Calling all fashion bloggers! If you're planning on attending Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York next season, you can now register for press credentials to attend events, presentations and shows. If you are approved, you will be added to the Fashion GPS portal, which ensures you are included in the designers' synchronized credentialing and event management systems. In simpler terms: it's how you get on the list to get invites!
To register, you'll need to either sign in (if you've done this before) or create a new profile here.
Here are the dates you need to know:
- December 4, 2012: Early Registration is open ($80 fee per individual)
- January 11, 2012: Deadline for early registration and inclusion in the Press and Industry List
- January 11, 2012: Late registration opens ($100 fee per individual)
- January 21 2012: Deadline for inclusion in the Addendum Press and Industry List
- January 31, 2012: Registration closes online
- A headshot in JPEG format, in a file size under 500KB. (If you registered in the last two years for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York, they request that you use the same email address and password used last when registering.)
- If you are not directly employed by a major media outlet (which most bloggers are not), if you are a freelancer or if this is your first time registering for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York, IMG Fashion will not consider your application without:
- A letter of verification signed by your managing editor/producer. (It must be on company letterhead, from the affiliation you are representing.)
- 2 examples of your previous fashion-related coverage. They ask that you include as much information as possible about your affiliation within your application: website links, editorial tears (scans are acceptable) or other supporting documents.
- Applications recieved after January 21st will not be circulated to designers. Approved registrants will receive copies of the official Designer Contact List to apply directly to designers for show invitations.
Should bloggers register?
First and foremost, it's important to note that registration does not guarentee invitations. The list of registered members of the industry and press is what designers and PR firms use as a resource for their invites and guest lists. Press credentials are decided individually by show, so you could get a backstage pass for one show, and standing room for another. To be fair, $80 is not cheap, so you have to decide for yourself if you and your audience need and want this. Additionally, even if you're approved, you may not get all the invites you want – and may have to contact the PR firm directly, which technically, you can do without credentials.