Deal Or No Deal: The Power Of Saying ‘No’

Blogging business

As a blogger, it's likely that your “brand” has a lot to do with who you are as a person. In fact, for most of you, your brand is your likelihood. As a result, it's important to stay true to yourself when choosing which brands to collaborate with. It wouldn't make sense to work with Old Navy, say for example, if your goal is to one day be invited to Chanel's fashion shows. In fact, you may just simply want to say “no thank you” to their offer.

On the flip side, there may come a time when a brand is a good fit, but simply isn't compensating you fairly. Even if you feel like the deal isn't working to your favor, the excitement of a brand reaching out to you may cause you to say yes anyway. But in the back of your head, you know you should have said “no.”

That being said, when you're first starting out, it may be enticing to work with anyone who notices you — and hey, who doesn't want to make an extra buck? But as you begin to build your portfolio, you may notice that the brands you work with in the beginning may affect the offers you get after you build a significant following. And sometimes, even when you are just starting out, you may need to say “no.”

While blogging is a business based in taking risks and snatching opportunities, sometimes learning how to say “no thank you” is a learning experience in itself.

You don't have to say yes to everyone or everything. But why is saying “no” to someone so difficult sometimes?

We all do it. Instead of saying simply, “No, I'm not interested,” we come up with excuses to skirt around not doing something we didn't even want to do to begin with.

Saying “no” means there's a great chance we might disappoint or upset someone. And then, as a human, we all understand the unsavory feeling we get when others say “no” to us — making us not want to say the big N-O to someone else even more so.

Furthermore, saying “no” can feel like you're being defeated. Instead of “trying” something or being flexible, you are simply denying the opportunity, which surprisingly is something many struggle with subconsciously. But instead of feeling cynical or like you are a disappointment, understand that the word “no” is actually healthy.

Think about it: In reality, you are simply setting boundaries for yourself. “No” is actually freedom from doing what you don't want to do. As things can get overwhelming, “no” becomes your liberation, and it sure is powerful.

Saying “no” also can have it's consequences. You may upset someone, or more importantly, you may upset someone important, like someone you do business with or a family member. While this may be a hurdle you will need to cope with, the power of saying “no” will benefit your mental health in the long run.

[Image credit: Shutterstock]

[Source: The Power of No]

1. Toni Styles

This is such an important post – as a blogger, “no” is good for health, happiness and most important sanity. A very powerful word when used thoughtfully. Thanks Chelsea!

http://rhythmandruffle.com <3

2. Maya

I’ve received a fair number of business offers and I haven’t accepted any. My blog is extremely niche, being solely about colorful fashion, and I am picky about only working with companies that would enhance that vision as well as match my tastes.
    Partnerships should always complement your content. And when you accept fewer collaborations, it makes the great ones that come around feel even more special.

Maya

3. Sarah's Real Life

I actually got an email from a reader recently who works for some company that makes handbags, and she was offering to let me borrow a bag in exchange for a review. I checked out the website and the bags overall are NOT my style at all. I’ve been leaving the email unanswered because I felt bad about possibly alienating a reader, but this article is so right… I will email her back with a nice “no thanks.”

Sarah’s Real Life

4. Marlene @ chocolatecookiesandcandies

I’m honored and pleased that digital marketing firms are starting to knock on my door. It’s a wonderful compliment. However, I have to turn down the majority of these offers because 1) their products are aimed at a different demographics 2) I’d like to have control over the advertisements that appear on my blog 3) we couldn’t settle on the fee 4) the content is not something I’d feature on my blog.

I still find it surprisingly that I get press release materials or requests for collaboration and most didn’t even bother to find out what my name is. It’s right there in the comments, About Me, Twitter etc… Dear Blogger/Hey/hi Chocolate Cookies and Candies (no idea why anyone would think that’s my name) to hi editor…..

• snowblackblog

I know what you mean about the press release materials. Do they not realise that our blogs aren’t advertising billboard for them to just put their launches or releases on ? Most PR don’t know how to communicate well with bloggers. They only care about the big names, and that’s it.

I am personally taking a break with my blog and re-strategizing what it is that I want to blog about and who I want involved in my blog in the future.

5. Lady B

In September or October British Elle (the exact issue escapes me), one of the top editors was asked questions about their career, how they got up the ladder etc, and he said something I totally agreed with; especially when it comes to the fashion industry (which can be applied to blogging). In your 20s you should be eager and try everything, but in your 30s, get more selective. The latter means having to say No a lot more often… One could say that No as opposed to Yes can be the key to success…

6. Irene Gianos

I’m fairly new at blogging, wanting to collaborate with other bloggers. But I’m trying to be picky as to who will post on mine. I want their blog to be somewhat aligned with mine, and I don’t want to hurt anyones feelings by saying, “Hey, I’d love to have some guest posts!” and then those who might volunteer be totally not the type of blog mine is. Advice on how to “gently” turn someone down without sounding like I’m turning my nose up? Thoughts?

7. NewLife

I recently received my first offer from a brand for my relatively new blog. It was for a product I would never choose to wear and so I didn’t hesitate to send a nice ‘no thanks’. But it’s so flattering to be noticed that it is hard to turn down offers.

8. Lipstick and a White Tee

In business, but more importantly in life, it is important to say just “no”. If you give an excuse instead of a simple no, you leave room for the counterpart to question&argue it. I’ve learned that lesson through some really “argumentally talented” friends, who used to get me to do things even though I’d rather have used my time for something else. Sometimes it is good to be selfish!

9. zbihr

I work in for a digital marketing firm, and contact fashion bloggers all the time. I love to see some of these comments talking about PRs who can’t even find out the name of the person they’re emailing (i literally just don’t email if I can’t address someone personally) and I certainly don’t mind being told no If someone responds with a polite “no thank you” I simply make a note of their preferences, and if I do happen to come across something that they would be interested in, then I contact them at a later date (if they’re not interested in anything I have to offer then obviously I would note down to leave them be!)

There’s nothing wrong with saying no!