Crutches and Comfort Zones: Let Go, Get Out There & Get Going

shutterstock_50816392

We all have them. And sometimes, we need them. We lean on our crutches and hang out in our comfort zones when the next step –  the forward movement – feels like too much of a risk.

When we think about fashion blogging, I know it can sound a bit silly or overly dramatic to associate running a website with “taking a big risk” or “letting go of your fears.” At the end of the day, it's just the Internet, right?

Maybe, but that doesn't mean we don't face real challenges, get scared, or worry about going out on a limb from time to time (or all the time). Just as we try to force ourselves to conquer and overcome the big things in life, we can scale down that bravery and gusto to the little things too – like our blogs.

Contentment is the enemy of progress, and without progress, you can't achieve success! Your comfort zone is just that, comfortable. Easy. Stagnant. “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” (William Shedd)

So, what's holding you back as a blogger? What are you leaning on?

At least for me, I find that my biggest problem isn't contentment, it's laziness. I use how busy I am with my job as an excuse (or a crutch, if you will) to get me out of feeling bad when I haven't updated my blog. Really, I know that what I want to do (watch TV, sleep) too often gets pushed ahead of what I know I need to do (update my About page, write a new post).

What about your site design? Are you using your platform as a crutch for not taking it to the next level? If you've been thinking about switching off of Tumblr or Blogger and moving to WordPress.org – do it! Do the hard work, make some mistakes and get your hands dirty. If you're only using a certain tool/platform/program because it's easy, you're cheating yourself out of betterment that you deserve!

Maybe you're nervous about pitching yourself to brands and companies. I know it sounds cliche, but sometimes you just have to say to yourself, “What's the worst that could possibly happen?” If you're truthful you'll probably realize – you've got next to nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Ready for yet another cliche-but-true line? Okay good, here it is: Fortune favors the bold. It's a latin proverb, and I think it's really true. In the same way we aspire to live our lives with guts and grace and style – we should aspire to blog that way, too. If you only do one thing this week, why not let go of just one thing that's been holding you back? Take your ship and get out on the sea – ride the waves and lose sight of the shore.

Again I ask, what's holding you back as a blogger?

1. Ashe @ Ash in Fashion

MEH. I am so guilty of laziness. Maybe it’s because I have a full-time job as well, but at the end of the day I just want away from the computer! (Not that the TV is much better…

2. AJ Wears Clothes

I use work as an excuse all the time. I’ve been wanting to incorporate more video into my blog forEVER but since I do video production 40+ hours a week professionally, I talk myself out of doing it for blogging because it’s a total pain in the ass to edit. It’s a terrible excuse, though, because I really should be using those talents instead of squandering them because I’m lazy.

3. Jules

The fear of failure or being perceived as not good enough are my biggest pit falls. I need to get out there and take more photographs but I use the excuse that “I’m not a good photographer,” as a reason not to get out there and do it.

xoxo,

Jules of Canines & Couture

4. Chelsey

I’ve gone back and forth with switching to WordPress for a very long time. Ultimately, I stick with blogger because I love the Google connection and I’m afraid I’ll mess it all up. I just created a facebook page last night after reading the IFB post on the social media statistics, but I’m a bit nervous to “advertise” it to friends and family. That’s what held me up on creating a page, but I have to learn to get over it. If they like it, they like it. If they don’t, they’ll still support it because that’s what friends and family are there for.

5. Terra Robins

I would love to work with other brands, or just collaborate with blogger but I have been using the “i’m not ready” or “its to early” excuse. Asking myself “whats the worse that can happen” is definitely motivation to take more risks 🙂

xx

6. LookSharpSconnie

Laziness for sure.

Fear too. I’m afraid once I start, and get a taste of what real work and real pay-off could feel like, it’ll be non-stop from there.

I never believed the Eleanor Roosevelt quote about how we fear success until now.

7. Yolanda van Kimmenade

I love going out and taking photos but get nervous when asking people on the street if I can photograph their outfit, I need to think of it as I’m doing them a favour by giving them a great shot, not that I am being annoying and asking for a photo. State of mind is everything! You learn more from failure than from success so keep trying!

8. Emily Ulrich

My intimidation with elevating myself as a model/photographer. Not a professional model, of course, but a model on my own blog. I fear coming across contrived or fake, and because of that, I settle for unimaginative poses and compositions. Really, though, I want to express myself on camera in a much more mature and visually graphic way. 🙂

9. Zuriel

Stepping out of comfort zones is thrilling and exciting. I take it one step at a time.

10. Cynthia

Acknowledgement! Personal style bloggers are more likely to get that than ones who are more editorial/non-personal photo content driven. Ditto with those who litter their site with sponsored posts versus non-sponsored content. In both cases, the former get more comments, too.

11. Nadya Helena

PROCRASTINATION! Definitely that. I even use my blog (this one I’m not proud of) as an excuse to skip my classes, and use my assignments as an excuse to not post on the blog. While in truth, I have plenty of time to lie down at my bed or listen to music.

I’ve managed to cut down on procrastinating, though, as the blog starts to grow and I have to answer emails and interact on a daily basis. Phew…

Another thing holding me back is my own pride and ego. I recently opened a new section in my blog for sponsors and illustration requests, but I was always afraid thought “what if people don’t like it?” or “what if my drawings aren’t good enough?”. I know it’s a pretty common issue, but the things keeping us from stepping forward is probably one of those small, common issues

nadya, eyeshadow illustrator