You're addicted. I'm addicted. What am I talking about? I'm talking mobile. When I go without my mobile, I feel disconnected and probably look like a lost child wandering the streets of New York empty handed. (You think I'm kidding but I'm not.) Do you feel the same way? Well, when I read this Mashable article that highlighted mobile's growing presence, I knew I probably wasn't alone. The article stated,
“Mobile traffic currently makes up 10% of global Internet traffic and next year more people will use mobile phones than PCs to get online. Purchases made on mobile devices amounted to $6.7 billion in the U.S. last year, or about 8% of total online sales, and are expected to nearly double to $11.6 billion this year. By 2015, U.S. mobile sales are forecast to reach $31 billion.”
With these types of figures, it seems like we should all start proclaiming MOBILE IS EVERYTHING. But, what does that mean, exactly, and how can it benefit bloggers? I think it's time that we start utilizing mobile and take advantage of this trend. What can you do on mobile that is easy, tangible? How can you use mobile to deliver your content to your readers?
Here are the five most important things you can do as a blogger to be a part of the mobile trend:
- Understand the trend. Mobile is much more than just apps and sites; it's a full-force sales movement and every brand right now is trying to capitalize on it.Why? Because the consumer is there. We spend more time on our mobiles than our computers so brands are going to target us more on that channel. To truly understand what you can do on mobile, you need to know what has been done and where it's going. Follow L2 Think Tank which is a great resource on new technology trends. You should also keep checking out PSFK which is a digital publication that talks specifically about cutting-edge digital work. Bottom line, get to know what's happening in the field. It will make you smarter and will get your brain thinking on what you can do.
- Analyze the competition and see what other bloggers are doing. Much like understanding the trend, you should be up on what your fellow peers are doing. If a blogger is doing an e-commerce push with a brand specifically on mobile, that is big! You want to know about that and possible brainstorm if that kind of service or collaboration would work for your blog.
- Keep up with Mobile shopping apps. Just one look at the App store and you will realize, apps are big and we talk about them quite a bit so that could be an area that you join in some way. Share your favorite apps with your readers, join a mobile fashion app that allows you to grow your reach and potentially, make money.
- Monitor the mobile stats in your Google Analytics. You can see the screen size your readers are using to view your site on mobile, what operating system they are using and what service provider they are using too. See the slideshow below to get a better look at what the mobile stats dashboard looks like in Google Analytics.
- Make your site mobile-friendly. If you're using Blogger for your site, you can choose from an array of mobile templates, as well as customizable feature. (Go into the “template” menu on the left side of your dashboard; you will see “Live on site” and “Mobile” at the top.) If you are on WordPress, search for a Mobile plugin that will resize your content and make it automatically fit whatever resolution your mobile user is currently on. After you've tweaked your settings either in WordPress or Blogger, visit your site on a variety of deivces. Android, iPhone, iPads. Make sure that the images and the columns all look the same as your regular site.
Mobile is an area that you should be paying attention to, especially as it continues to grow. If all the brands and magazines are popping to mobile, you wouldn't want to be left behind, right?Tell us: Is your blog mobile-friendly? Do you have questions about mobile?