fashion-related topic, alongside the blogger’s own illustrations.

Doré has been known to cross mediums, she's been experimenting with video, and has worked with many editors and brands — but what do you think about a “top tier” fashion blogger having a column in a print magazine (especially one like French Vogue)?

[Image credit: The Sartorialist]

1. Lilzeon

It’s an enormous move by Condé Nast. We can remember all the disregards from editors-in-chief towards “bloggers”, especially from the Italian version.

Nonetheless, there must be an inner war within Condé Nast, as they’ve tried some years ago to recruit untypical profiles for their online versions in France (a former DJ for instance…). It did not work that well at this time, as it was probably too early.

The question I have: when you are Garance Doré, you’re no longer a “blogger”, but a phenomenon like Alexa Chung. I don’t know at the end if it’s a real change for Vogue, or just a way to “buy” some attention from brands to buy pages…

I may be too skeptical thus; if Garance does a great job (and I’m sure she will), she’ll impose a new attraction within old sentinels of the printed version…

2. Rachel

I love Garance, so this for starters makes me happy, but I am really excited about this new, ‘cleaner’ look and layout. Vogue Paris is the only French fashion magazine I think does not have one of the best international versions (I live there part of the year so I read a lot of them), because I think they typography is a little dated, the layout is a bit too cramped and the whole thing is very un Parisian as it stands. British Vogue, from my home country I can feel its Britishness in its layout and approach, but not with Paris. I have spend so much time in France, and ever since I picked up my first ever issue I was disappointed. French Glamour on the other hand, getting sidetracked is so much more classy than any other edition I’ve ever read with better fashion and features.

3. beautifulfall

I think this is a very exciting accomplishment for bloggers and a huge statement about where their niche is within the fashion industry. Garance has been known as an illustrator for years now and that has given her an outlet in the fashion industry that many bloggers don’t have as they only document their personal style, where as Garance has a talent other than styling or trend spotting. Susie Lau of Style Bubble was one of the first bloggers I ever started following and when she got a job at Dazed and Confused digital I was ecstatic to see a talented journalist and stylist to get a job in the industry. Since then she now attends every fashion show internationally, it’s only a matter of time until a blogger becomes editor in chief of one of the top tier magazines…..

4. rita

i’ve always thought that emannuelle alt could do no wrong, and this just validates my theory. it’s clear she understands the direction that media is moving and her support and inclusion of garance dore will help to elevate bloggers going forward… assuming their work is as professional and as likable as hers, of course!

5. TerranceJ

This article brings to mind that whole tizzy that Roitfeld had when she left French Vogue – what I mean is that the buzz around that is comparable to Garance being taken up by a glossy. At a certain point, we are all transitioning into something that requires a bit more finesse. In this case, I’m waiting to see how well Garance (as a street photog phenom and digital media maven) will fare with the guys and gals at Vogue. This is quite a moment for all bloggers.

6. Kathleen Lisson

Congratulations for Garance! I read the last edition of Paris Vogue while I was on my honeymoon in Paris and was very naively surprised when the fashion I saw on the streets was in no way reflected in the magazine, even in their article on dressing like a Parisienne. I adored the street style, especially the talent for using scarves in casual outfits. Maybe actual street style and real outfits have no place in an aspirational glossy magazine – but just maybe magazines are seeing that documenting the ‘middle step’ of wearing a top brand – in between runway looks on the red carpet and the average consumer buying a brand’s sunglasses/makeup/fragrance/handbag for the ‘logo factor,’ is a vibrantly growing part of fashion.