Writing 101: 3 Easy Ways To Get More Readers Through Better Writing

Has your traffic plateaued? Are you getting less comments? Are readers spending a shorter amount of time on your blog?

Even if you are doing everything right with promoting your posts through social media, there will always come a time in your blog's lifespan where you're bound to hit a lull in traffic and activity. So, what's the secret to fixing this dilemma? It might have something to do with your writing.

As bloggers have grown to be considered independent online publications, the writing of the bloggers “coming out on top” has also been elevated, both in original and unique content ideas, but also in how they are written. While writing for some is harder than others, there are a few easy tricks of the trade you can use to make your content online more reader friendly.

Why your text is important to your blog's lifeline…

According to an article on ProBlogger, text is far from being dead. In fact, it's easier and faster to consume than video or audio. It also leaves a lot more room for the personal imagination, as the “read between the lines” expression suggests. With writing, you don't need special equipment or a team of people, it's just you and the keyboard, making it a more cost effective and streamlined process (especially for new bloggers).

Tips to stay ahead of the game and keep your readers coming back:

Just because it's easy to write doesn't mean you don't need to write well — see our tips below to help you out.

Outline your post before you write it.

For some bloggers, this requires a physically written outline, graph, or list. Others (and sometimes more experienced writers) can just think of the list in their mind and begin. Either way, knowing exactly what you are going to write before you start typing always makes the process flow much easier. You'll notice a difference — your end result will be content that flows easily, with more cohesive and concise writing.

Read your post aloud first, then let others read it before you publish.

Sometimes what sounds good in your head doesn't sound quite right when you read it aloud. For instance, you may realize you used a run-on sentence, or perhaps you used the same descriptive word more than once. When you hear these mistakes aloud, it's much easier to catch.

Furthermore, you want to make sure your readers are understanding what you are writing — just because it makes sense to you, doesn't necessarily mean it will make sense to them. Have a friend or family member have a look at your draft before you post it (and make sure it's someone who isn't afraid to be brutally honest). Take their feedback seriously and analyze their opinion on your post. Their suggestions could help you tap into how others digest your writing.

Remember, the reader wants to take something away from your post.

Why is your audience bothering to read this post until the very end? Is it a story they want to hear? Are you introducing them to a new product or designer they may not have heard of? Are you weighing in on a topical subject? Are you objecting to a common felt notion? Always focus on the WHY, and make it abundantly clear to your audience.

Have you struggled with writing better content on your blog? What are some ways you improve upon your writing?

1. snowblackblog

I suck at writing to be honest. I blame it on my art education , whereby our mode of expression was through the medium we used. I only had to fill in immigration forms or application when I was studying art. Then when I began my blog, I filled it with what I thought was humurous and it worked. Then I tried to get more “serious” because PR companies and important people were interested in my blog. I honestly don’t know how I come off to others when I write, that’s why I like to keep it short.

2. Lozzie

“For some bloggers, this requires a physically written outline, graph, or list. Others (and sometimes more experienced writers) can just think of the list in their mind and begin.”

Are you able to outline a suggested list of points that would be generic and form the basis of such writings? Or can you point me in the direction of perhaps another post that considers this? Thank you x

3. TheAsiaMonique

Exactly. Time to go back to the basics with the blog. Great post. Needed this.

4. Ley H

I mostly agree with the article. I think that the most important thing that a blogger/author can do is gauge their audience. Some people really are looking for editorial content–but some are looking for fluffy humor or fun graphics. I think as long as you are producing content that you personally are proud of, that’s what matters.

5. Carley

Great tips!
    One thing I have noticed while reading other blogs, and something I have tried to keep in my while composing my own posts (all two of them, thus far – hooray!), is length of paragraphs.
    When clicking through blogs, I am more drawn to reading posts that are composed of smaller paragraphs – I think it’s a mental thing. I’m more willing to commit to reading several shorter paragraphs than a lengthy-looking block of text.
    Anyone else find this true?

• FutureLint

Yes! Totally! When I see a paragraph that is practically the whole screen, I get scared! Use the natural breaks or twists in a story to start a new paragraph or I might not commit to even starting the post!

6. Gissi Jimenez

Writing for me is the hardest part. I try to be witty as that is the style of writing i like. But i’ve noticed that you just have to be true to what you write it has to reflect who you are if not you’ll readers will notice.

7. Sophie

It’s nice to hear that text is still appreciated. Sometimes it seems as though the only successful blogs are personal style ones with lots of photos and barely any text because text requires more attention and is harder to read when multi tasking but I blog to practice my writing because writing is my dream and my passion. I sometimes take personal style photos but I write more often and include runway pictures or similar to break up the chunks of text and make it more interesting for the reader x

8. Reem

I suck at writing but slowly I’m getting better. I pray to take my blog to another height in the future.

9. The Flamboyante

It is always such a pleasure comming here and reading your articles – I very often feel they are directed at me…:) I always have a very clear idea of what I am going to write beforehand. I think about it whilst collecting material, f.ex. photographing or just absorbing an event, to later write about. I don’t really have the time to have my text reviewed by someone else, but I get feedback and resonance from my readers. I think it is very important to be thoughtful about what you write and how it may come across. In the end of the day we all are individuals, perceiving everything individually – and we are human and make mistakes which could be just slips of pen. I think that readers have the ability to look at something – that may appear as an issue to them – from different angles.
    English isn’t my first language, whereas living in the UK for three years may have been helpful, it is yet a challenge to write in a language, that is not my native one. Maybe it kind of automatically lets me be more reflective about what I write.

10. Armand

I really enjoyed reading your suggestions. While doing a men’s fashion blog, I always thought keeping it short and sweet was better, but now I know better.

11. Ascending Butterfly

Dolls when you are NOT passionate about the topic, it just plain shows! When there is passion behind the post, people are more compelled to read it all the way through!

12. Barbara

I started off writing and so it has become easier for me to put more fun into my writing with pictures. I am also really good at picture stories cos I think it is really boring to just look at pictures especially of people at events.
    So yes I am of the school of thought that good writing is the very first step to a great blog and I am constantly looking to improve my writing in every way I can.
    Great post Chelsea.
    Barbara
    Lagos, Nigeria

13. My Pomp & Circumstance

I really thought these tips were useful, especially the ‘read your post aloud’. I think mistakes or errors in your writing are much easier to find when you orate your work. Reminding yourself that your reader is on your page for the sole purpose of taking information away from it is also a good editor in and of itself.

14. Rita

The writing is super important! I have stopped taking some bloggers seriously just because their writing was so bad. Planing and editing is essential. But if you’re not passionate about it, neither of those will save you!

15. Calvin

I sometimes do a bit of both: planning out a list and then free writing. Lists are a great way to stay on track and flex your muscle around specific thoughts.

16. Tali

I’m naturally behind other bloggers in writing because English is not my mother tongue. BTW I never saw this issue come up here – how non-English speakers (who still write in English to be able to speak to more people..) succeed in blogging, how their posts are viewed by others, etc etc.
    Does anyone have opinion on it?

xx
       Tali

17. Stefanie Grace

I think this is a great reminder for people. I often rush posts cos I feel the need to have something published, but that really doesn’t help long term…

18. Kaitlyn

The biggest thing that bothers me when I’m reading otherwise brilliant blogs is a lack of capitalization. How difficult is it to capitalize nouns, i’s and the beginning of a new sentence? Easy! But sooo important for readability and professionalism.

19. MonicaP

I’m glad I read this. I write blogs quickly, then let them sit in draft mode overnight, then re-read, re-edit and let it sit.

My worst problem is passive voice though .. aghrr .. how on earth did I learn to write this way 😛

Monica