FASHION WEEK! So glamorous. So chic. But I'm here to tell you: no, not really.
Once upon a time I was an intern for a fashion PR company, and as a part of the internship I was required to help out backstage at this fashion show. O-M-G, I thought. Models, make up, hair, clothes; this will be amazing. I pictured myself gallivanting around, chit chatting with designers, “Oh, you want ME to try on your $5,000 dress — why of course! It just fits me perfectly. I can keep it!? Oui!? You're too kind.”
If you are thinking about volunteering at Fashion Week so you can get the “in” it's probably a good idea. But if you have similar expectations as I had, here is what you need to know from my personal experience:
– First, you should realize you will probably be required to wear all black. Not like cute all black, not like little black dress, and not like biker-chick-chic — more like black comfortable shoes and clothing you could climb a fence in, because there's a possibility you will have to climb a fence if someone with a headset asks you to.
– Which leads me to my second point — people with headsets rule all. I have no explanation for this, but if you see a headset, obey any and all commands.
– You will probably do a lot of standing around and waiting. Then a lot flustered rushing. And then a lot of cleaning, packing, and organizing. Not to mention heavy lifting, running, ushering, and steaming. Trust me, you will eventually start sweating from all of the rigorous physical activity. GLAMOUROUS.
– No, you will not be in any photos on Vogue. See all of these models posing here? I'm actually behind them. You can't see me. You're not supposed to see me. Hence, therefore, vis-a-vis — you will not be in Vogue.
– You may, however, may be asked to talk about underwear on camera as I was told to do. I held up a pair of panties and explained their functionality. Instead of flirting with famous designers I was discussing how underwear works (and no, I'm not talking lingerie). Again, GLAMOUROUS.
– I hope you comfortable with nudity, as it's most likely naked models will be present, waiting for you to stick pasties on their nipples. (Yes, I did that.)
– Kanye West might be running late. And it will feel like the world is about to end.
– Kanye West might not want to use the designated ‘celebrity' door to exit after the show. And it will feel like the world is about to end.
– And finally, whatever Kanye West wants, Kanye West gets.
Phew! I hope my little “experiences” don't deter you too much — Fashion Week is an awesome experience and it's fun to feel like you are helping put on the show. Just prepare yourself.
[Image credit: Shutterstock]