Odds are, if you're writing a blog, you're probably a words person. You'd choose a crossword puzzle over Sudoku on Sunday morning. You excelled in in English more than mathematics back in high school.
Or maybe not, but you're acutely aware of your vocabulary skills now. You have to use them pretty much daily in your posts! Writing everyday makes the part of your brain that holds your extensive lexicon nice and strong, but it can also lead you into a rut of repetition. Everything is cute, all the collections were chic, and that store is just amazing.
Sometimes that easy word, right on the tip of your tongue is the right word. Sometimes that jacket is just chic. However, sometimes it's fun and inspiring to challenge ourselves to explore beyond our usual vocabulary. Language is a powerful thing. It can evoke imagery, stir emotions and illicit powerful responses from readers. We have so many descriptive, creative, words available to us that don't get the usage they deserve. The goal is not to alienate your readers with obscure terminology, but to please them with something unexpected. Why not try the unconventional?
Sometimes cool is cool, but sometimes what's cute might actually be delightfully sweet…
- amazing: astounding, mind-blowing, electrifying, impressive, stunning, shocking, phenomenal, remarkable, awe-inspiring, thrilling
- Chic: current, elegant, sharp, smart, sophisticated, refined, studied, urbane
- Classic: quintessential, archetypal, distinguished, excellent, ideal
- Classy: posh, prim, ritzy, trim, turned out, glossy, tasteful
- Cool: fresh, refreshing, snappy, clever, keen
- Cute: charming, delightful, pretty, sweet, darling, fetching, precious
- Easy: natural, accessible, effortless, leisurely
- Excited: ebullient, elated, fired up, jubilant, overjoyed, pleased, tickled, flushed, reveling
- Exciting: fascinating, intriguing, spellbinding, riveting, enchanting, compelling, irresistible, magnetic
- Fabulous: breath-taking, outrageous, marvelous, spectacular, striking, superb
- Fancy: frilly, frou frou, sumptuous, showy, ornate, embellished, deluxe, lavish, rich
- Simple: light, clean, straightforward, uncomplicated, stark
- Stylish: dashing, dressed to kill, dashing, jazzy, jaunty, a la mode
- Vintage, retro: dated, nostalgic, evocative
- Wonderful: admirable, astonishing, brilliant, remarkable, miraculous, sensational, swell, ambrosial
Do you think there are too many overused words in the blogosphere? What words are you tired of? How do you keep your jargon fresh? Share your exceptional perspective in the comments!
For more: The Glossy Glossary: Fashion Journalism A-Z; Blogger's Guide to Social Media Jargon; Talk That Talk: Know Your Blog Business Buzzwords; What's a Cooke: 10 Essential Internet Terms You Need To Know.