We've talked about how to name your fashion blog on IFB in the past, both in a serious way and a very silly way. It's that first big task when you're getting started, and it's so important. Your blog's brand, identity, online profiles and URL will all be tied to your blog's name. It's your first impression and it matters.
I don't think I even have to say it but: choose wisely, young grasshopper. Why? It's this simple: a bad blog name will make you look bad, and a great blog name can do wonders.
A Bad Blog Name:
- Discredits your talent
- Could confuse people
- Might mis-represent your brand
- Allows people to judge you before they know your content
- Could keep you from getting a project or advertisers
A Good Blog Name:
- Sticks in someone's head
- Might make people laugh
- Has a keyword that search engines love
- Accurately represents who you are
- Is unique and creative
- Is short and sweet
So what's a good blog name and what's a bad blog name? A good blog name probably doesn't include cuss words or crude language. A bad blog name conjures unpleasant images in your head. A good blog name is one you're proud to say out loud. (To anyone.) A good blog name is made better when it can easily be translated into a social media handle, which has a lot to do with length and word choice.
Need some examples? I'll make some up to give you a better idea:
– “Joan's Fashion Blog” is direct, but not very dynamic or memorable.
– “Trends & The Toothbrush” is perhaps memorable, and uses a keyword, but random, and not descriptive. (Unless your blog is about dental care!)
– “Style Roach” is original, but roaches conjure up an unpleasant mental image for many.
– “F*ck Yeah All The Things In My Closet” – The whole “f*ck yeah” thing has been done, and this title is way too long.
Okay, so you want a great blog name that helps (and doesn't hurt) your business. You want it to be the right length, to be clever and easy to remember. Where do you even start? Here are a few topics and elements to get your gears turning when figuring out how to name your blog.
- Your location: Are you greatly impacted and by where you live? Does it influence your style? Do you focus on local fashion and culture?
- Your niche: Are you blogging for a certain body type? Do you dress for a certain career? Do you have a specific style could be or has been named? Consider including words that might indicate what type of blog you have and who your audience is. (This is where that keyword part comes in – it helps with SEO too!)
- Your personal interests:Think about little things that might sound cool: What are your hobbies? Favorite movies? Songs? Poems? Take the words, titles, lyrics, and imagery that come to mind and write them down, twist them around and see what comes out.