Treat Yourself: How Do You Reward Yourself For Good Work?

blogging success

In a typical “day job” you have co-workers, a team, a boss — and everyone has to answer to a higher authority. But being a independent fashion blogger means you are your own boss, and for many, the whole team. So while you may not have someone checking your work or reprimanding you when you over sleep, you also don't have someone rewarding your jobs well done. You may soon realize that you are a tougher boss on yourself than you might have expected.

Being rewarded for good behaviors is just as important as being tough on yourself. We've talked about how goal setting can be the most efficient way of getting your blogging business started (and maintained). But rewarding your progress along the way is just as vital to keeping your sanity — you don't want to end up feeling like you are constantly running up hill. Take a breather. Reflect.

Maybe you exceeded your monthly traffic goal, or maybe you landed an awesome campaign, (or maybe it's just Friday!) — whatever the reason is, giving yourself a little pat on the back for your accomplishments is imperative to from keeping yourself from having a blogger burn out. (Here's a little tidbit for you guys: the IFB team goes out to get a Pho lunch every Friday to keep things fun!)

Whether it's a manicure, brownie, a day off, or a little retail therapy, it's healthy. Giving yourself rewards is a way of keeping yourself motivated, especially when there's no one else motivating you.

How to Reward Yourself for Your Accomplishments

Think about things that really relax you or items you may want to purchase, and write them down so you have a tangible list. Make one column for “big ticket” items (like a vacation) and one for smaller treats (like a new pair of heels). Making your rewards tangible will help you remember to treat yourself (it's easy to forget).

Rewards work best when they are realistic. For instance, don't promise yourself a trip to Paris if you can't afford it. If a cupcake is more your budget, take that into account.

Now go ahead, treat yourself. You have our permission.

1. Toni Styles

Perfect! Love this idea, it’s another big plus that comes with working at home, as an entrepreneur, and just really, really hard. Most days I have a movie waiting for me after dinner. A spa visit will be next!

http://rhythmandruffle.com <3

2. Stephanie

I wish I could treat myself for reaching goals! The biggest reward would be to get some sleep and eat better (two super important things that I’ve been putting on the back burner).

-Stephanie from Chocolate Laced

3. Donna

I like the spa idea. I also like retail therapy, even if it’s just the thrift store. Unfortunately what I want the most right now I can’t have. My 18 year old cat died in my arms last week, and I’d give almost anything to have her back as a healthy cat. She has travelled across the country with me twice, and was always by my side while I typed on my computer, watched tv, or slept. Somehow none of those other things seem appealing now. Everyone, be so grateful for the little things that bring you joy, because sometimes they bring more joy than anything else.
    Donna
    prettysparklythings

• Toni Styles

Hi Donna, so sorry to hear about your loss, a beloved animal is really a family member and I hope the memories and time heal your heart. Thank you for the reminder that being grateful for every little thing is what’s important.
      Take care. xo

4. Ana

“But rewarding your progress along the way is just as vital to keeping your sanity — you don’t want to end up feeling like you are constantly running up hill.”
    I really have to keep this in mind.

5. Lipstick and a White Tee

Since I’m so new at this I feel rewarded when my blog is finally getting more pageviews, but I need to keep this in mind after I’ve been at it for a while 🙂

J

6. Alyssa

Such an amazing point. there are way too many people who are much too hard on themselves. It’s wonderful to be reminded of the importance of treating yourself every now and then.

7. Bree

Aside from clothes my big “treat” is always travel. I think saving towards it and finally getting to go and discover a new place is the best way to “reward” myself. Aside from travel alone being a reward, the cultures you get to discover reward you with so much knowledge – it’s such a wonderful experience.

8. Diana

Now that I’ve reached 17,000+ followers on my blog on Tumblr, I’ve decided to reward myself by buying the ‘Naked Palette’ by Urban Decay.
    I’ve seen it so many times online and now I finally get to own one!

9. Rachel

Such a firm believer in rewards after certain goals are accomplished! While fashion blogging is somewhat a job, for me it’s a fun outlet, so I don’t want to treat it strictly as a job. A reward is a good way to change that up!

Glitzy Blues

10. Emily Ulrich

Ha ha, for me, heels ARE the big ticket items!

I do really like this post, though! It can be tough feeling like you’ve made any progress when you don’t have something tangible to show for it.